how to make vfta partion writable for USER? - Hardware

This is a discussion on how to make vfta partion writable for USER? - Hardware ; Hello there is /dev/hda3 vfat partion which is mounted at boot in /mnt/dos. The problem is that i'm unable to make it writable for user (s) chmod a+w gives nothing maybe because it's vfat type...Anyway how to give to a ...

  1. how to make vfta partion writable for USER?

    Hello

    there is /dev/hda3 vfat partion which is mounted at boot
    in /mnt/dos.

    The problem is that i'm unable to make it writable for user (s)
    chmod a+w gives nothing maybe because it's vfat type...Anyway

    how to give to a user write acces to the partition?

    thank you

  2. Re: how to make vfta partion writable for USER?

    "serge_moscou" writes:

    > Hello
    >
    > there is /dev/hda3 vfat partion which is mounted at boot
    > in /mnt/dos.
    >
    > The problem is that i'm unable to make it writable for user (s)
    > chmod a+w gives nothing maybe because it's vfat type...Anyway
    >
    > how to give to a user write acces to the partition?

    man mount

    In particular, the FAT mount options; the most relevant ones are uid,
    gid, and umask.

  3. Re: how to make vfta partion writable for USER?

    serge_moscou staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > [I have] /dev/hda3 [which is a] vfat partion which is mounted at boot
    > [on] /mnt/dos. The problem is that i'm unable to make it writable for
    > [a] user, [as] chmod a+w gives nothing maybe because it's vfat

    "man mount", grep for the umask= option. Or groups.google this
    newsfroup for keyword umask= to get a bunch of results with usable fstab
    lines. FAT doesn't support permissions; they must be faked at mount
    time.

    --
    "Depress the button," it said. Gloria looked at the button. "You're
    a very ugly button," she began. --Phil Janes, _The Galaxy Game_

  4. Re: how to make vfta partion writable for USER?

    On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:55:45 +0300, serge_moscou wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > there is /dev/hda3 vfat partion which is mounted at boot in /mnt/dos.
    >
    > The problem is that i'm unable to make it writable for user (s) chmod
    > a+w gives nothing maybe because it's vfat type...Anyway
    >
    > how to give to a user write acces to the partition?
    >
    > thank you

    here's what I use:
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/d_drive vfat defaults,user,umask=000 0 0

    -Art- (not Art)

+ Reply to Thread