widescreen monitors and aspect ratio - Hardware

This is a discussion on widescreen monitors and aspect ratio - Hardware ; When a widescreen monitor is attached is the standard desktop stretched horizontally to fit , thereby turning circles into ellipses, or is extra real estate added to the desktop to pad it out. And if so how. -- regards faeychild ...

  1. widescreen monitors and aspect ratio

    --
    regards faeychild
    (Registered GNU/Linux user #374302)

  2. Re: widescreen monitors and aspect ratio

    faeychild wrote:
    > When a widescreen monitor is attached is the standard desktop stretched
    > horizontally to fit , thereby turning circles into ellipses,

    That would not be the right way to do it.

    > or is extra real estate added to the desktop to pad it out.

    I haven't tried any widescreen monitor myself, but I suppose it is done
    that way.

    > And if so how.

    This is what things look like on my system:

    $ xdpyinfo | grep -A 1 dimensions
    dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (361x271 millimeters)
    resolution: 90x96 dots per inch

    X knows that the resolution is 1280x1024 of course. Somehow it also knows
    that the size of my monitor is 361x271 millimeters. With these numbers X
    is able to calculate the resolution 90x96 dots per inch. The ratio 90/96
    can then be used to make circles round as they shall be. Another widscreen
    monitor would have another size and it would probably also have another
    number of pixels, something like 1920x1200. The numbers of pixels compared
    with the width and height if the monitor will give a resolution which
    probably still will be somewhere around 90x90 dpi, most monitors prefer
    resoluitons with rather square pixels.

    So, how does X know about the size of my monitor? The answer is that my
    monitor tells X about its size with the DDC signals (also known as EDID
    signals). From my /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

    -8<--------------------------------------------------------
    (II) RADEON(0): I2C bus "DDC" initialized.
    (II) RADEON(0): Legacy BIOS detected
    (II) RADEON(0): Connector1: DDCType-3, DACType-0, TMDSType--1, ConnectorType-2
    (II) RADEON(0): Connector0: DDCType-2, DACType-1, TMDSType-0, ConnectorType-3
    (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
    (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
    (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
    (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
    (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
    (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
    (II) RADEON(0): DDC Type: 2, Detected Type: 0
    (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
    (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
    (II) RADEON(0): DDC Type: 3, Detected Type: 1
    (II) RADEON(0): EDID data from the display on port 2-----------------------
    (II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: AOC Model: a995 Serial#: 62922
    (II) RADEON(0): Year: 2001 Week: 23
    (II) RADEON(0): EDID Version: 1.2
    (II) RADEON(0): Analog Display Input, Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.700 V
    (II) RADEON(0): Sync: Separate
    (II) RADEON(0): Max H-Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 36 vert.: 27
    (II) RADEON(0): Gamma: 2.20
    (II) RADEON(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
    (II) RADEON(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
    (II) RADEON(0): redX: 0.626 redY: 0.340 greenX: 0.288 greenY: 0.608
    (II) RADEON(0): blueX: 0.148 blueY: 0.064 whiteX: 0.283 whiteY: 0.298
    (II) RADEON(0): Supported VESA Video Modes:
    (II) RADEON(0): 720x400@70Hz
    (II) RADEON(0): 640x480@60Hz
    (II) RADEON(0): 640x480@75Hz
    (II) RADEON(0): 800x600@75Hz
    (II) RADEON(0): 1024x768@75Hz
    (II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
    (II) RADEON(0): Supported Future Video Modes:
    (II) RADEON(0): #0: hsize: 640 vsize 480 refresh: 85 vid: 22833
    (II) RADEON(0): #1: hsize: 800 vsize 600 refresh: 85 vid: 22853
    (II) RADEON(0): #2: hsize: 1024 vsize 768 refresh: 85 vid: 22881
    (II) RADEON(0): #3: hsize: 1280 vsize 960 refresh: 85 vid: 22913
    (II) RADEON(0): #4: hsize: 1280 vsize 1024 refresh: 75 vid: 36737
    (II) RADEON(0): #5: hsize: 1280 vsize 1024 refresh: 85 vid: 39297
    (II) RADEON(0): #6: hsize: 1600 vsize 1200 refresh: 75 vid: 20393
    (II) RADEON(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
    (II) RADEON(0): clock: 157.5 MHz Image Size: 360 x 270 mm
    (II) RADEON(0): h_active: 1280 h_sync: 1344 h_sync_end 1504 h_blank_end 1728 h_border: 0
    (II) RADEON(0): v_active: 1024 v_sync: 1025 v_sync_end 1028 v_blanking: 1072 v_border: 0
    (II) RADEON(0): Serial No: YESE062922
    (II) RADEON(0): Ranges: V min: 50 V max: 160 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 95 kHz, PixClock max 200 MHz
    (II) RADEON(0): Monitor name: C993
    -8<--------------------------------------------------------

    Above you can se a lot of useful information that my monitor is able to
    tell X. Note the line which says 36 and 27 cm and the line that says 360 x
    270 mm.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: widescreen monitors and aspect ratio

    faeychild wrote:

    > When a widescreen monitor is attached is the standard desktop stretched
    > horizontally to fit , thereby turning circles into ellipses, or is extra
    > real estate added to the desktop to pad it out. And if so how.

    Extra real estate is added - it's never done any other way.

    Cheers

    Tim

  4. Re: widescreen monitors and aspect ratio

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:07:59 +1100, faeychild wrote:

    > When a widescreen monitor is attached is the standard desktop stretched
    > horizontally to fit , thereby turning circles into ellipses, or is extra
    > real estate added to the desktop to pad it out. And if so how.

    That would depend entirely on how you set the resolution for your video
    driver.

  5. Re: widescreen monitors and aspect ratio

    On 2007-03-19, faeychild rambled on thusly:

    > When a widescreen monitor is attached is the standard desktop stretched
    > horizontally to fit , thereby turning circles into ellipses, or is extra
    > real estate added to the desktop to pad it out. And if so how.

    Depends on how you configure your xorg.conf (or whatever your X
    configuration file is). You should add in a resolution that your widescreen
    monitor supports; that configuration will be more towards 16x9 than 4x3. So
    you'll end up with a more desktop area.

    It took me a while to get used to widescreen monitor...

    --
    Michael Fierro biffster@NOSPAM-REALLYgmail.com
    Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro AIM: mfierro1

  6. Re: widescreen monitors and aspect ratio

    faeychild wrote:

    > When a widescreen monitor is attached is the standard desktop stretched
    > horizontally to fit , thereby turning circles into ellipses, or is extra
    > real estate added to the desktop to pad it out. And if so how.

    OK thanks. I though it would be some thing like the answers I received. I
    am drooling over a viewsonic I saw at a swapmeet. It had sufficient
    vertical image area to be usefull. The 17 -19 inch widescreen monitors are
    all far to narrow.

    Are there any docs or sites that address this widescreen , aspect ratio,
    geometry issue technically. Googling 'widscreen monitor and aspect ratio
    " didn't turn up much.

    --
    regards faeychild
    (Registered GNU/Linux user #374302)

  7. Re: widescreen monitors and aspect ratio

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:25:16 +1100, faeychild wrote:

    > faeychild wrote:
    >

    >> When a widescreen monitor is attached is the standard desktop stretched
    >> horizontally to fit , thereby turning circles into ellipses, or is extra
    >> real estate added to the desktop to pad it out. And if so how.
    >>

    > OK thanks. I though it would be some thing like the answers I received. I
    > am drooling over a viewsonic I saw at a swapmeet. It had sufficient
    > vertical image area to be usefull. The 17 -19 inch widescreen monitors are
    > all far to narrow.
    >
    > Are there any docs or sites that address this widescreen , aspect ratio,
    > geometry issue technically. Googling 'widscreen monitor and aspect ratio
    > " didn't turn up much.

    Do you know what resolutions your monitor will handle? If not, try finding
    that information at the manufacturer's web site. Also look for vert and
    horiz frequencies. With that information, we can help you set it up.

  8. Re: widescreen monitors and aspect ratio

    Michael Fierro a écrit :
    > On 2007-03-19, faeychild rambled on thusly:
    >
    >> When a widescreen monitor is attached is the standard desktop stretched
    >> horizontally to fit , thereby turning circles into ellipses, or is extra
    >> real estate added to the desktop to pad it out. And if so how.

    > Depends on how you configure your xorg.conf (or whatever your X
    > configuration file is). You should add in a resolution that your widescreen
    > monitor supports; that configuration will be more towards 16x9 than 4x3. So
    > you'll end up with a more desktop area.
    >
    > It took me a while to get used to widescreen monitor...

    Right. Configure the resolution the screen is made for in xorg.conf and
    you will get the right aspect.
    And for video playing, I use mplayer that requires an additional
    parameter: -monitoraspect=16:10
    or add in ~/.mplayer/config monitoraspect=16:10
    Many laptops are widescreens now...
    Thierry

+ Reply to Thread