IP address grabing problem - Hardware

This is a discussion on IP address grabing problem - Hardware ; Hello All, One of our client has over 100 systems on simple plain Network without any Network Segregation or Managable Switches. The systems has Linux, Microsoft and Solaris operating systems. The biggest problem we are facing is everyday one of ...

  1. IP address grabing problem

    Hello All,

    One of our client has over 100 systems on simple plain Network without
    any Network Segregation or Managable Switches. The systems has Linux,
    Microsoft and Solaris operating systems.

    The biggest problem we are facing is everyday one of the Systems will
    Grab the IP Address of their Mail server or Cyberroam (VPN and Spam
    filter Box). Because of this complete Network will colapse. We will
    disconnect the Mail server or Cyberroam (Depends on which has
    conflict) and will trace the system mannually and fix the problem. It
    happens irrespective of DHCP or Static IP. Do we have any fix for he
    same?

    Thanks
    Dhruva Kumar

  2. Re: IP address grabing problem

    dhruvamm@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > One of our client has over 100 systems on simple plain Network without
    > any Network Segregation or Managable Switches. The systems has Linux,
    > Microsoft and Solaris operating systems.
    >
    > The biggest problem we are facing is everyday one of the Systems will
    > Grab the IP Address of their Mail server or Cyberroam (VPN and Spam
    > filter Box). Because of this complete Network will colapse. We will
    > disconnect the Mail server or Cyberroam (Depends on which has
    > conflict) and will trace the system mannually and fix the problem. It
    > happens irrespective of DHCP or Static IP. Do we have any fix for he
    > same?

    Yes. You need a network administrator.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  3. Re: IP address grabing problem

    On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 13:16:31 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, dhruvamm@gmail.com
    wrote:

    > The biggest problem we are facing is everyday one of the Systems will
    > Grab the IP Address of their Mail server or Cyberroam

    Systems do not just 'grab' IP addresses. They're either told to use them by
    stupid users (solution: shoot stupid user) or by DHCP servers. Either your DHCP
    server is misconfigured to hand out the wrong range of IP addresses or you have
    more than one of them and you do not have control of the rogue one that hands
    out the wrong IP range.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com