Hello,

I would be grateful for a hint how to get an SB Audigy LS (CA0106)
working with SuSE 10.2. I am aware of the fact, that there has been a
lot of discussion about this card, but the problem seems to be related
to 'sound' group permission. (I can't even get it working as root.)

I used alsaconf (as root) to configure the card.
everything seems to work without any error, but I can not hear the test
sound. (In contrast, I ** can ** hear the sound using the internal
card.) The message
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
never disappears, so I assume, that something blocks.

The following info might help tracking down the problem:

lspci | grep audio
05:01.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS

Simple mixer control 'Line in',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 207 [81%] [off]
Front Right: Capture 207 [81%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [off]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 207 [81%] [on]
Front Right: Capture 207 [81%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Center/LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 174 [68%]
Front Right: Playback 174 [68%]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Front',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 219 [86%]
Front Right: Playback 219 [86%]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Rear',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 195 [76%]
Front Right: Playback 195 [76%]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Unknown',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 183 [72%]
Front Right: Playback 183 [72%]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 255
Front Left: Capture 207 [81%] [off]
Front Right: Capture 207 [81%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Center/LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 195 [76%]
Front Right: Playback 195 [76%]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Front',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 163 [64%]
Front Right: Playback 163 [64%]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Rear',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 195 [76%]
Front Right: Playback 195 [76%]
Simple mixer control 'Analog Side',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 231 [91%]
Front Right: Playback 231 [91%]
Simple mixer control 'CAPTURE feedback',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 186 [73%]
Front Right: Playback 186 [73%]
Simple mixer control 'Digital Capture Source',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'IEC958 out' 'i2s mixer out' 'IEC958 in' 'i2s in' 'AC97 in'
'SRC out'
Item0: 'SRC out'
Simple mixer control 'Shared Mic/Line in',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'Line in' 'Mic in'
Item0: 'Line in'

lsmod | grep snd
snd_pcm_oss 71680 0
snd_mixer_oss 35840 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_midi 27648 0
snd_seq_midi_event 25472 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 82976 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_ca0106 55684 1
snd_rawmidi 47104 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_ca0106
snd_seq_device 26516 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec 127832 1 snd_ca0106
snd_pcm 115464 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_ca0106,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer 44680 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 89384 11
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd _ca0106,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec, snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_ac97_bus 19456 1 snd_ac97_codec
soundcore 28192 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 27792 2 snd_ca0106,snd_pcm

Alternatively: does anyone know how to use the SPDIF input of an IBM
631xESB/632xESB built in card on S5000X server board?

Thanks for any pointers/ideas

Greetings Harald