CPU for a new PC - Hardware

This is a discussion on CPU for a new PC - Hardware ; Which one will you choose? AMD64 or Core2Duo? -- Jerry Wong http://www.geocities.com/jerrywong.geo 但我*抪茈L的應許、 盼望新天新地,有義居在其中。(彼後3:13) But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness. (2 Peter 3:13)...

  1. CPU for a new PC

    Which one will you choose? AMD64 or Core2Duo?

    --
    Jerry Wong

    http://www.geocities.com/jerrywong.geo
    但我*抪茈L的應許、 盼望新天新地,有義居在其中。(彼後3:13)
    But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to
    new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness. (2 Peter 3:13)

  2. Re: CPU for a new PC

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:43:54 +0800, Jerry Wong wrote:

    > Which one will you choose? AMD64 or Core2Duo?

    $$$$$$$$

  3. Re: CPU for a new PC

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:43:54 +0800, Jerry Wong wrote:

    > Which one will you choose? AMD64 or Core2Duo?

    Core2 is 30% faster on a clock for clock basis, for some applications
    it's 70% faster (because of the 4M caches). The Core2 also has more
    overclocking capabilities.

    Avoid Abit motherboards. I have two, an AB9 Pro with an E6700 Core2 and
    an KN9 with a X2 3600+ 65nm. Lm-sensors doesn't work on the AB9 Pro and
    the system crashes if you use the on-demand speed governor. It's
    completely stable with the Performance speed governor. I can't get FC6 to
    load on the KN9, I was able to get Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (herd 5) to load on
    it but Feisty Faun is no where near usable, it's an alpha and shows it.
    Also the BIOS on the KN9 reports the wrong temperatures for the 65nm
    A64s. They haven't done a BIOS update in 6 months so I expect they don't
    intend to. All in all Abit should be avoided.

    I've been happy with MSI motherboards, I have two of those also, but they
    are older so I can't speak for the compatibility of the current boards.
    Also for any new system make sure that all of the disks, including the
    DVD, are SATA. The JMicron PATA controller that's on all the Core2
    motherboards is a piece of crap, you want to stick to stick with the SATA
    ports on the Intel ICH8R which work fine.

  4. Re: CPU for a new PC

    General Schvantzkoph writes:

    > On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:43:54 +0800, Jerry Wong wrote:
    >
    >> Which one will you choose? AMD64 or Core2Duo?

    > Core2 is 30% faster on a clock for clock basis, for some applications
    > it's 70% faster (because of the 4M caches). The Core2 also has more
    > overclocking capabilities.

    Isn't that the same as saying that the Intel chips as standard run at
    less than full speed, or that the AMD chips are "overclocked" out of
    the box?

    > I've been happy with MSI motherboards, I have two of those also, but they
    > are older so I can't speak for the compatibility of the current boards.
    > Also for any new system make sure that all of the disks, including the
    > DVD, are SATA. The JMicron PATA controller that's on all the Core2
    > motherboards is a piece of crap, you want to stick to stick with the SATA
    > ports on the Intel ICH8R which work fine.

    I have an nForce n680i based motherboard (EVGA brand, nVidia designed)
    with a Core2 quad CPU. It's running Linux very nicely.

    --
    M幩s Rullg緳d
    mans@mansr.com

  5. Re: CPU for a new PC

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= writes:
    >> The Core2 also has more
    >> overclocking capabilities.

    >Isn't that the same as saying that the Intel chips as standard run at
    >less than full speed, or that the AMD chips are "overclocked" out of
    >the box?

    Not really. I guess that most of these chips have not been tested for
    higher speeds (apart from the usual safety margin), so one cannot say
    that they run at less than full speed (as far as Intel can tell). So,
    while most of these chips may overclock a lot, others may overclock
    not so well.

    The market situation does not require that Intel tests and bins their
    chips at higher speeds. If AMD becomes more competetive with the K8L,
    we will see faster Core 2 Duos being sold.

    - anton

  6. Re: CPU for a new PC

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:49:03 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:43:54 +0800, Jerry Wong wrote:
    >
    >> Which one will you choose? AMD64 or Core2Duo?
    >>

    > Core2 is 30% faster on a clock for clock basis, for some applications
    > it's 70% faster (because of the 4M caches). The Core2 also has more
    > overclocking capabilities.
    >
    > Avoid Abit motherboards. I have two, an AB9 Pro with an E6700 Core2 and
    > an KN9 with a X2 3600+ 65nm. Lm-sensors doesn't work on the AB9 Pro and
    > the system crashes if you use the on-demand speed governor. It's
    > completely stable with the Performance speed governor. I can't get FC6 to
    > load on the KN9, I was able to get Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (herd 5) to load on
    > [snip]

    Strange. I have the Abit KN9, too, but with the Athlon64 single core CPU,
    and had absolutely no problems installing FC6_64 on it. Recognized and
    configured all the hardware properly, which is a first with Fedora Core.
    On my previous system, which over the years ran Mandrake 8, Slackware 8 &
    9, FC3,4 & 5, I always had to manually correct something the installer got
    wrong.

    Before installing FC6_64, I even tested the system with the FC6 LiveCD,
    both running off the CD and running entirely in RAM. Worked fine. I have
    yet to have any problems with my KN9.

    What happens when you try to install FC6 on your KN9 system? Since Ubuntu
    worked. I'd say you've got a piece of very new hardware installed for
    which FC6 has no drivers, and that's hanging the install. Just a guess.
    For compatibility, I always buy hardware that's 6 months to a year older
    that the version of Linux I want to install. Plenty of time for drivers
    to be written and incorporated into the distro.

    Stef

  7. Re: CPU for a new PC

    Jerry Wong wrote:

    > Which one will you choose? AMD64 or Core2Duo?

    An Intel quad core QX6700.

  8. Re: CPU for a new PC

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 06:53:03 +0000, Stefan Patric wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:49:03 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:43:54 +0800, Jerry Wong wrote:
    >>
    >>> Which one will you choose? AMD64 or Core2Duo?
    >>>

    >> Core2 is 30% faster on a clock for clock basis, for some applications
    >> it's 70% faster (because of the 4M caches). The Core2 also has more
    >> overclocking capabilities.
    >>
    >> Avoid Abit motherboards. I have two, an AB9 Pro with an E6700 Core2 and
    >> an KN9 with a X2 3600+ 65nm. Lm-sensors doesn't work on the AB9 Pro and
    >> the system crashes if you use the on-demand speed governor. It's
    >> completely stable with the Performance speed governor. I can't get FC6
    >> to load on the KN9, I was able to get Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (herd 5) to
    >> load on [snip]

    > Strange. I have the Abit KN9, too, but with the Athlon64 single core
    > CPU, and had absolutely no problems installing FC6_64 on it. Recognized
    > and configured all the hardware properly, which is a first with Fedora
    > Core. On my previous system, which over the years ran Mandrake 8,
    > Slackware 8 & 9, FC3,4 & 5, I always had to manually correct something
    > the installer got wrong.
    >
    > Before installing FC6_64, I even tested the system with the FC6 LiveCD,
    > both running off the CD and running entirely in RAM. Worked fine. I have
    > yet to have any problems with my KN9.
    >
    > What happens when you try to install FC6 on your KN9 system? Since
    > Ubuntu worked. I'd say you've got a piece of very new hardware
    > installed for which FC6 has no drivers, and that's hanging the install.
    > Just a guess. For compatibility, I always buy hardware that's 6 months
    > to a year older that the version of Linux I want to install. Plenty of
    > time for drivers to be written and incorporated into the distro.
    >
    > Stef

    The install hangs at various places. I have an SATA DVD RW on the box,
    that might be the problem.

  9. Re: CPU for a new PC

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:59:47 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 06:53:03 +0000, Stefan Patric wrote:

    >>> Core2 is 30% faster on a clock for clock basis, for some applications
    >>> it's 70% faster (because of the 4M caches). The Core2 also has more
    >>> overclocking capabilities.
    >>>
    >>> Avoid Abit motherboards. I have two, an AB9 Pro with an E6700 Core2 and
    >>> an KN9 with a X2 3600+ 65nm. Lm-sensors doesn't work on the AB9 Pro and
    >>> the system crashes if you use the on-demand speed governor. It's
    >>> completely stable with the Performance speed governor. I can't get FC6
    >>> to load on the KN9, I was able to get Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (herd 5) to
    >>> load on [snip]

    >> Strange. I have the Abit KN9, too, but with the Athlon64 single core
    >> CPU, and had absolutely no problems installing FC6_64 on it. Recognized
    >> and configured all the hardware properly, which is a first with Fedora
    >> Core. On my previous system, which over the years ran Mandrake 8,
    >> Slackware 8 & 9, FC3,4 & 5, I always had to manually correct something
    >> the installer got wrong.
    >>
    >> Before installing FC6_64, I even tested the system with the FC6 LiveCD,
    >> both running off the CD and running entirely in RAM. Worked fine. I have
    >> yet to have any problems with my KN9.
    >>
    >> What happens when you try to install FC6 on your KN9 system? Since
    >> Ubuntu worked. I'd say you've got a piece of very new hardware
    >> installed for which FC6 has no drivers, and that's hanging the install.
    >> Just a guess. For compatibility, I always buy hardware that's 6 months
    >> to a year older that the version of Linux I want to install. Plenty of
    >> time for drivers to be written and incorporated into the distro.
    >>
    >> Stef

    > The install hangs at various places. I have an SATA DVD RW on the box,
    > that might be the problem.

    My system has SATA hard drives, but no DVD, either SATA or IDE. Just used
    an old 52x ide Liteon CDRW that I had sitting on the shelf. I have no
    need really for playing or burning DVDs. When I do, I'll install a SATA
    one. If the system chokes on it, then we'll know. ;-)

    If you are installing FC6 using the DVD drive, then I doubt that it's the
    problem, unless the drive has intermittent problems. Try disconnecting it
    and hooking up an IDE CD drive, installing of CDs, and see what happens.

    Have you checksumed your install media, files, etc?

    Stef

  10. Re: CPU for a new PC

    > If you are installing FC6 using the DVD drive, then I doubt that it's
    > the problem, unless the drive has intermittent problems. Try
    > disconnecting it and hooking up an IDE CD drive, installing of CDs, and
    > see what happens.
    >
    > Have you checksumed your install media, files, etc?
    >
    > Stef

    I've used the same DVD on several systems, this is the only one where
    there is a problem. I suppose that the combination of this particular DVD
    reader and this particular DVD.

  11. Re: CPU for a new PC

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:37:18 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >> If you are installing FC6 using the DVD drive, then I doubt that it's
    >> the problem, unless the drive has intermittent problems. Try
    >> disconnecting it and hooking up an IDE CD drive, installing of CDs, and
    >> see what happens.
    >>
    >> Have you checksumed your install media, files, etc?
    >>
    >> Stef

    > I've used the same DVD on several systems, this is the only one where
    > there is a problem. I suppose that the combination of this particular DVD
    > reader and this particular DVD.

    Could be. However, it may not be the DVD, but something else, since the
    drive works fine in other machines. Put a working CD drive in the box
    leaving in the DVD, and see if you have problems installing off CDs. If
    you do have problems, remove the DVD drive and try again. If everything
    goes fine one way or the other, you'll know if the DVD is or is not the
    problem.

    You could even have bad RAM. Problems like these are hard to track down.

    Stef

+ Reply to Thread