Anton Ertl wrote:
> Ant writes:
> ># echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> ># echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load
> ># cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> >ondemand
> ># cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
> >1000000

> Looks good.

Cool. It is amazing to see how much cooler my box is now since most
of the time, it is idled. Also, I tried a 15+ minutes compilation of
sdlmame last night. It handled well (40 degrees(F) difference!). I hope
I don't run into problems like crashes like on my Windows XP box:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...2%26hl%3Den%26
OR http://tinyurl.com/2dbkrr ...

> >So, do I just add these lines to /etc/rc.local file?
> >modprobe powernow-k8
> >echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> >echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load
> >
> >Do these look correct?

> Sure, looks fine. Though I would be a bit surprised if you need the
> "modprobe powernow-k8", but not "modprobe cpufreq_ondemand". Given
> that it apparently works without the latter, I guess that both modules
> are loaded by default, and the "modprobe powernow-k8" is not
> necessary.

Hmm, yeah I am using the whatever defaults (Kernel is default from
apt-get). I did notice /etc/modules.conf has a long list of modules, but
I didn't see powernow-k8 in it. So I don't know if I need to run
modprobe powernow-k8 manually or not. I am not at home to reboot the
computer (don't want to shutdown and it doesn't come back heh) to check.
Is there a way to check if modprobe powernow-k8 runs or not at Debian's
startup?

Currently, my /etc/rc.local file shows:
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

#modprobe powernow-k8
echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 1 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load

exit 0

--

I took out the modprobe line I added I assume I still need those two
echo lines to change the settings.
( )