Are USB devices the same worldwide? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Are USB devices the same worldwide? - Hardware ; I hope this isn't too stupid a question. Should a European USB device be expected to operate on a Linux system in North America, and vice-versa? I have a USB->Serial adapter made for Europe which doesn't work on my system ...

  1. Are USB devices the same worldwide?

    I hope this isn't too stupid a question.

    Should a European USB device be expected to operate on a Linux
    system in North America, and vice-versa? I have a USB->Serial
    adapter made for Europe which doesn't work on my system here in
    the USA.

    The full story:

    The European manufacturer of a 230V, 50Hz RS232 appliance (otherwise
    equivalent to a 120V, 60Hz USA model) supplies a custom USB->Serial
    adapter cable with their product. It appears to use a Prolific
    chipset. Some non-North American users of my (FOSS) software have
    reported problems with this particular adapter locking up after a few
    minutes or hours of operation which disappeared after they replaced
    the custom adapter with an ordinary retail USB->Serial adapter.

    One European user of my software who has an available RS232 port
    and _never used_ his custom adapter gave it to me to look at.
    It doesn't work at all under either Fedora Core 3 or 6 on my (USA)
    system, although other USB-Serial adapters I have with Prolific
    chipsets do work.

    I tried downloading the Windows XP driver from the manufacturer's
    website and loading it on a Windows XP system but the adapter
    doesn't work there either - there's no indication Windows even
    knows anything has been plugged into the USB socket.

    The simplest explanation is that this adapter is just defective,
    but ...

    FWIW, the output from 'dmesg' (FC-3) follows.

    Thanks for your advice.

    Regards,
    Charles Sullivan

    usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
    usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
    usb 2-1: device not accepting address 5, error -71
    usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
    usb 2-1: device not accepting address 6, error -71

  2. Re: Are USB devices the same worldwide?

    Charles Sullivan wrote:

    > I hope this isn't too stupid a question.
    >
    > Should a European USB device be expected to operate on a Linux
    > system in North America, and vice-versa? I have a USB->Serial
    > adapter made for Europe which doesn't work on my system here in
    > the USA.

    They should work. Only exception are wireless adapters (TV, Wifi),
    which must conform to a specific country and may not work somewhere
    else.

    USB-serial is normally not an issue.

    > ================================================== =========
    > usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    > usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    > usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    > usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
    > usb 2-1: device not accepting address 5, error -71
    > usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
    > usb 2-1: device not accepting address 6, error -71
    > ================================================== =========

    Looks like a hardware problem. You could also look
    for environmental conditions, like temperature or humidity.
    It could make a difference with a bad design.

    I have encountered USB devices with bad contact plating, which
    required several insertion cycles before they started working.
    Never before used could mean crud on the contacts.

    Kind regards,

    Iwo

  3. Re: Are USB devices the same worldwide?

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:23:54 +0000, Iwo Mergler wrote:

    > Charles Sullivan wrote:
    >
    >> I hope this isn't too stupid a question.
    >>
    >> Should a European USB device be expected to operate on a Linux
    >> system in North America, and vice-versa? I have a USB->Serial
    >> adapter made for Europe which doesn't work on my system here in
    >> the USA.
    >>

    > They should work. Only exception are wireless adapters (TV, Wifi),
    > which must conform to a specific country and may not work somewhere
    > else.
    >
    > USB-serial is normally not an issue.
    >

    >> ================================================== =========
    >> usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    >> usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    >> usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    >> usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
    >> usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    >> usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    >> usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
    >> usb 2-1: device not accepting address 5, error -71
    >> usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
    >> usb 2-1: device not accepting address 6, error -71
    >> ================================================== =========

    > Looks like a hardware problem. You could also look
    > for environmental conditions, like temperature or humidity.
    > It could make a difference with a bad design.
    >
    > I have encountered USB devices with bad contact plating, which
    > required several insertion cycles before they started working.
    > Never before used could mean crud on the contacts.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Iwo

    Thanks Iwo. I appreciate your response. Multiple insertions don't
    help. I'll probably hacksaw it open to satisfy my curiosity.

    Regards,
    Charles Sullivan

+ Reply to Thread