Linux on shuttles? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Linux on shuttles? - Hardware ; Hi - has anyone managed to successfully run ubuntu, opensuse (or any other flavour really) on a Shuttle SD37P2 (v2)? I'm thinking about getting one and would ideally like to dual boot with linux. -tia...

  1. Linux on shuttles?

    Hi - has anyone managed to successfully run ubuntu, opensuse (or any other
    flavour really) on a Shuttle SD37P2 (v2)? I'm thinking about getting one
    and would ideally like to dual boot with linux.

    -tia

  2. Re: Linux on shuttles?

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:58:45 +0000, SparkysDream wrote:

    > Hi - has anyone managed to successfully run ubuntu, opensuse (or any other
    > flavour really) on a Shuttle SD37P2 (v2)? I'm thinking about getting one
    > and would ideally like to dual boot with linux.
    >
    > -tia

    Why would that be an issue? I do run Gentoo on my via mini-itx which is in
    some ways similar - I've installed several other distros - mandrake in the
    past and debian quite recently.

  3. Re: Linux on shuttles?

    "ray" wrote...

    >> Hi - has anyone managed to successfully run ubuntu, opensuse (or any
    >> other
    >> flavour really) on a Shuttle SD37P2 (v2)? I'm thinking about getting one
    >> and would ideally like to dual boot with linux.

    > Why would that be an issue? I do run Gentoo on my via mini-itx which is in
    > some ways similar - I've installed several other distros - mandrake in the
    > past and debian quite recently.

    Well I've looked on the opensuse hardware compatibility guide and it only
    lists two old shuttles. I just want to make sure before I fork out 300 on
    a barebones shuttle that it'll work ok with linux.

  4. Re: Linux on shuttles?

    SparkysDream wrote:

    > "ray" wrote...
    >
    >>> Hi - has anyone managed to successfully run ubuntu, opensuse (or any
    >>> other
    >>> flavour really) on a Shuttle SD37P2 (v2)? I'm thinking about getting
    >>> one and would ideally like to dual boot with linux.

    >> Why would that be an issue? I do run Gentoo on my via mini-itx which is
    >> in some ways similar - I've installed several other distros - mandrake in
    >> the past and debian quite recently.

    > Well I've looked on the opensuse hardware compatibility guide and it only
    > lists two old shuttles. I just want to make sure before I fork out 300
    > on a barebones shuttle that it'll work ok with linux.

    I don't know about your specific model but I'm running Kubuntu 6.06.1 32 bit
    bit on a Shuttle w/Athlon64 X2/2GB RAM/250B HDD/DVD/RW VERY successfully.
    I also run ubuntu on numerous other Shuttles as servers exceptionally well.

    I am not aware of anyone with issues so far.

    bobmct

  5. Re: Linux on shuttles?

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:11:15 +0000, SparkysDream wrote:

    > "ray" wrote...
    >
    >>> Hi - has anyone managed to successfully run ubuntu, opensuse (or any
    >>> other
    >>> flavour really) on a Shuttle SD37P2 (v2)? I'm thinking about getting one
    >>> and would ideally like to dual boot with linux.

    >> Why would that be an issue? I do run Gentoo on my via mini-itx which is in
    >> some ways similar - I've installed several other distros - mandrake in the
    >> past and debian quite recently.

    > Well I've looked on the opensuse hardware compatibility guide and it only
    > lists two old shuttles. I just want to make sure before I fork out 300 on
    > a barebones shuttle that it'll work ok with linux.

    Reasonable enough; I was just wondering if you had any specific concerns.

  6. Re: Linux on shuttles?

    ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:11:15 +0000, SparkysDream wrote:
    >
    >> "ray" wrote...

    >>> Why would that be an issue? I do run Gentoo on my via mini-itx which is
    >>> in some ways similar - I've installed several other distros - mandrake
    >>> in the past and debian quite recently.

    >> Well I've looked on the opensuse hardware compatibility guide and it only
    >> lists two old shuttles. I just want to make sure before I fork out 300
    >> on a barebones shuttle that it'll work ok with linux.

    > Reasonable enough; I was just wondering if you had any specific concerns.

    I have a Shuttle SB65G2 running Debian Sid (using it right now); used to run
    Libranet. Everything (including built-in usb wifi) works fine. I don't
    think I'd get another one due to the difficulty/impossibility of getting
    replacement parts plus the struggle to work on it (big hands, weak eyes!!)

  7. Re: Linux on shuttles?

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:58:45 -0000, SparkysDream wrote:

    >Hi - has anyone managed to successfully run ubuntu, opensuse (or any other
    >flavour really) on a Shuttle SD37P2 (v2)? I'm thinking about getting one
    >and would ideally like to dual boot with linux.

    I tried running linux on a shuttle sn25p for a while. It's fan controller
    didn't work while I was running linux. I had two choices: a system that
    howled incredibly loud (medium speed), or a system that slowly baked (low
    speed). I dumped it for a nexus breeze -- a far quieter system but about
    6 times the size.

    Assuming that the fan controller works for you, avoid running a very
    hot processor or video card. You don't want it running at medium or high
    speeds except in rare instances.

+ Reply to Thread