ATi RS482 and xorg - Hardware

This is a discussion on ATi RS482 and xorg - Hardware ; Hey, I am looking for a mainboard with rather good and usable onboard graphics for replaying hi-def material (at least 720p, maybe 1080p) with linux. After some time browsing, someone offered a Gigabyte K8RS428M - even gigabyte does not remember ...

  1. ATi RS482 and xorg

    Hey,

    I am looking for a mainboard with rather good and usable onboard graphics
    for replaying hi-def material (at least 720p, maybe 1080p) with linux.

    After some time browsing, someone offered a Gigabyte K8RS428M - even
    gigabyte does not remember anything about producing such a board I think it
    might be an MSI, though... it has

    North Bridge: ATi RS482
    South Bridge: ATI SB450

    Does this chipset work properly with xorg and linux, at least in xv and
    maybe in xvmc mode? 3D acceleration does not matter at all...
    After having some trouble getting som 'real' ATI graphics adapter working
    under xorg, I am not sure if this is a good one for linux.

    Does anyone use a ATI chipset driven board with linux yet?

    --
    ''What ever happened to 'please' and 'thank you''? - ''...I think they
    killed each other...'' Marge and Homer J. Simpson

  2. Re: ATi RS482 and xorg

    Ulrich Gierschner staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I am looking for a mainboard with rather good and usable onboard
    > graphics

    Generally, "soldered to the board" and "good" are mutually exclusive
    when it comes to graphics cards. These things are designed for A)
    low-end consumer use or B) servers. Category A is driven by cheapness.
    Category B doesn't care much about graphics performance; servers are
    doing heavy network/disk I/O or doing heavy computation, not graphics.

    > for [playing] hi-def material (at least 720p, maybe 1080p) with linux.

    If it has enough VRAM and supports XV, it might work.

    > someone offered a Gigabyte K8RS428M--even Gigabyte does not remember
    > anything about producing such a board.

    Are you sure you copied down the model# correctly? Google has only 14
    results, all from ebay.de . This is definitely a red flag in my mind.
    The last board I saw that was that difficult to find info for via Google
    was a cheap knockoff produced by MSI only for Gateway, and it was the
    *flakiest* motherboard I've ever seen.

    > North Bridge: ATi RS482 South Bridge: ATI SB450

    ....graphics chipset: ? That's the $64K question for your app, probably.

    > Does this chipset work properly with xorg and linux, at least in xv
    > and maybe in xvmc mode? 3D acceleration does not matter at all...

    Answer previous paragraph.

    > [Has] anyone [used] [an] ATI chipset driven board with linux yet?

    Are you sure that "RS482" and "SB450" are the correct designations for
    the chipsets? There's nothing in a recent vanilla tarball about those
    designations; I checked with grep -ri. Most people who are selling
    motherboards have no clue about what's actually in them, and finding
    accurate info about the chips may require doing an lspci from a LiveCD.

    I'm currently using a Tyan S2865 board for my desktop. That comes with
    an integrated ATi Rage XL (so they say). I'm using a PCIE nVidia
    Geforce 7100 GS, because I need accelerated 3d for some of my apps^W
    games, and the onboard graphics are disabled automagically if you have a
    real video card. My Thinkpad T42p has a Radeon FireGL, and even though
    the evil fglrx modules are more of a pain than the evil nVidia modules,
    it's worked pretty well.

    --
    We're standing there pounding a dead parrot on the counter, and the
    management response is to frantically swap in new counters to see if

  3. Re: ATi RS482 and xorg

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    >> for [playing] hi-def material (at least 720p, maybe 1080p) with linux.

    > If it has enough VRAM and supports XV, it might work.

    That's the question...

    >> someone offered a Gigabyte K8RS428M--even Gigabyte does not remember
    >> anything about producing such a board.

    > Are you sure you copied down the model# correctly?

    Yes I am sure, but as I mentioned, I think it is not a Gigabyte board
    either.

    > Google has only 14 results, all from ebay.de . This is definitely a red
    > flag in my mind.
    > The last board I saw that was that difficult to find info for via Google
    > was a cheap knockoff produced by MSI only for Gateway, and it was the
    > *flakiest* motherboard I've ever seen.

    I looked it up, yes it it the one you found at ebay.de. Is it the board
    which was produced for Gateway by MSI? So I should better stay away from
    it, I think?

    >> North Bridge: ATi RS482 South Bridge: ATI SB450

    > ...graphics chipset: ? That's the $64K question for your app, probably.

    I thought the ATI RS482 has got an integrated X300 or X200 VGA controller,
    doesn't it?

    >> [Has] anyone [used] [an] ATI chipset driven board with linux yet?

    > Are you sure that "RS482" and "SB450" are the correct designations for
    > the chipsets?

    As far as I am concerned, yes, because a couple of other manufacturers are
    producing low-end, integrated VGA Boards with exactly these two chips on
    the board, without any extra gpus.

    http://ati.amd.com/buy/promotions/ra...amd754int.html

    So I think it is a crippled integrated ATI X300 or X200 graphics adapter
    inside.

    > There's nothing in a recent vanilla tarball about those
    > designations; I checked with grep -ri.

    The original 'radeon' driver might work, I think. But 'working' and 'working
    well' is a very big difference, especially with xorg.

    > Most people who are selling
    > motherboards have no clue about what's actually in them, and finding
    > accurate info about the chips may require doing an lspci from a LiveCD.

    I wonder why the guy on ebay sells the board for such a low price. Normaly
    those are sold for another 20 Euros more, so there might be a hitch.

    > My Thinkpad T42p has a Radeon FireGL, and even though
    > the evil fglrx modules are more of a pain than the evil nVidia modules,
    > it's worked pretty well.

    That's reflecting my experiences. The ATI closed source drivers are crap -
    the nvidia drivers are closed source, too, but at least they are working,
    mostly...

    --
    ''What ever happened to 'please' and 'thank you''? - ''...I think they
    killed each other...'' Marge and Homer J. Simpson

+ Reply to Thread