help to choose linux for file server - Hardware

This is a discussion on help to choose linux for file server - Hardware ; hello I'd like to create a small home file server basd on linux , very simple, no X etc. It should have samba, mc and probably wifi capability. Any way it sould be really simple. But what should I install ...

  1. help to choose linux for file server

    hello

    I'd like to create a small home file server basd on linux
    , very simple, no X etc. It should have samba, mc and probably

    wifi capability. Any way it sould be really simple. But what
    should I install that's a problem for modern distros are huge with gig's of
    software which I don't need.

    If somebody knows a server distribution (less than say 500 mb, which is
    already huge for my purposes)
    or could orient me towards the right thing that would be great

    Thank you very much

  2. Re: help to choose linux for file server

    serge_moscou staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I'd like to create a small home file server basd on linux, very
    > simple, no X. It should have Samba, mc and probably wifi capability.
    > But what should I install? That's a problem; modern distros are huge
    > with G of software which I don't need.
    >
    > If somebody knows [of] a distribution (less than say 500 mb, which is
    > already huge for my purposes)

    Get a distro like Debian that has a net-install CD (about 100M). Use
    that, then apt-get install the packages you need. If your hardware's
    recent, you'll want Testing, otherwise you'l want Stable. You may have
    to compile a custom kernel and/or use ndiswrapper, depending on which
    chipset your 802.11bg card has.

    --
    Back in my day, all we had were 0's. We painted them different colors
    to tell them apart. Once this started bogging the processes down, we

  3. Re: help to choose linux for file server

    serge_moscou wrote:

    > hello
    >
    > I'd like to create a small home file server basd on linux
    > , very simple, no X etc. It should have samba, mc and probably
    >
    > wifi capability. Any way it sould be really simple. But what
    > should I install that's a problem for modern distros are huge with gig's
    > of software which I don't need.
    >
    > If somebody knows a server distribution (less than say 500 mb, which is
    > already huge for my purposes)
    > or could orient me towards the right thing that would be great
    >
    > Thank you very much

    If memory size is what you are worried about then take a look at NASlite+
    from www.serverelements.com. Enough said.

    bobmct

+ Reply to Thread