looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel - Hardware

This is a discussion on looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel - Hardware ; I am looking for a Compact Flash adaptor that plugs into an IDE header (not a USB port) and makes the CF module accessible without opening up the whole case ... but preferrably not too convenient since there are issues ...

  1. looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel

    I am looking for a Compact Flash adaptor that plugs into an IDE header
    (not a USB port) and makes the CF module accessible without opening up
    the whole case ... but preferrably not too convenient since there are
    issues with changing CF on IDE during system operation. Something that
    has a door to open would be nice. Fitting a 3.5 inch floppy bay would
    be preferred but a 5.25 inch bay would work.

    To those who might be tempted to recommend that I use an internal module,
    that is already the fallback plan.

    To those who might be tempted to recommend that I use an adaptor that uses
    USB, I already have that.

    The purpose is that these will be test machines to test system loads on
    the CF modules to see if, and how well, they run. They will boot from
    the compact flash itself, with some parts (e.g /etc) loaded into RAM from
    the flash, and some parts (e.g. /usr) mounted read-only. I want to be
    able to shut the system down, easily change CF, and bring it back up to
    run the test, without having to take the whole box apart to get to an
    adaptor on the mainboard. I'm anticipating 2 to 4 of these machines.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2007-03-06-1226@ipal.net |

  2. Re: looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel

    On 6 Mar 2007 18:37:20 GMT, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I am looking for a Compact Flash adaptor that plugs into an IDE header
    > (not a USB port) and makes the CF module accessible without opening up
    > the whole case

    http://sewelldirect.com/IDE-CF-Adapter.asp ? OK, it's not pretty, but
    it's priced right.

    > but preferrably not too convenient since there are issues with
    > changing CF on IDE during system operation. Something that has a door
    > to open would be nice.

    I think you may have to jerry-rig something if that's what you want.
    Is "don't unplug the CF card while the power light's on" something
    that's too difficult for the operators to grok?

    > The purpose is that these will be test machines to test system loads
    > on the CF modules to see if, and how well, they run. I want to be
    > able to shut the system down, easily change CF, and bring it back up
    > to run the test, without having to take the whole box apart

    One of the cards mentioned above should fit reasonably well in a 3.5"
    bay with the CF pins oriented properly. It might take some duct tape to
    keep it in place for easy CF insertion/removal.

    --
    Something unpleasant is coming when men are anxious to tell the
    truth. --Benjamin Disraeli

  3. Re: looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel

    phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    : I am looking for a Compact Flash adaptor that plugs into an IDE header
    : (not a USB port) and makes the CF module accessible without opening up
    : the whole case ... but preferrably not too convenient since there are
    : issues with changing CF on IDE during system operation. Something that
    : has a door to open would be nice. Fitting a 3.5 inch floppy bay would
    : be preferred but a 5.25 inch bay would work.

    How about:

    http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...er/adidecf.asp

    Never used them myself, but it looks like it meets your requirements.

    --
    Barry Keeney
    Chaos Consulting

    "Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."

  4. Re: looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel

    Barry Keeney wrote:

    > phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    > : I am looking for a Compact Flash adaptor that plugs into an IDE header
    > : (not a USB port) and makes the CF module accessible without opening up
    > : the whole case ... but preferrably not too convenient since there are
    > : issues with changing CF on IDE during system operation. Something that
    > : has a door to open would be nice. Fitting a 3.5 inch floppy bay would
    > : be preferred but a 5.25 inch bay would work.
    >
    > How about:
    >
    > http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...er/adidecf.asp
    >
    > Never used them myself, but it looks like it meets your requirements.

    Yeah - that thing - they work - I tried one 2-3 years back. They are not hot
    plug (of course) but in every other respect they do the job.

    HTH

    Tim

  5. Re: looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:58:11 -0600 Dances With Crows wrote:

    | On 6 Mar 2007 18:37:20 GMT, phil-news-nospam@ipal.net staggered into the
    | Black Sun and said:
    |> I am looking for a Compact Flash adaptor that plugs into an IDE header
    |> (not a USB port) and makes the CF module accessible without opening up
    |> the whole case
    |
    | http://sewelldirect.com/IDE-CF-Adapter.asp ? OK, it's not pretty, but
    | it's priced right.

    Looks like an internal one.

    |> but preferrably not too convenient since there are issues with
    |> changing CF on IDE during system operation. Something that has a door
    |> to open would be nice.
    |
    | I think you may have to jerry-rig something if that's what you want.
    | Is "don't unplug the CF card while the power light's on" something
    | that's too difficult for the operators to grok?

    I'm the operator. But I don't one the CF card sticking out where it can
    get knocked loose.

    I guess by jerry-rig you mean manufacture my own front panel?

    |> The purpose is that these will be test machines to test system loads
    |> on the CF modules to see if, and how well, they run. I want to be
    |> able to shut the system down, easily change CF, and bring it back up
    |> to run the test, without having to take the whole box apart
    |
    | One of the cards mentioned above should fit reasonably well in a 3.5"
    | bay with the CF pins oriented properly. It might take some duct tape to
    | keep it in place for easy CF insertion/removal.

    I've seen some prebuilt ones in vendor built PCs, though I believe those
    are all USB connected since there are also USB ports next to them. But
    at least this shows someone makes the plastic pieces.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2007-03-07-2107@ipal.net |

  6. Re: looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel

    On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:07:29 +0000 (UTC) Barry Keeney wrote:
    | phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    | : I am looking for a Compact Flash adaptor that plugs into an IDE header
    | : (not a USB port) and makes the CF module accessible without opening up
    | : the whole case ... but preferrably not too convenient since there are
    | : issues with changing CF on IDE during system operation. Something that
    | : has a door to open would be nice. Fitting a 3.5 inch floppy bay would
    | : be preferred but a 5.25 inch bay would work.
    |
    | How about:
    |
    | http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...er/adidecf.asp
    |
    | Never used them myself, but it looks like it meets your requirements.

    Oooh, it even has an eject button. It's about as close to my need as
    one can get without the door. Thanks.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2007-03-07-2112@ipal.net |

  7. Re: looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:50:37 +0000 Tim S wrote:
    | Barry Keeney wrote:
    |
    |> phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    |> : I am looking for a Compact Flash adaptor that plugs into an IDE header
    |> : (not a USB port) and makes the CF module accessible without opening up
    |> : the whole case ... but preferrably not too convenient since there are
    |> : issues with changing CF on IDE during system operation. Something that
    |> : has a door to open would be nice. Fitting a 3.5 inch floppy bay would
    |> : be preferred but a 5.25 inch bay would work.
    |>
    |> How about:
    |>
    |> http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...er/adidecf.asp
    |>
    |> Never used them myself, but it looks like it meets your requirements.
    |>

    | Yeah - that thing - they work - I tried one 2-3 years back. They are not hot
    | plug (of course) but in every other respect they do the job.

    Are the USB ones hot plug? Is the hot plug issue strictly based on the
    IDE not normally being hot pluggable or is there also a power issue?

    FYI, I have done IDE hot plugging successfully with Linux. There is a
    probe scan program one has to run. And of course, be careful not to
    pull out a drive which is mounted ... it won't take it back on IDE.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2007-03-07-2113@ipal.net |

  8. Re: looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel

    On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:07:29 +0000 (UTC) Barry Keeney wrote:
    | phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    | : I am looking for a Compact Flash adaptor that plugs into an IDE header
    | : (not a USB port) and makes the CF module accessible without opening up
    | : the whole case ... but preferrably not too convenient since there are
    | : issues with changing CF on IDE during system operation. Something that
    | : has a door to open would be nice. Fitting a 3.5 inch floppy bay would
    | : be preferred but a 5.25 inch bay would work.
    |
    | How about:
    |
    | http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...er/adidecf.asp
    |
    | Never used them myself, but it looks like it meets your requirements.

    Actually, these look interesting, too:

    http://www.addonics.com/products/fla..._digidrive.asp
    http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...er/aeiuddu.asp

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2007-03-07-2149@ipal.net |

  9. Re: looking for IDE to CF adaptor for front panel

    phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:50:37 +0000 Tim S wrote:
    > | Barry Keeney wrote:
    > |
    > |> phil-news-nospam@ipal.net wrote:
    > |> : I am looking for a Compact Flash adaptor that plugs into an IDE
    > |> : header (not a USB port) and makes the CF module accessible without
    > |> : opening up the whole case ... but preferrably not too convenient
    > |> : since there are
    > |> : issues with changing CF on IDE during system operation. Something
    > |> : that
    > |> : has a door to open would be nice. Fitting a 3.5 inch floppy bay
    > |> : would be preferred but a 5.25 inch bay would work.
    > |>
    > |> How about:
    > |>
    > |> http://www.addonics.com/products/fla...er/adidecf.asp
    > |>
    > |> Never used them myself, but it looks like it meets your requirements.
    > |>

    > | Yeah - that thing - they work - I tried one 2-3 years back. They are not
    > | hot plug (of course) but in every other respect they do the job.
    >
    > Are the USB ones hot plug? Is the hot plug issue strictly based on the
    > IDE not normally being hot pluggable or is there also a power issue?
    >
    > FYI, I have done IDE hot plugging successfully with Linux. There is a
    > probe scan program one has to run. And of course, be careful not to
    > pull out a drive which is mounted ... it won't take it back on IDE.

    They are hot plug after a fashion. Electrically they hotplug OK. But they do
    not send a signal to the host. However, if inserting a new CF card,
    attempting to read one block off the device causes linux 2.6 to rescan the
    partition table, so the udev layer makes all the correct device nodes.

    HTH

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread