the most powerful computer with 5-PCI slots? - Hardware

This is a discussion on the most powerful computer with 5-PCI slots? - Hardware ; Hello group! For some special purpose I am looking for the most powerful computer that has 5 PCI slots from the consumer market. I searched long time on the market and only find these motherboard have 5 PCI slot AND ...

  1. the most powerful computer with 5-PCI slots?

    Hello group!

    For some special purpose I am looking for the most powerful computer that
    has 5 PCI slots from the consumer market. I searched long time on the
    market and only find these motherboard have 5 PCI slot AND can provide
    reasonable performance I need (all other 5-PCI motherboards are not enough
    for me):

    GA 8I865G775-G (Inter 865G chipset, LGA 755 slot);
    GA MF3 (nForce3 chipset, Socket AM2);
    ASUS A8V DELUXE/WIFI-G (VIA K8T800Pro chipset, Socket 939);

    I will buy one of them, install the best CPU that is compatible with the
    motherboard on it, install the max allowed memory amount on it, install
    the fastest SATA harddisk that is compatible. Now, which one would give me
    the best performance on such a system below?

    REQUIREMENT: running Linux, usually have 400 to 600 processes running and
    some 4 processes actively consuming CPU at any given time

    If I am asking off-topic question please provide some hint on where to ask
    this question. I am sorry for the question may sound stupid because I am
    too in-experienced in regarding to hardware performance. Thanks a lot!

  2. Re: the most powerful computer with 5-PCI slots?

    于 Fri, 09 Mar 2007 17:23:54 +0800,Zhang Weiwu写到:

    > GA 8I865G775-G (Inter 865G chipset, LGA 755 slot);
    > GA MF3 (nForce3 chipset, Socket AM2);
    > ASUS A8V DELUXE/WIFI-G (VIA K8T800Pro chipset, Socket 939);

    > If I am asking off-topic question please provide some hint on where to ask
    > this question. I am sorry for the question may sound stupid because I am
    > too in-experienced in regarding to hardware performance. Thanks a lot!

    Ah, maybe I am stupid: after googling around and reading articles from
    hardware magazines, it seems GA MF3 will perform the best because it can
    use Athlon 4200x2 CPU which is said to be generally faster than the
    fastest Pentium D.

  3. Re: the most powerful computer with 5-PCI slots?

    On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:56:12 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

    > 于 Fri, 09 Mar 2007 17:23:54 +0800,Zhang Weiwu写到:
    >

    >> GA 8I865G775-G (Inter 865G chipset, LGA 755 slot); GA MF3 (nForce3
    >> chipset, Socket AM2); ASUS A8V DELUXE/WIFI-G (VIA K8T800Pro chipset,
    >> Socket 939);

    >> If I am asking off-topic question please provide some hint on where to
    >> ask this question. I am sorry for the question may sound stupid because
    >> I am too in-experienced in regarding to hardware performance. Thanks a
    >> lot!

    > Ah, maybe I am stupid: after googling around and reading articles from
    > hardware magazines, it seems GA MF3 will perform the best because it can
    > use Athlon 4200x2 CPU which is said to be generally faster than the
    > fastest Pentium D.

    If the socket 775 can take a Core2 Duo then that would be the fastest
    system otherwise you would want to use the socket AM2 board and get an X2
    with 1M caches.

  4. Re: the most powerful computer with 5-PCI slots?

    Zhang Weiwu writes:
    >Hello group!
    >
    >For some special purpose I am looking for the most powerful computer that
    >has 5 PCI slots from the consumer market. I searched long time on the
    >market and only find these motherboard have 5 PCI slot AND can provide
    >reasonable performance I need (all other 5-PCI motherboards are not enough
    >for me):
    >
    >GA 8I865G775-G (Inter 865G chipset, LGA 755 slot);
    >GA MF3 (nForce3 chipset, Socket AM2);
    >ASUS A8V DELUXE/WIFI-G (VIA K8T800Pro chipset, Socket 939);
    >
    >I will buy one of them, install the best CPU that is compatible with the
    >motherboard on it, install the max allowed memory amount on it, install
    >the fastest SATA harddisk that is compatible. Now, which one would give me
    >the best performance on such a system below?

    If much RAM is what you want, the Socket AM2 board is the better
    choice, because it supports DDR2 DIMMs, which can have up to 2GB
    (vs. 1GB for unregistered DDR DIMMs); you can probably also get faster
    CPUs for it.

    Given the rest of what you write, I wonder why you require a
    "consumer" board and rule out server boards; e.g., the Tyan Tomcat
    i7230W (S5162) has 5 PCI slots (3 of them are PCI-X, but PCI cards
    should fit in there).

    - anton

  5. Re: the most powerful computer with 5-PCI slots?

    于 Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:07:32 +0000,Anton Ertl写到:

    > If much RAM is what you want, the Socket AM2 board is the better
    > choice, because it supports DDR2 DIMMs, which can have up to 2GB
    > (vs. 1GB for unregistered DDR DIMMs); you can probably also get faster
    > CPUs for it.

    Thanks! But getting puzzled: I think I can install 4GB on any of these
    boards I mentioned, so what's the difference? Ah, there is a new concept:
    "unregistered", what is unregistered differ from registered memory?
    (starting googling)

    > Given the rest of what you write, I wonder why you require a
    > "consumer" board and rule out server boards; e.g., the Tyan Tomcat
    > i7230W (S5162) has 5 PCI slots (3 of them are PCI-X, but PCI cards
    > should fit in there).

    that's because I was too stupid: I didn't know PCI-x slots works for PCI
    cards!

    Now I begin a new search for server boards ....

    To avoid doing stupid search again: I need 5 PCI slots and 2 of the 5 PCI
    slots are used for NEC USB adapter card. That's because I need around 15
    USB slots that can transfer data AS FAST AS POSSIBLE at the same time and I
    think I can get something close with 5 on-board USB-slots, 10 usb-slots
    provided by two NEC USB adapter cards.

    However as far as I knew USB 2.0 can transfer data faster than PCI bus,
    thus NEC USB adapter cards (plugged on PCI) might not be the fastest
    solution. If there are USB adapter cards that can work on PCI-X or PCI 64
    or PCI-E (not sure of the differences yet, but general impression is these
    are all faster than PCI) then what I need should be: a motherboard with 3
    PCI slots, two PCI-E/64/-X slots for USB adapter.

    However I still cannot find any USB adapter that sits on non-PCI slots. (I
    did find one model, but no retail to China. So better be some popular
    products otherwise I wouldn't get them in China.)

  6. Re: the most powerful computer with 5-PCI slots?

    Zhang Weiwu writes:
    >于 Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:07:32 +0000,Anton Ertl写到:
    >
    >> If much RAM is what you want, the Socket AM2 board is the better
    >> choice, because it supports DDR2 DIMMs, which can have up to 2GB
    >> (vs. 1GB for unregistered DDR DIMMs); you can probably also get faster
    >> CPUs for it.

    >Thanks! But getting puzzled: I think I can install 4GB on any of these
    >boards I mentioned, so what's the difference?

    You can probably install 8GB (4*2GB) on the AM2 board.

    >Ah, there is a new concept:
    >"unregistered", what is unregistered differ from registered memory?

    Registered DIMMs can have more RAM, but need a different board.

    >To avoid doing stupid search again: I need 5 PCI slots and 2 of the 5 PCI
    >slots are used for NEC USB adapter card. That's because I need around 15
    >USB slots that can transfer data AS FAST AS POSSIBLE at the same time and I
    >think I can get something close with 5 on-board USB-slots, 10 usb-slots
    >provided by two NEC USB adapter cards.

    I believe I have seen modern boards with 10 USB interfaces on-board,
    and I have definitely seen PCIe cards with 5 USB interfaces, e.g.,
    Belkin F5U252ea. This would mean that you need only three PCI slots,
    which significantly expands your options.

    >However as far as I knew USB 2.0 can transfer data faster than PCI bus,

    USB is 60MB/s nominal, PCI is 133MB/s nominal, PCIe is 250MB/s
    nominal. I have yet to see more than ~30MB/s transferred through USB,
    though.

    - anton