Linux media server/PVR - What tuner? Soundcard? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Linux media server/PVR - What tuner? Soundcard? - Hardware ; Looking at building a Linux based media PC/PVR. I'm currently using Windows MediaCenter 2005 with an ATI Theatre 550 based PCI TV tuner (harware encoding). I also have available a MSI TV@nywhere Master PCI card TV/Radio tuner (software encoder) and ...

  1. Linux media server/PVR - What tuner? Soundcard?

    Looking at building a Linux based media PC/PVR. I'm currently using Windows
    MediaCenter 2005 with an ATI Theatre 550 based PCI TV tuner (harware
    encoding). I also have available a MSI TV@nywhere Master PCI card TV/Radio
    tuner (software encoder) and a USB 2.0, dual tuner Adaptec 3610 TV/Radio
    tuner.

    Are any of these viable under Linux? Most likely will be running OpenSUSE
    10.1.

    What is the preferred hardware for a Linux based PVR?

    Also interested in hearing what sound cards work well. I've got a AuzenTech
    Xplosion! PCI soundcard (Support SUCKS - avoid at all costs) with optical
    output to my home theatre. This card does hardware Dolby Surround and DTS
    encoding on the fly. I don't see any Linux drivers on the Auzentech website.
    The card is based on the CMedia CMI8770 chipset.

    Any pointers?

    Thx!

  2. Re: Linux media server/PVR - What tuner? Soundcard?

    Noozer wrote:
    > Looking at building a Linux based media PC/PVR. I'm currently using Windows
    > MediaCenter 2005 with an ATI Theatre 550 based PCI TV tuner (harware
    > encoding). I also have available a MSI TV@nywhere Master PCI card TV/Radio
    > tuner (software encoder) and a USB 2.0, dual tuner Adaptec 3610 TV/Radio
    > tuner.
    >
    > Are any of these viable under Linux? Most likely will be running OpenSUSE
    > 10.1.
    >
    > What is the preferred hardware for a Linux based PVR?

    For that sort of information http://www.linuxtv.org/ is a good starting
    point.

    > Also interested in hearing what sound cards work well. I've got a AuzenTech
    > Xplosion! PCI soundcard (Support SUCKS - avoid at all costs) with optical
    > output to my home theatre. This card does hardware Dolby Surround and DTS
    > encoding on the fly. I don't see any Linux drivers on the Auzentech website.

    The manufacturer's website is usually the last place to look for Linux
    drivers.

    > The card is based on the CMedia CMI8770 chipset.

    Check http://www.alsa-project.org/ to see if that chipset is supported
    by the latest ALSA drivers. Note that ALSA is included with all current
    distributions, so you won't likely need to download the drivers from
    that site.

  3. Re: Linux media server/PVR - What tuner? Soundcard?

    John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > Noozer wrote:
    >> What is the preferred hardware for a Linux based PVR?

    > For that sort of information http://www.linuxtv.org/ is a good starting
    > point.

    Also, check out MythTV:
    http://www.mythtv.org/

    PVR Hardware database:
    http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-view_articles.php

    Jarod Wilson's guide to installing MythTV on Fedora:
    http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/

    There are lots of resources out there...

  4. Re: Linux media server/PVR - What tuner? Soundcard?

    Noozer wrote:

    > Looking at building a Linux based media PC/PVR. I'm currently using
    > Windows MediaCenter 2005 with an ATI Theatre 550 based PCI TV tuner
    > (harware encoding). I also have available a MSI TV@nywhere Master PCI card
    > TV/Radio tuner (software encoder) and a USB 2.0, dual tuner Adaptec 3610
    > TV/Radio tuner.
    >
    > Are any of these viable under Linux? Most likely will be running OpenSUSE
    > 10.1.

    [snip]

    Try it and see. My guess is yes. I have a different MSI TV@nywhere
    PCI card that works. You might need a new kernel and / or driver
    from linuxtv.org.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.