USB thumbdrives and Linux - Hardware

This is a discussion on USB thumbdrives and Linux - Hardware ; I have three questions regarding USB thumbdrives and Linux: 1) Does Ubuntu support USB thumbdrives automatically (i.e., you plug it into the USB port, and the files on the drive become available in a directory somewhere) without having to "mount" ...

  1. USB thumbdrives and Linux

    I have three questions regarding USB thumbdrives and Linux:

    1) Does Ubuntu support USB thumbdrives automatically (i.e., you plug it
    into the USB port, and the files on the drive become available in a
    directory somewhere) without having to "mount" and "unmount" them?

    2) My machine running SuSE *used* to support USB thumbdrives automatically;
    there was a directory called /media under which there was a subdirectory
    called usb-blah-blah, and the files on the thumbdrive could be found
    there, or you would get an error message if there was no thumbdrive.
    But for some reason SuSE has stopped doing this. Any idea what might
    have changed, and how to fix it?

    3) This may be part of the answer to the second question: Is there a
    procedure for disconnecting a thumbdrive from a Linux machine? In
    Windows I click on the little green arrow; on a Mac I find what looks
    like a picture of a thumbdrive on the desktop, cntrl-click, and choose
    "Eject". What am I supposed to do under Linux?

    --
    Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
    pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

  2. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:06:36 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > I have three questions regarding USB thumbdrives and Linux:
    >
    > 1) Does Ubuntu support USB thumbdrives automatically (i.e., you plug it
    > into the USB port, and the files on the drive become available in a
    > directory somewhere) without having to "mount" and "unmount" them?

    yes.

    > 2) My machine running SuSE *used* to support USB thumbdrives automatically;
    > there was a directory called /media under which there was a subdirectory
    > called usb-blah-blah, and the files on the thumbdrive could be found
    > there, or you would get an error message if there was no thumbdrive.
    > But for some reason SuSE has stopped doing this. Any idea what might
    > have changed, and how to fix it?

    no.

    > 3) This may be part of the answer to the second question: Is there a
    > procedure for disconnecting a thumbdrive from a Linux machine? In
    > Windows I click on the little green arrow; on a Mac I find what looks
    > like a picture of a thumbdrive on the desktop, cntrl-click, and choose
    > "Eject". What am I supposed to do under Linux?

    right-click the desktop icon and slect eject - the icon goes away; it is
    safe to remove.

  3. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    In article ,
    ray wrote:

    >> 3) This may be part of the answer to the second question: Is there a
    >> procedure for disconnecting a thumbdrive from a Linux machine? In
    >> Windows I click on the little green arrow; on a Mac I find what looks
    >> like a picture of a thumbdrive on the desktop, cntrl-click, and choose
    >> "Eject". What am I supposed to do under Linux?

    >right-click the desktop icon and slect eject - the icon goes away; it is
    >safe to remove.

    Desktop icon? Does some sort of icon appear on your desktop when you
    plug in a thumbdrive?

    --
    Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
    pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."
    Autoreply is disabled | -- G. W. Bush, 9/7/2006

  4. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:37:56 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > In article , ray
    > wrote:
    >>>
    >>> 3) This may be part of the answer to the second question: Is there a
    >>> procedure for disconnecting a thumbdrive from a Linux machine? In
    >>> Windows I click on the little green arrow; on a Mac I find what
    >>> looks like a picture of a thumbdrive on the desktop, cntrl-click,
    >>> and choose "Eject". What am I supposed to do under Linux?

    >>right-click the desktop icon and slect eject - the icon goes away; it is
    >>safe to remove.

    > Desktop icon? Does some sort of icon appear on your desktop when you
    > plug in a thumbdrive?

    On Fedora there is Gnome Preferences Menu item called Removeable Drives
    and Media, I would expect that both SUSE and Ubuntu would have the same
    preference item. If you bring it up you you will see that there are check
    boxes for automounting removeable drives and media. On FC all FLASH
    devices appear as disks on the desktop. Check to see if you find this
    preference item on your SUSE installation, if it does make sure that the
    automounting is enabled.

  5. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:37:56 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > In article ,
    > ray wrote:
    >>>
    >>> 3) This may be part of the answer to the second question: Is there a
    >>> procedure for disconnecting a thumbdrive from a Linux machine? In
    >>> Windows I click on the little green arrow; on a Mac I find what looks
    >>> like a picture of a thumbdrive on the desktop, cntrl-click, and choose
    >>> "Eject". What am I supposed to do under Linux?

    >>right-click the desktop icon and slect eject - the icon goes away; it is
    >>safe to remove.

    > Desktop icon? Does some sort of icon appear on your desktop when you
    > plug in a thumbdrive?

    yes.

  6. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    In article ,
    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:37:56 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    >>>right-click the desktop icon and slect eject - the icon goes away; it is
    >>>safe to remove.

    >> Desktop icon? Does some sort of icon appear on your desktop when you
    >> plug in a thumbdrive?
    >>

    >On Fedora there is Gnome Preferences Menu item called Removeable Drives
    >and Media, I would expect that both SUSE and Ubuntu would have the same
    >preference item. If you bring it up you you will see that there are check
    >boxes for automounting removeable drives and media. On FC all FLASH
    >devices appear as disks on the desktop. Check to see if you find this
    >preference item on your SUSE installation, if it does make sure that the
    >automounting is enabled.

    Is this something I would find through YaST? If not, how do I go about
    finding it?

    --
    Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
    pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."
    Autoreply is disabled | -- G. W. Bush, 9/7/2006

  7. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > In article ,
    > ray wrote:
    >>> 3) This may be part of the answer to the second question: Is there a
    >>> procedure for disconnecting a thumbdrive from a Linux machine? In
    >>> Windows I click on the little green arrow; on a Mac I find what looks
    >>> like a picture of a thumbdrive on the desktop, cntrl-click, and choose
    >>> "Eject". What am I supposed to do under Linux?

    >> right-click the desktop icon and slect eject - the icon goes away; it is
    >> safe to remove.

    > Desktop icon? Does some sort of icon appear on your desktop when you
    > plug in a thumbdrive?

    For KDE, Configure Desktop -> Desktop -> Behavior -> Device Icons
    Enable Show device icons and select the types you want.

  8. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 03:09:22 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > In article , General Schvantzkoph
    > wrote:
    >>On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:37:56 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    >>> Desktop icon? Does some sort of icon appear on your desktop when you
    >>> plug in a thumbdrive?
    >>>

    >>On Fedora there is Gnome Preferences Menu item called Removeable Drives
    >>and Media, I would expect that both SUSE and Ubuntu would have the same
    >>preference item. If you bring it up you you will see that there are
    >>check boxes for automounting removeable drives and media. On FC all
    >>FLASH devices appear as disks on the desktop. Check to see if you find
    >>this preference item on your SUSE installation, if it does make sure
    >>that the automounting is enabled.

    > Is this something I would find through YaST? If not, how do I go about
    > finding it?

    This is the kind of thing that's usually installed by default. Look for a
    menu item or a control panel.

  9. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    In article <12upqklsi258kee@corp.supernews.com>,
    Chris Cox wrote:
    >Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>
    >> Desktop icon? Does some sort of icon appear on your desktop when you
    >> plug in a thumbdrive?

    >For KDE, Configure Desktop -> Desktop -> Behavior -> Device Icons
    >Enable Show device icons and select the types you want.

    Hmm, There is not option like "Flash Drive" or "USB Drive".

    --
    Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
    pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."
    Autoreply is disabled | -- G. W. Bush, 9/7/2006

  10. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > In article <12upqklsi258kee@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >> Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>> Desktop icon? Does some sort of icon appear on your desktop when you
    >>> plug in a thumbdrive?

    >> For KDE, Configure Desktop -> Desktop -> Behavior -> Device Icons
    >> Enable Show device icons and select the types you want.

    > Hmm, There is not option like "Flash Drive" or "USB Drive".

    I don't use this particular feature myself so I'm just guessing, but I'd
    suggest trying the setting(s) for cameras. Most digital cameras present
    themselves as USB mass storage devices, just like other USB drives.

  11. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > In article <12upqklsi258kee@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >> Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>> Desktop icon? Does some sort of icon appear on your desktop when you
    >>> plug in a thumbdrive?

    >> For KDE, Configure Desktop -> Desktop -> Behavior -> Device Icons
    >> Enable Show device icons and select the types you want.

    > Hmm, There is not option like "Flash Drive" or "USB Drive".

    ??? Are you wanting to make a distinction between USB
    connected drive storage devices?

    I know when I connect my USB drives, I see a USB drive icon
    on my desktop. I guess I'm not quite understanding what
    you are or are not seeing on the desktop??

    I have lots of device types in my on the panel
    for Device Icons.... now... whether there is a unique
    icon for every type is another question. For example,
    my PMP shows up as a thumbdrive icon on my desktop instead
    of as my PMP. There are ways to create a specialized icon
    if you have to have it... but it's a bit involved.

  12. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    In article <12ur4ea6d917q9d@corp.supernews.com>,
    Chris Cox wrote:
    >Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >> In article <12upqklsi258kee@corp.supernews.com>,
    >> Chris Cox wrote:
    >>> For KDE, Configure Desktop -> Desktop -> Behavior -> Device Icons
    >>> Enable Show device icons and select the types you want.

    >> Hmm, There is not option like "Flash Drive" or "USB Drive".
    >>

    >??? Are you wanting to make a distinction between USB
    >connected drive storage devices?
    >
    >I know when I connect my USB drives, I see a USB drive icon
    >on my desktop. I guess I'm not quite understanding what
    >you are or are not seeing on the desktop??
    >
    >I have lots of device types in my on the panel
    >for Device Icons.... now... whether there is a unique
    >icon for every type is another question. For example,
    >my PMP shows up as a thumbdrive icon on my desktop instead
    >of as my PMP. There are ways to create a specialized icon
    >if you have to have it... but it's a bit involved.

    When I plug in my SanDisk thumbdrive, a new directory comes into existance:
    /media/usb-2004431841141e51d5b0:0:0:0p1

    I can go into the directory with the file browser, but there is no desktop
    icon (as some people here have described) nor anything else to acknowledge
    that this is anything other than another directory. Right clicking on it
    reveals no options such as "eject". It's just a normal directory. When I
    pull the drive out, the folder goes away.

    When I plug in my Kingston thumbdrive--which works just fine under Windows,
    BTW--nothing happens. No new folder. No acknowledgement (so far as I can
    tell) that the drive exists. The green LED on the drive blinks, but that's
    it.

    Now, in the Configure Desktop->Behavior->Device Icons menu, there are
    options that can be checked that will make an icon appear on the desktop
    when various types of devices are connected. Some of the ones listed are
    "connected Cellular Phone", "Mounted Zip Disk", "Connected PDA", and
    "Printer". I have all of them checked. None of them seem to apply to
    USB flashdrives, though.

    --
    Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
    pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."
    Autoreply is disabled | -- G. W. Bush, 9/7/2006

  13. Re: USB thumbdrives and Linux

    Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > Now, in the Configure Desktop->Behavior->Device Icons menu, there are
    > options that can be checked that will make an icon appear on the desktop
    > when various types of devices are connected. Some of the ones listed are
    > "connected Cellular Phone", "Mounted Zip Disk", "Connected PDA", and
    > "Printer". I have all of them checked. None of them seem to apply to
    > USB flashdrives, though.

    Not sure what to say. I've always see the icon show up.
    My Corsair thumbdrive, my Olympus 5050 camera, my Cowon A2, my Sansa
    e260, I get icons for them... not sure where to begin to
    look at the problem.

+ Reply to Thread