Re: Server running SLOW thanks to high-traffic site, what to do? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: Server running SLOW thanks to high-traffic site, what to do? - Hardware ; In comp.os.linux.hardware Jason : > I have a semi-managed web server, with about 40 active sites on it. > Most of them are pretty low-traffic (less than 20 unique visitors a > day), but one site (mine) has roughly 6,000 ...

  1. Re: Server running SLOW thanks to high-traffic site, what to do?

    In comp.os.linux.hardware Jason :
    > I have a semi-managed web server, with about 40 active sites on it.
    > Most of them are pretty low-traffic (less than 20 unique visitors a
    > day), but one site (mine) has roughly 6,000 unique visitors a day. The
    > load is really dragging the server speed down, and I simply don't know
    > what to do!

    This is by no means high-traffic, this is nothing. Did run a site
    with more then 1,000,000 visitors/day long ago with a fraction of
    your hardware and now problems even with a couple of hundreds
    concurrent users.

    > The server is:

    > GenuineIntel Celeron CPU 2.40GHz
    > Cache size: 128 KB
    > RAM: 1G

    > The OS is RedHat Enterprise 4 i686.

    All patches applied?

    > When I run "servup" through "Web Host Manager" (WHM), this is what it
    > tells me right now:

    > cpsrvd up
    > named (9.2.4) up
    > Server Load 4.88 (1 cpu)
    > Memory Used 33.1 %
    > Swap Used 15.37 %
    > Disk hda7 (/) DMA+ 17 %
    > Disk hda1 (/boot) DMA+ 12 %
    > Disk hda5 (/home) DMA+ 8 %
    > Disk hda6 (/tmp) DMA+ 5 %
    > Disk hda2 (/usr) DMA+ 49 %
    > Disk hda3 (/var) DMA+ 47 %

    > I can't honestly say that I understand this report, though.

    Doesn't look that bad, despite the load. This is where you need
    to start investigating. Top/sar should give a first overview what
    is going on. Though I dunno "servup" or "Web Host Manager" at
    all? I'd look into how the load is bound (top) and work on from
    there to dig deeper into the problem.

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 205: Quantum dynamics are affecting the transistors

  2. Re: Server running SLOW thanks to high-traffic site, what to do?

    > Doesn't look that bad, despite the load. This is where you need
    > to start investigating. Top/sar should give a first overview what
    > is going on. Though I dunno "servup" or "Web Host Manager" at
    > all? I'd look into how the load is bound (top) and work on from
    > there to dig deeper into the problem.
    >
    > Good luck

    Thanks to all of you, this has been a lot of help. I think that the
    problem really was with the database, and not hardware related (you
    guys saved me a ton of wasted money that I don't currently have on
    that one).

    The site has a discussion board, and recently a topic came up on CNN
    that was heavily discussed on this board. Unfortunately for me, when
    you searched for that topic my site came up as #1 in all major search
    engines, so I was getting several thousand unique visitors in an hour,
    all aimed at that one thread. I have been using flat text files
    instead of a structured database, and the board was really not
    designed for that.

    I spent a few hours redesigning the board to use MySQL, and that
    seemed to resolve the problem.

    Thanks again,

    Jason

  3. Re: Server running SLOW thanks to high-traffic site, what to do?

    Jason wrote:

    > I have been using flat text files
    > instead of a structured database, and the board was really not
    > designed for that.

    Wow, you may consider posting part of the original code to
    thedailywtf.com

    - Miguel