replace old sata drive and copy data - Hardware

This is a discussion on replace old sata drive and copy data - Hardware ; Hi, I have PC running fedora with some SATA 250GB drives which were hooked up to a RAID 1 and a RAID 5. These SATA contains only data. I want to replace these old drives with 750 GB ones and ...

  1. replace old sata drive and copy data

    Hi,

    I have PC running fedora with some SATA 250GB drives which were hooked
    up to a RAID 1 and a RAID 5. These SATA
    contains only data. I want to replace these old drives with 750 GB
    ones and transfer the data from the old hard drive to the new ones.
    The amount of data is quite big. I would like to have a efficient and
    safe way to transfer the data to the new drives. I have never done
    this before. I wonder if someone can give me some advice and
    suggestion how to do it.

    >From what I gather via google, it seems that I need to clone the

    drives.

    Many thanks,
    tat

  2. Re: replace old sata drive and copy data

    tat wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have PC running fedora with some SATA 250GB drives which were hooked
    > up to a RAID 1 and a RAID 5. These SATA
    > contains only data. I want to replace these old drives with 750 GB
    > ones and transfer the data from the old hard drive to the new ones.
    > The amount of data is quite big. I would like to have a efficient and
    > safe way to transfer the data to the new drives. I have never done
    > this before. I wonder if someone can give me some advice and
    > suggestion how to do it.
    >
    >>From what I gather via google, it seems that I need to clone the

    > drives.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > tat

    If you can mount both drives in the same box,

    cp -a /oldraid /newdrive

    should work.

    If they're in separate boxes,

    rsync -a /oldraid newmachine:/newdrive

    should do the trick.

    --Yan

  3. Re: replace old sata drive and copy data

    CptDondo wrote:

    > tat wrote:
    > If you can mount both drives in the same box,
    >
    > cp -a /oldraid /newdrive
    >
    > should work.
    >
    > If they're in separate boxes,
    >
    > rsync -a /oldraid newmachine:/newdrive
    >
    > should do the trick.
    >
    > --Yan

    You should be able to use rsync if they are both on the same machine. May be
    better if you stop the transfer for whatever reason. Its nice to also add
    the -v (verbose) flag so you see it doing something. Such a larger transfer
    may take a long time and if you don't have any output, it may look like its
    not doing anything.

  4. Re: replace old sata drive and copy data

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Miguel De Anda wrote:

    > CptDondo wrote:
    >
    >> tat wrote:
    >> If you can mount both drives in the same box,
    >>
    >> cp -a /oldraid /newdrive
    >>
    >> should work.
    >>
    >> If they're in separate boxes,
    >>
    >> rsync -a /oldraid newmachine:/newdrive
    >>
    >> should do the trick.
    >>
    >> --Yan

    > You should be able to use rsync if they are both on the same machine. May be
    > better if you stop the transfer for whatever reason. Its nice to also add
    > the -v (verbose) flag so you see it doing something. Such a larger transfer
    > may take a long time and if you don't have any output, it may look like its
    > not doing anything.

    The problem with using "-v" is that you may miss error messages (amongst
    the large amount of normal output). If you want to use "-v", then redirect
    standard output to one file and optionallly, STDERR to another file.

  5. Re: replace old sata drive and copy data

    In article <45f0459b$0$16329$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    Miguel De Anda wrote:

    >Its nice to also add the -v (verbose) flag so you see it doing
    >something. Such a larger transfer may take a long time and
    >if you don't have any output, it may look like its not doing
    >anything.

    You can always use strace to make sure somethings going
    on. There's no need to slow the copy down with verbose
    output.

+ Reply to Thread