Web Cams for Linux - Suggestions ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Web Cams for Linux - Suggestions ? - Hardware ; Hi, I would be grateful for your suggestions on a web cam for linux. I am looking for something that has reasonable to good image quality and not to bulky to be portable. My preference is for a usb device ...

  1. Web Cams for Linux - Suggestions ?

    Hi,

    I would be grateful for your suggestions on a web cam for
    linux. I am looking for something that has reasonable to
    good image quality and not to bulky to be portable. My
    preference is for a usb device but am open to suggestions.
    I am reasonably good at compiling my own kernel and
    adminstration.

    I plan to use it for video conferencing with my peers so
    am looking for something that is well supported by most
    application software (open source).

    Most of the pages I find from google almost 2 years old and
    I am finding it hard to locate current info. Any pointers
    to web pages would be great too.

    regards
    b thomas

  2. Re: Web Cams for Linux - Suggestions ?

    On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:47:32 +0000, B Thomas wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would be grateful for your suggestions on a web cam for
    > linux. I am looking for something that has reasonable to
    > good image quality and not to bulky to be portable. My
    > preference is for a usb device but am open to suggestions.
    > I am reasonably good at compiling my own kernel and
    > adminstration.
    >
    > I plan to use it for video conferencing with my peers so
    > am looking for something that is well supported by most
    > application software (open source).
    >
    > Most of the pages I find from google almost 2 years old and
    > I am finding it hard to locate current info. Any pointers
    > to web pages would be great too.
    >
    > regards
    > b thomas

    Found a Creative WebCam Live! model VF0050 lying around a while back.
    Plugged it in and it worked. I recall that a couple of years ago webcams
    were pretty much a crap shoot - I don't know if that has changed or not.

  3. Re: Web Cams for Linux - Suggestions ?

    --

    > > I would be grateful for your suggestions on a web cam for
    > > linux. I am looking for something that has reasonable to
    > > good image quality and not to bulky to be portable. My
    > > preference is for a usb device but am open to suggestions.
    > > I am reasonably good at compiling my own kernel and
    > > adminstration.

    The driver available at the following site covers several webcam chips
    and
    many webcams including the el-cheapo I found for $9.00. It does not
    cover
    all resolutions..
    http://mxhaard.free.fr/

    Walt R.

  4. Re: Web Cams for Linux - Suggestions ?

    Hi,

    Thanks I just picked up one of cheaper logitech ones supported
    by the spca5xx driver.

    regards
    b thomas

    On 10 Mar 2007 19:44:49 -0800, wrote:
    > The driver available at the following site covers several webcam chips
    > and
    > many webcams including the el-cheapo I found for $9.00. It does not
    > cover
    > all resolutions..
    > http://mxhaard.free.fr/
    >
    > Walt R.

  5. Re: Web Cams for Linux - Suggestions ?

    ray wrote:

    > Found a Creative WebCam Live! model VF0050 lying around a while back.
    > Plugged it in and it worked. I recall that a couple of years ago webcams
    > were pretty much a crap shoot - I don't know if that has changed or not.

    I got a couple of rather old logitech webcams and one 'real' 800x600
    kensington USB webcam running with linux... but 'every' (!) cam has a
    special issue. Most of them, beside the kensington, are real crap, flaw
    colours, not really sharp, not really natural colors, some are too
    sensitive 'bout light (in daylight, the whole image is purely white)...
    I did not find a really stable usable cam for linux at all.
    The kensington I bought in the Netherlands makes very good images, even in
    800x600 *hardware* resolution, but, it has severly problems with newer
    kernels and I think sysfs combined (?) with udev.
    The driver gives up if you try to connect more than two or three times to
    the appropriate cam-device...

    Now I use a BT848 and an analogue video camcorder which was lying around:-)
    uses more power, but works really well...

    --
    ''What ever happened to 'please' and 'thank you''? - ''...I think they
    killed each other...'' Marge and Homer J. Simpson

+ Reply to Thread