small root partition filled so no space left (how to free up some space?) - Hardware

This is a discussion on small root partition filled so no space left (how to free up some space?) - Hardware ; hello my very small (600mb) root partition on my file server was filled up to 300 mb at the beginning but very quickly sth ate up all space. (maybe some log files) How to free up some space and where ...

  1. small root partition filled so no space left (how to free up some space?)

    hello

    my very small (600mb) root partition on my file server
    was filled up to 300 mb at the beginning but very quickly
    sth ate up all space. (maybe some log files)

    How to free up some space and where to look and what to delete?

    Thank you

  2. Re: small root partition filled so no space left (how to free upsome space?)

    serge_moscou wrote:
    > hello
    >
    > my very small (600mb) root partition on my file server
    > was filled up to 300 mb at the beginning but very quickly
    > sth ate up all space. (maybe some log files)
    >
    > How to free up some space and where to look and what to delete?

    usually the following directories should be checked:
    /tmp
    /var/log (maybe, you can dump older log messages)

    Greetings Harald

  3. Re: small root partition filled so no space left (how to free up some space?)

    Harald Finster wrote:

    > usually the following directories should be checked:
    > /tmp
    > /var/log (maybe, you can dump older log messages)

    I tend to use separate partitions for /tmp and /var and /home. My root
    filesystem is only 120Mb, and it never fills up.

    Here is a df from a Debian machine:

    /dev/hda2 109565 60349 43370 59% /
    /dev/hda1 28305 6810 19985 26% /boot
    /dev/hda6 594609 109 562775 1% /tmp
    /dev/hda5 594609 172026 390858 31% /home
    /dev/hda7 74879384 41743112 29332564 59% /volumes/vol7a

    /usr and /var are symlinks to mounted partitions (currently in /volumes/vol7a)

    /dev/hda3 is a recovery filesystem (alternate root), which is not mounted, but
    it is also only 120Mb in size.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: small root partition filled so no space left (how to free up some space?)

    serge_moscou wrote:

    > How to free up some space and where to look and what to delete?

    Hello Serge,

    I would recommend you to use a "du -h | grep -v /home" in order to display
    disk usage of your directories, excluding /home (you may add more of these
    exclusions by adding f.ex. "|grep -v /usr"), this way you will get an
    overview of which directories are filling up your HD.

    A more comfortable way is the File size view plugin in Konqueror (kdeaddons3
    package).

    Hope this helps,
    Hendric
    --
    Hendric Stattmann, Mödling, Austria. Registered Linux User #178879

  5. Re: small root partition filled so no space left (how to free up some space?)

    serge_moscou wrote:

    > hello
    >
    > my very small (600mb) root partition on my file server
    > was filled up to 300 mb at the beginning but very quickly
    > sth ate up all space. (maybe some log files)
    >
    > How to free up some space and where to look and what to delete?
    >

    > Thank you

    If you don't need sendmail, remove it. I find that it randomly creates huge
    files in /var/log and it crashes my system when it runs out of hard drive
    space

  6. Re: small root partition filled so no space left (how to free up some space?)

    serge_moscou wrote:

    > hello
    >
    > my very small (600mb) root partition on my file server
    > was filled up to 300 mb at the beginning but very quickly
    > sth ate up all space. (maybe some log files)
    >
    > How to free up some space and where to look and what to delete?
    >

    > Thank you

    Funny how you didn't copy/paste the subject as well as the body to a.o.l.s.