network interface 'lo' disappeared : renamed to 'eth0' ! - Hardware

This is a discussion on network interface 'lo' disappeared : renamed to 'eth0' ! - Hardware ; Hello Here is my problem : I' running a gentoo box, and for unknown reasons, the 'lo' interface has renamed itself to 'lo' Therefore, I have no loopback device (cannot print, for instance). fanless eb # ifconfig -a eth0 Lien ...

  1. network interface 'lo' disappeared : renamed to 'eth0' !

    Hello

    Here is my problem : I' running a gentoo box, and for unknown reasons,
    the 'lo' interface has renamed itself to 'lo'

    Therefore, I have no loopback device (cannot print, for instance).

    fanless eb # ifconfig -a
    eth0 Lien encap:Boucle locale
    inet adr:127.0.0.1 Masque:255.0.0.0
    LOOPBACK MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    eth1 Lien encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:E6:40:F5:4D
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interruption:16

    sit0 Lien encap:IPv6-dans-IPv4
    NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    I have no idea what can cause this, and worse, I don't know where to look
    at.

    Of course, starting the net.lo service fails :

    fanless eb # /etc/init.d/net.lo start
    * Starting lo
    * Bringing up lo
    * 127.0.0.1/8
    * network interface lo does not exist
    * Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)

    Any clue ?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: network interface 'lo' disappeared : renamed to 'eth0' !

    eb wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Here is my problem : I' running a gentoo box, and for unknown reasons,
    > the 'lo' interface has renamed itself to 'lo'

    can you post your "/etc/conf.d/net"?

    or maybe you have disabled loopback support in kernel?

    --
    Sorry for the fake e-mail address, you need to remove ".NO" and "SPAM."
    before sending me any mails...

  3. Re: network interface 'lo' disappeared : renamed to 'eth0' !

    Martin Hierholzer wrote:

    > eb wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Here is my problem : I' running a gentoo box, and for unknown reasons,
    >> the 'lo' interface has renamed itself to 'lo'

    > can you post your "/etc/conf.d/net"?
    >
    > or maybe you have disabled loopback support in kernel?

    /etc/conf.d/net is empty.
    when eth0 was properly initialised, it used dhcp, hence the empty 'net' file

    It is extremely unlikely that loopback has been disabled in the kernel,
    since I have not changed the kernel for several months.

    The loopback device still exist under the name 'eth0', but it seems not
    usable under this name ...

    Is there a module I should see with lsmod ?

    Or anything else ?

  4. Re: network interface 'lo' disappeared : renamed to 'eth0' !

    eb wrote:

    > The loopback device still exist under the name 'eth0', but it seems not
    > usable under this name ...

    On my Debian machine, the loopback device is called lo, and is independent of
    eth0:

    $ cat /etc/network/interfaces

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    # The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 10.0.0.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 10.0.0.255
    gateway 10.0.0.1
    #dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
    dns-nameservers 10.0.0.1

    Maybe you need something like that on your machine.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: network interface 'lo' disappeared : renamed to 'eth0' !

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > eb wrote:
    >
    >> The loopback device still exist under the name 'eth0', but it seems not
    >> usable under this name ...

    > On my Debian machine, the loopback device is called lo, and is independent
    > of eth0:
    >
    > $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
    > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
    >
    > # The loopback network interface
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >
    > # The primary network interface
    > auto eth0
    > iface eth0 inet static
    > address 10.0.0.2
    > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > broadcast 10.0.0.255
    > gateway 10.0.0.1
    > #dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
    > dns-nameservers 10.0.0.1
    >
    > Maybe you need something like that on your machine.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    Well, unfortunately, one does not apply Debian file structure to a Gentoo
    box ...
    There is no such file here.

    But the problem got solved by chance : it was an obnoxious udev rule.

+ Reply to Thread