Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux? - Hardware ; Hello, Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux ( http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html ) to take advantage of the power saving and making less heat when my computer is not working too hard? Or does Kernel 2.6.18 already have this ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    Hello,

    Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux
    (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html
    ) to take advantage of the power saving and making less heat when my
    computer is not working too hard? Or does Kernel 2.6.18 already have
    this feature?

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "The foreign policy aim of ants can be summed up as follows: restless
    aggression, territorial conquest, and genocidal annihilation of
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  2. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:09:23 -0700, Ant wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux
    > (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/

    TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html
    > ) to take advantage of the power saving and making less heat when my
    > computer is not working too hard? Or does Kernel 2.6.18 already have
    > this feature?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    It's in the kernel.

  3. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On 3/16/2007 9:22 PM PT, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >> Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux
    >> (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/

    > TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html
    >> ) to take advantage of the power saving and making less heat when my
    >> computer is not working too hard? Or does Kernel 2.6.18 already have
    >> this feature?

    > It's in the kernel.

    Thank you for the quick response.
    --
    "He who runs from the white ant may stumble upon the stinging ant."
    --Nigeria
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  4. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:09:23 -0700, Ant wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux
    > (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html
    > ) to take advantage of the power saving and making less heat when my
    > computer is not working too hard? Or does Kernel 2.6.18 already have
    > this feature?

    It's in the kernel, but it still has to be configured and turned on, and
    enabled in the bios. See kernel source docs.

    /usr/src/linux-2.6.18/Documentation/cpu-freq

    Basically, you can run it as power on demand or you can do it manually
    changing the speed at will.

  5. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On 3/16/2007 10:35 PM PT, Wes Newell wrote:

    >> Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux
    >> (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html
    >> ) to take advantage of the power saving and making less heat when my
    >> computer is not working too hard? Or does Kernel 2.6.18 already have
    >> this feature?
    >>

    > It's in the kernel, but it still has to be configured and turned on, and
    > enabled in the bios. See kernel source docs.
    >
    > /usr/src/linux-2.6.18/Documentation/cpu-freq
    >
    > Basically, you can run it as power on demand or you can do it manually
    > changing the speed at will.

    Thanks. I'd rather have the system figure it out to speed up (e.g.,
    compiling or gaming) and down (idling and surfing the Web) depending on
    my computer usage. This is how I do it in Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates).

    Assuming I read the amd-powernow.txt file correctly, it seems to
    autodetect and load the driver itself. I am using Kernel 2.6.18-4-K7
    that came from Debian's apt-get (don't compile my own Kernel). To check
    to see if it is loaded, do I just run lsmod to find "powernow" module? I
    have not enabled the cool'n'quiet feature in CMOS/BIOS yet. I just want
    to research before I mess something up.
    --
    "Everything tastes better at a picnic... the ants, the sand,
    everything." --unknown
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  6. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    Ant writes:
    >Assuming I read the amd-powernow.txt file correctly, it seems to
    >autodetect and load the driver itself. I am using Kernel 2.6.18-4-K7
    >that came from Debian's apt-get (don't compile my own Kernel). To check
    >to see if it is loaded, do I just run lsmod to find "powernow" module?

    For an Athlon 64 it should be the powernow_k8 module (not sure if you
    will have that in the K7 kernel). Also, you want the modules

    cpufreq_ondemand
    freq_table

    and then you need to enable the ondemand governor with something like
    this:

    echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    I also find the following useful:

    echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load

    >have not enabled the cool'n'quiet feature in CMOS/BIOS yet. I just want
    >to research before I mess something up.

    This stuff is pretty benign. You won't mess anything up in a bad way
    by just enabling that; if all else fails, just disable it in the BIOS,
    and the other parts will become ineffective.

    Followups set to comp.os.linux.hardware.

    - anton

  7. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On 3/17/2007 11:46 AM PT, Anton Ertl wrote:

    >> Assuming I read the amd-powernow.txt file correctly, it seems to
    >> autodetect and load the driver itself. I am using Kernel 2.6.18-4-K7
    >> that came from Debian's apt-get (don't compile my own Kernel). To check
    >> to see if it is loaded, do I just run lsmod to find "powernow" module?

    > For an Athlon 64 it should be the powernow_k8 module (not sure if you
    > will have that in the K7 kernel). Also, you want the modules
    >
    > cpufreq_ondemand
    > freq_table

    Um, dumb question. Shouldn't Linux/Debian's boot up autoload these
    modules if it detects cool'n'quiet enabled? Or do these have to be
    loaded manually via /etc/modules.conf file?

    > and then you need to enable the ondemand governor with something like
    > this:
    >
    > echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    >
    > I also find the following useful:
    >
    > echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load

    >> have not enabled the cool'n'quiet feature in CMOS/BIOS yet. I just want
    >> to research before I mess something up.

    > This stuff is pretty benign. You won't mess anything up in a bad way
    > by just enabling that; if all else fails, just disable it in the BIOS,
    > and the other parts will become ineffective.

    Heh, this sounds complex. I was expecting enable cool'n'quiet in BIOS,
    save, boot up Linux, and should be used if it is detected and using the
    newer Kernels.
    --
    "To conquer the world, we must be as meticulus and calculating as a
    colony of ants on the march." --Julius Caesar
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  8. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:59:09 -0700, Ant wrote:

    > Assuming I read the amd-powernow.txt file correctly, it seems to
    > autodetect and load the driver itself. I am using Kernel 2.6.18-4-K7
    > that came from Debian's apt-get (don't compile my own Kernel). To check
    > to see if it is loaded, do I just run lsmod to find "powernow" module? I
    > have not enabled the cool'n'quiet feature in CMOS/BIOS yet. I just want
    > to research before I mess something up.

    if you haven't enabled it in the bios then there's no point to doing
    anything. I doubt the drivers would even load not finding anything to use.
    Enable in bios. Configure the default /etc/cpufreqd.conf file to your
    liking and understanding. Start or restart cpufreqd check cat
    /proc/cpuinfo. My cpufreqd.conf file as an example.

    # you need: 1 [General] section,
    # 1 or more [Profile] sections
    # 1 or more [Rule] sections
    #
    # a section ends at the first blank line
    #
    # [Rule] sample:
    # [Rule]
    # name=sample_rule
    # ac=on # (on/off)
    # battery_interval=0-10
    # cpu_interval=30-60
    # programs=xine,mplayer
    # profile=sample_profile
    #
    # [Profile] sample:
    # [Profile]
    # name=sample_profile
    # minfreq=800000
    # maxfreq=2000000
    # policy=performance
    #
    # see CPUFREQD.CONF(5) manpage for a complete reference

    [General]
    pidfile=/var/run/cpufreqd.pid
    poll_interval=2
    # pm_type=apm #(acpi, apm or pmu)
    # Uncomment the following line to enable ACPI workaround (see cpufreqd.conf(5))
    # acpi_workaround=1
    verbosity=5 #(if you want a minimal logging set to 5)

    [Profile]
    name=hi_boost
    minfreq=2000000
    maxfreq=2000000
    policy=userspace

    [Profile]
    name=medium_boost
    minfreq=1800000
    maxfreq=1800000
    policy=userspace

    [Profile]
    name=lo_boost
    minfreq=800000
    maxfreq=800000
    policy=userspace

    [Rule]
    name=cpulow
    cpu_interval=0-7
    profile=lo_boost

    [Rule]
    name=cpumedium
    cpu_interval=7-45
    profile=medium_boost

    [Rule]
    name=cpuhigh
    cpu_interval=45-100
    profile=hi_boost

    [Rule]
    name=crackattack
    programs=crack-attack
    cpu_interval=95-100
    profile=lo_boost

    # full power when watching DVDs :
    # [Rule]
    # name=dvd_watching
    # programs=xine,mplayer,avidemux,totem,mythcommflag
    # cpu_interval=0-100
    # profile=hi_boost

  9. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:11:10 -0700, Ant wrote:

    > On 3/17/2007 11:46 AM PT, Anton Ertl wrote:
    >
    >>> Assuming I read the amd-powernow.txt file correctly, it seems to
    >>> autodetect and load the driver itself. I am using Kernel 2.6.18-4-K7
    >>> that came from Debian's apt-get (don't compile my own Kernel). To
    >>> check to see if it is loaded, do I just run lsmod to find "powernow"
    >>> module?

    >> For an Athlon 64 it should be the powernow_k8 module (not sure if you
    >> will have that in the K7 kernel). Also, you want the modules
    >>
    >> cpufreq_ondemand
    >> freq_table

    > Um, dumb question. Shouldn't Linux/Debian's boot up autoload these
    > modules if it detects cool'n'quiet enabled? Or do these have to be
    > loaded manually via /etc/modules.conf file?
    >

    >> and then you need to enable the ondemand governor with something like
    >> this:
    >>
    >> echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    >>
    >> I also find the following useful:
    >>
    >> echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load

    >>> have not enabled the cool'n'quiet feature in CMOS/BIOS yet. I just
    >>> want to research before I mess something up.

    >> This stuff is pretty benign. You won't mess anything up in a bad way
    >> by just enabling that; if all else fails, just disable it in the BIOS,
    >> and the other parts will become ineffective.

    > Heh, this sounds complex. I was expecting enable cool'n'quiet in BIOS,
    > save, boot up Linux, and should be used if it is detected and using the
    > newer Kernels.

    Fedora loads them automatically, don't know about Debian but I assume it
    would. The way to check is to do
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
    Which will tell you which governors you have and which frequencies you
    have. If you are running Gnome there is CPU Frequency Monitor widget that
    lets you change the governor and the frequency if you want. The available
    governors are,

    ondemand Changes the clock based on load
    performance Runs at the fastest speed always
    usermode Allows the user to select the frequency
    conservative Like ondemand but it's slower to change frequencies
    powersave Runs at the slowest speed.

    I switch between ondemand and usermode. I find that the lag on ondemand
    is noticable when running interactive so I prefer to use usermode to set
    the frequency to a middle frequency on my workstation (1.8GHz is what I'm
    running at, I have a 2.4GHz A64 in the workstation). On servers where
    ondemand works I use it because I don't care about a fraction of a second
    lag there. On servers where it doesn't, specifically my Core2 system
    which crashes if you use ondemand, I use the performance governor.

  10. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    Ant writes:
    >On 3/17/2007 11:46 AM PT, Anton Ertl wrote:
    >
    >>> Assuming I read the amd-powernow.txt file correctly, it seems to
    >>> autodetect and load the driver itself. I am using Kernel 2.6.18-4-K7
    >>> that came from Debian's apt-get (don't compile my own Kernel). To check
    >>> to see if it is loaded, do I just run lsmod to find "powernow" module?

    >> For an Athlon 64 it should be the powernow_k8 module (not sure if you
    >> will have that in the K7 kernel). Also, you want the modules
    >>
    >> cpufreq_ondemand
    >> freq_table

    >Um, dumb question. Shouldn't Linux/Debian's boot up autoload these
    >modules if it detects cool'n'quiet enabled?

    Maybe it does (I don't remember). I run my own kernel, and do these
    things explicitly.

    >Heh, this sounds complex. I was expecting enable cool'n'quiet in BIOS,
    >save, boot up Linux, and should be used if it is detected and using the
    >newer Kernels.

    Well, try it. If it works automatically, fine. If not, just follow
    the instructions I gave you. I have put the following lines in my
    /etc/rc.local file:

    modprobe powernow-k8
    modprobe cpufreq_ondemand
    echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load

    To check that the ondemand governor is enabled, do

    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    To see the current speed, do

    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

    - anton

  11. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    General Schvantzkoph writes:
    >I switch between ondemand and usermode. I find that the lag on ondemand
    >is noticable when running interactive so I prefer to use usermode to set
    >the frequency to a middle frequency on my workstation (1.8GHz is what I'm
    >running at, I have a 2.4GHz A64 in the workstation).

    Then I would recommend using ondemand and setting

    echo 1800000 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

    This will give you at least 1.8GHz all the time and more when more
    power is needed. Also, at least on our Athlon 64 X2 4600+, idling at
    1GHz saves very little over idling at 1.8GHz (because on this CPU the
    voltage is the same):

    http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ant...nsumption.html

    (search for "4600+").

    - anton

  12. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On 3/17/2007 2:50 PM PT, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> For an Athlon 64 it should be the powernow_k8 module (not sure if you
    >>> will have that in the K7 kernel). Also, you want the modules
    >>>
    >>> cpufreq_ondemand
    >>> freq_table

    >> Um, dumb question. Shouldn't Linux/Debian's boot up autoload these
    >> modules if it detects cool'n'quiet enabled? Or do these have to be
    >> loaded manually via /etc/modules.conf file?
    >>

    >>> and then you need to enable the ondemand governor with something like
    >>> this:
    >>>
    >>> echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    >>>
    >>> I also find the following useful:
    >>>
    >>> echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load

    >>> This stuff is pretty benign. You won't mess anything up in a bad way
    >>> by just enabling that; if all else fails, just disable it in the BIOS,
    >>> and the other parts will become ineffective.

    >> Heh, this sounds complex. I was expecting enable cool'n'quiet in BIOS,
    >> save, boot up Linux, and should be used if it is detected and using the
    >> newer Kernels.

    > Fedora loads them automatically, don't know about Debian but I assume it
    > would. The way to check is to do
    > cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    > cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

    Do I assume I need to do this after I enable cool-n-quiet from BIOS and
    boot back to Debian? I haven't done anything yet:

    $ su
    Password:
    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors:
    No such file or directory
    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
    cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies:
    No such file or directory

    > Which will tell you which governors you have and which frequencies you
    > have. If you are running Gnome there is CPU Frequency Monitor widget that
    > lets you change the governor and the frequency if you want. The available
    > governors are,
    >
    > ondemand Changes the clock based on load
    > performance Runs at the fastest speed always
    > usermode Allows the user to select the frequency
    > conservative Like ondemand but it's slower to change frequencies
    > powersave Runs at the slowest speed.
    >
    > I switch between ondemand and usermode. I find that the lag on ondemand
    > is noticable when running interactive so I prefer to use usermode to set
    > the frequency to a middle frequency on my workstation (1.8GHz is what I'm
    > running at, I have a 2.4GHz A64 in the workstation). On servers where
    > ondemand works I use it because I don't care about a fraction of a second
    > lag there. On servers where it doesn't, specifically my Core2 system
    > which crashes if you use ondemand, I use the performance governor.

    Interesting. How long are your lags for ondemand? I was hoping to use
    ondemand one. So if I go AFK and my system does nothing, it should slow
    down to save power and heat. I only use my computer as a workstation
    mostly. Sometimes, I game too.
    --
    "For while the giants have just been talking about an information
    superhighway, the ants have actually been building one: the Internet."
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  13. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:27:34 -0700, Ant wrote:

    > On 3/17/2007 2:50 PM PT, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> Um, dumb question. Shouldn't Linux/Debian's boot up autoload these
    >>> modules if it detects cool'n'quiet enabled? Or do these have to be
    >>> loaded manually via /etc/modules.conf file?

    >>> Heh, this sounds complex. I was expecting enable cool'n'quiet in BIOS,
    >>> save, boot up Linux, and should be used if it is detected and using
    >>> the newer Kernels.

    >> Fedora loads them automatically, don't know about Debian but I assume
    >> it would. The way to check is to do
    >> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    >> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

    > Do I assume I need to do this after I enable cool-n-quiet from BIOS and
    > boot back to Debian? I haven't done anything yet:
    >
    > $ su
    > Password:
    > # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    > cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors:
    > No such file or directory
    > # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
    > cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies:
    > No such file or directory
    >

    >> Which will tell you which governors you have and which frequencies you
    >> have. If you are running Gnome there is CPU Frequency Monitor widget
    >> that lets you change the governor and the frequency if you want. The
    >> available governors are,
    >>
    >> ondemand Changes the clock based on load performance Runs at

    the
    >> fastest speed always usermode Allows the user to select the

    frequency
    >> conservative Like ondemand but it's slower to change frequencies
    >> powersave Runs at the slowest speed.
    >>
    >> I switch between ondemand and usermode. I find that the lag on ondemand
    >> is noticable when running interactive so I prefer to use usermode to
    >> set the frequency to a middle frequency on my workstation (1.8GHz is
    >> what I'm running at, I have a 2.4GHz A64 in the workstation). On
    >> servers where ondemand works I use it because I don't care about a
    >> fraction of a second lag there. On servers where it doesn't,
    >> specifically my Core2 system which crashes if you use ondemand, I use
    >> the performance governor.

    > Interesting. How long are your lags for ondemand? I was hoping to use
    > ondemand one. So if I go AFK and my system does nothing, it should slow
    > down to save power and heat. I only use my computer as a workstation
    > mostly. Sometimes, I game too.

    Do
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    That will tell you what your default governor is. If it's the one you
    want then you don't have to do anything. If you want a different default
    governor put a couple of lines in your /etc/rc.local. This is what I have
    on my Core2 system

    echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

  14. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On 3/17/2007 5:32 PM PT, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> Fedora loads them automatically, don't know about Debian but I assume
    >>> it would. The way to check is to do
    >>> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    >>> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

    >> Do I assume I need to do this after I enable cool-n-quiet from BIOS and
    >> boot back to Debian? I haven't done anything yet:
    >>
    >> $ su
    >> Password:
    >> # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
    >> cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors:
    >> No such file or directory
    >> # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
    >> cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies:
    >> No such file or directory
    >>

    >>> Which will tell you which governors you have and which frequencies you
    >>> have. If you are running Gnome there is CPU Frequency Monitor widget
    >>> that lets you change the governor and the frequency if you want. The
    >>> available governors are,
    >>>
    >>> ondemand Changes the clock based on load performance Runs at

    > the
    >>> fastest speed always usermode Allows the user to select the

    > frequency
    >>> conservative Like ondemand but it's slower to change frequencies
    >>> powersave Runs at the slowest speed.
    >>>
    >>> I switch between ondemand and usermode. I find that the lag on ondemand
    >>> is noticable when running interactive so I prefer to use usermode to
    >>> set the frequency to a middle frequency on my workstation (1.8GHz is
    >>> what I'm running at, I have a 2.4GHz A64 in the workstation). On
    >>> servers where ondemand works I use it because I don't care about a
    >>> fraction of a second lag there. On servers where it doesn't,
    >>> specifically my Core2 system which crashes if you use ondemand, I use
    >>> the performance governor.

    >> Interesting. How long are your lags for ondemand? I was hoping to use
    >> ondemand one. So if I go AFK and my system does nothing, it should slow
    >> down to save power and heat. I only use my computer as a workstation
    >> mostly. Sometimes, I game too.

    > Do
    > cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor: No such file
    or directory

    ls -all /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Mar 17 17:59 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 cache
    -r-------- 1 root root 4096 Mar 17 17:59 crash_notes
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Mar 15 15:24 topology
    # ls -all /sys/devices/system/cpu/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 .
    drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Mar 17 17:59 cpu0
    --
    "Ants can attack with a grain of rice." --Madagascar
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  15. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    Ant writes:
    >On 3/17/2007 5:32 PM PT, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

    ^

    Use cpu0 if you only have one CPU core.

    >ls -all /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/
    >total 0
    >drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Mar 17 17:59 .
    >drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 ..
    >drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 cache
    >-r-------- 1 root root 4096 Mar 17 17:59 crash_notes
    >drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Mar 15 15:24 topology

    You don't have the cpufreq stuff, probably because you still have not
    activated it in the BIOS, or because you have not loaded the
    appropriate modules.

    ># ls -all /sys/devices/system/cpu/
    >total 0
    >drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 .
    >drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 ..
    >drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Mar 17 17:59 cpu0

    Looks like you have only one CPU core.

    - anton

  16. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On 03/17/2007 06:59 PM, Ant wrote:
    > Thanks. I'd rather have the system figure it out to speed up (e.g.,
    > compiling or gaming) and down (idling and surfing the Web) depending on
    > my computer usage. This is how I do it in Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates).
    >
    > Assuming I read the amd-powernow.txt file correctly, it seems to
    > autodetect and load the driver itself. I am using Kernel 2.6.18-4-K7
    > that came from Debian's apt-get (don't compile my own Kernel). To check
    > to see if it is loaded, do I just run lsmod to find "powernow" module?

    You can also type "dmesg | grep powernow".

    At least for me (running a socket-939 Opteron 185), this gives:

    | steffen@pc01:~> dmesg | grep powernow
    |
    | powernow-k8: Found 2 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.50.4)
    | powernow-k8: 0 : fid 0x12 (2600 MHz), vid 0x8 (1350 mV)
    | powernow-k8: 1 : fid 0x10 (2400 MHz), vid 0xa (1300 mV)
    | powernow-k8: 2 : fid 0xe (2200 MHz), vid 0xc (1250 mV)
    | powernow-k8: 3 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0xe (1200 mV)
    | powernow-k8: 4 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0xe (1200 mV)
    | powernow-k8: 5 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0xe (1200 mV)

    And "/proc/cpuinfo" shows the clock speed that the CPU is running
    with at the moment (quite idle):

    | steffen@pc01:~> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "cpu MHz"
    |
    | cpu MHz : 1004.647
    | cpu MHz : 1004.647

    When loaded, it goes up to:

    | steffen@pc01:~> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "cpu MHz"
    |
    | cpu MHz : 2612.082
    | cpu MHz : 2612.082

    Getting results like these will show you that CnQ is working correctly.

    HTH!

    Best regards,
    Steffen

  17. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > Ant writes:
    >
    >> # ls -all /sys/devices/system/cpu/
    >> total 0
    >> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 .
    >> drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 ..
    >> drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Mar 17 17:59 cpu0

    > Looks like you have only one CPU core.

    If the OP has a dual-core system, then the above might indicate that he
    is running a uniprocessor kernel when he should be using an SMP kernel
    instead, to take advantage of both cores. (It is equally possible that
    the OP really does have a single core system, of course.)

  18. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    On 3/18/2007 10:13 AM PT, John-Paul Stewart wrote:

    > Anton Ertl wrote:
    >> Ant writes:
    >>
    >>> # ls -all /sys/devices/system/cpu/
    >>> total 0
    >>> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 .
    >>> drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 0 Feb 23 12:49 ..
    >>> drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Mar 17 17:59 cpu0

    >> Looks like you have only one CPU core.

    > If the OP has a dual-core system, then the above might indicate that he
    > is running a uniprocessor kernel when he should be using an SMP kernel
    > instead, to take advantage of both cores. (It is equally possible that
    > the OP really does have a single core system, of course.)

    Yeah, I have 754 CPU (single core).
    --
    "I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  19. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    I had a Kernel update so I decided to try it finally! So I upgraded my
    Kernel (still 2.6.18), rebooted, enabled Cool'n'Quiet in BIOS, rebooted
    again, and went to Debian/Linux. Here is what I did:

    # modprobe powernow-k8
    # lsmod |grep powernow
    powernow_k8 13696 0
    freq_table 4832 1 powernow_k8
    processor 29128 1 powernow_k8
    # ps aux |grep cpureq
    root 4089 0.0 0.0 1644 520 pts/1 R+ 21:14 0:00 grep
    --color cpureq

    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    performance
    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    2200000
    # ps aux |grep cpureq_ondemand
    root 4137 0.0 0.0 1644 524 pts/1 R+ 21:15 0:00 grep
    --color cpureq_ondemand

    # echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    # echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load
    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    ondemand
    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    1000000

    $ dmesg |grep powernow
    powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ processors
    (version 2.00.00)
    powernow-k8: 0 : fid 0xe (2200 MHz), vid 0x2
    powernow-k8: 1 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0x6
    powernow-k8: 2 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0xa
    powernow-k8: 3 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x12

    $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 12
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
    stepping : 0
    cpu MHz : 1000.000
    cache size : 512 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm
    3dnowext 3dnow up ts fid vid ttp
    bogomips : 2004.92

    So, do I just add these lines to /etc/rc.local file?
    modprobe powernow-k8
    echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load

    Do these look correct? Thank you in advance.
    --
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  20. Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver for Linux?

    Ant writes:
    ># echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    ># echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load
    ># cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    >ondemand
    ># cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    >1000000

    Looks good.

    >So, do I just add these lines to /etc/rc.local file?
    >modprobe powernow-k8
    >echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    >echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load
    >

    >Do these look correct?

    Sure, looks fine. Though I would be a bit surprised if you need the
    "modprobe powernow-k8", but not "modprobe cpufreq_ondemand". Given
    that it apparently works without the latter, I guess that both modules
    are loaded by default, and the "modprobe powernow-k8" is not
    necessary.

    - anton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast