Ethernet doesn't work when AHCI is enabled on an Abit AB9 Pro - Hardware

This is a discussion on Ethernet doesn't work when AHCI is enabled on an Abit AB9 Pro - Hardware ; I just enabled AHCI in the BIOS of my Abit AB9 Pro board. After I rebooted the ethernet controllers weren't working. I didn't see any errors on the boot screen when the kernel enabled the ethernet controllers and ifup didn't ...

  1. Ethernet doesn't work when AHCI is enabled on an Abit AB9 Pro

    I just enabled AHCI in the BIOS of my Abit AB9 Pro board. After I
    rebooted the ethernet controllers weren't working. I didn't see any
    errors on the boot screen when the kernel enabled the ethernet
    controllers and ifup didn't complain. When I switched the SATA
    controllers back to IDE mode and rebooted the ethernet controllers were
    fine again. I'm running a 2.6.20.1 kernel on FC6. I'm also using the
    latest BIOS (I just did an update this morning, that's why I was messing
    with BIOS parameters). Has anyone else seen this problem? Can anyone
    think of a reason that AHCI could interfere with the ethernet
    controllers, I would have thought that it was completely unrelated.

  2. Re: Ethernet doesn't work when AHCI is enabled on an Abit AB9 Pro

    General Schvantzkoph writes:
    >I just enabled AHCI in the BIOS of my Abit AB9 Pro board. After I
    >rebooted the ethernet controllers weren't working. I didn't see any
    >errors on the boot screen when the kernel enabled the ethernet
    >controllers and ifup didn't complain.

    So how do you know that they were not working?

    Could it be that they just had a different number assigned (i.e., eth0
    becomes eth1, eth2 becomes eth0, etc.)? I have seen that kind of
    problem several times.

    BTW, our machines work fine with AHCI.

    - anton

  3. Re: Ethernet doesn't work when AHCI is enabled on an Abit AB9 Pro

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:44:36 +0000, Anton Ertl wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph writes:
    >>I just enabled AHCI in the BIOS of my Abit AB9 Pro board. After I
    >>rebooted the ethernet controllers weren't working. I didn't see any
    >>errors on the boot screen when the kernel enabled the ethernet
    >>controllers and ifup didn't complain.

    > So how do you know that they were not working?
    >
    > Could it be that they just had a different number assigned (i.e., eth0
    > becomes eth1, eth2 becomes eth0, etc.)? I have seen that kind of
    > problem several times.
    >
    > BTW, our machines work fine with AHCI.
    >
    > - anton

    I think your right. I had tried moving the cable from one port to the
    other, that didn't help. However when I put two cables on and rebooted
    that fixed it. There may be an initialization problem with the Realtek,
    just bringing them up and down with ifup and ifdowns didn't fix the
    problem, I had to do a reboot.

+ Reply to Thread