ATI 9250 PCI and radeon module - Hardware

This is a discussion on ATI 9250 PCI and radeon module - Hardware ; I have an ATI 9250 PCI video card in an Asus P5B motherboard running Slackware 11.0 with a 2.6.20.3 kernel. X.org 6.9 #xorg.conf Section "Module" Load "dri" Load "glx" .... Section "Device" Driver "radeon" .... Section "dri" Mode 0666 EndSection ...

  1. ATI 9250 PCI and radeon module

    I have an ATI 9250 PCI video card in an Asus P5B motherboard running
    Slackware 11.0 with a 2.6.20.3 kernel.

    X.org 6.9

    #xorg.conf

    Section "Module"
    Load "dri"
    Load "glx"

    Section "Device"
    Driver "radeon"

    Section "dri"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    The problem is most of the time the system crashes when I start X.
    Sometimes I can get X to load and 3D rendering works. I haven't been
    able to consistantly reproduce the problem. I wish I could give more
    info, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it works and
    when it doesn't. When it doesn't work after doing startx I just get a
    blank screen and the monitor goes into power save mode and the
    keyboard is disabled(num lock or caps lock don't even work) so I have
    to press the reset button to reboot. If I use the standard "vesa"
    module X works every time, but in 2D mode. When X starts with the
    radeon driver, it works great, the only problem is after the next
    reboot it may or may not work again. Very strange.

  2. Re: ATI 9250 PCI and radeon module

    "chad" writes:
    >I have an ATI 9250 PCI video card in an Asus P5B motherboard running
    >Slackware 11.0 with a 2.6.20.3 kernel.
    >
    >X.org 6.9

    >The problem is most of the time the system crashes when I start X.
    >Sometimes I can get X to load and 3D rendering works. I haven't been
    >able to consistantly reproduce the problem. I wish I could give more
    >info, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it works and
    >when it doesn't. When it doesn't work after doing startx I just get a
    >blank screen and the monitor goes into power save mode and the
    >keyboard is disabled(num lock or caps lock don't even work) so I have
    >to press the reset button to reboot. If I use the standard "vesa"
    >module X works every time, but in 2D mode. When X starts with the
    >radeon driver, it works great, the only problem is after the next
    >reboot it may or may not work again. Very strange.

    With my previous Linux installation I tried my Radeon 9250 AGP, which
    had worked nicely with the Radeon driver in other boxes, but got no
    signal (not sure if the keyboard worked or not). Recently I installed
    Debian Etch with X.org 7.1.1, and the same card worked on the same
    machine just fine. I guess you can get your 9250 to work by upgrading
    to a more recent X.Org server.

    - anton