Which wireless cards "just work" under Ubuntu? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Which wireless cards "just work" under Ubuntu? - Hardware ; I am thinking of going to Ubuntu. When I asked someone how hard it was to make a wireless networking card work under Ubuntu, he said "Just buy one of the cards that is known to work. It's simpler that ...

  1. Which wireless cards "just work" under Ubuntu?

    I am thinking of going to Ubuntu. When I asked someone how hard it was
    to make a wireless networking card work under Ubuntu, he said "Just buy
    one of the cards that is known to work. It's simpler that way."

    So, which wireless cards "just plain work" under Ubuntu? As in, I pop
    the installation disc in the drive, maybe set a few radio buttons during
    the installation, and Ubuntu magically acknowledges the existance of the
    wireless card and knows how to use it.

    I should have said: this is a desktop machine, not a laptop.

    --
    Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
    pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

  2. Re: Which wireless cards "just work" under Ubuntu?

    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:58:12 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > I am thinking of going to Ubuntu. When I asked someone how hard it was
    > to make a wireless networking card work under Ubuntu, he said "Just buy
    > one of the cards that is known to work. It's simpler that way."

    I use a Dlink WNA2330 H/W Ver:A1 F/W Ver:1.0 - it worked 'out of the box'
    with Ubuntu 6.06.

    > So, which wireless cards "just plain work" under Ubuntu? As in, I pop
    > the installation disc in the drive, maybe set a few radio buttons during
    > the installation, and Ubuntu magically acknowledges the existance of the
    > wireless card and knows how to use it.

    Much easier than that. I plugged it in and it worked.

    > I should have said: this is a desktop machine, not a laptop.

  3. Re: Which wireless cards "just work" under Ubuntu?

    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:58:12 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > I am thinking of going to Ubuntu. When I asked someone how hard it was
    > to make a wireless networking card work under Ubuntu, he said "Just buy
    > one of the cards that is known to work. It's simpler that way."
    >
    > So, which wireless cards "just plain work" under Ubuntu? As in, I pop
    > the installation disc in the drive, maybe set a few radio buttons during
    > the installation, and Ubuntu magically acknowledges the existance of the
    > wireless card and knows how to use it.
    >
    > I should have said: this is a desktop machine, not a laptop.

    Look for wireless cards that use RealTek, Atheros and Orinoco chipsets.
    You should be able to just plug it in, boot, and the system will
    load the proper driver. You will still have to configure the network
    yourself, but Ubuntu has a wizard to help you, I think.

    FWIW: You won't need to use the card's CD, because it's only for
    installing Windows' drivers and utilities.

    Stef

  4. Re: Which wireless cards "just work" under Ubuntu?

    In article ,
    Stefan Patric wrote:
    >On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:58:12 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >
    >> I am thinking of going to Ubuntu. When I asked someone how hard it was
    >> to make a wireless networking card work under Ubuntu, he said "Just buy
    >> one of the cards that is known to work. It's simpler that way."
    >>
    >> So, which wireless cards "just plain work" under Ubuntu? As in, I pop
    >> the installation disc in the drive, maybe set a few radio buttons during
    >> the installation, and Ubuntu magically acknowledges the existance of the
    >> wireless card and knows how to use it.
    >>
    >> I should have said: this is a desktop machine, not a laptop.

    >Look for wireless cards that use RealTek, Atheros and Orinoco chipsets.
    >You should be able to just plug it in, boot, and the system will
    >load the proper driver. You will still have to configure the network
    >yourself, but Ubuntu has a wizard to help you, I think.
    >
    >FWIW: You won't need to use the card's CD, because it's only for
    >installing Windows' drivers and utilities.

    I should have been clearer on that: I was refering to the Ubuntu CD,
    installing Ubuntu on a system that already has the card.

    --
    Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
    pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."
    Autoreply is disabled | -- G. W. Bush, 9/7/2006

  5. Re: Which wireless cards "just work" under Ubuntu?

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 03:06:17 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Stefan Patric wrote:
    >>On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:58:12 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am thinking of going to Ubuntu. When I asked someone how hard it was
    >>> to make a wireless networking card work under Ubuntu, he said "Just buy
    >>> one of the cards that is known to work. It's simpler that way."
    >>>
    >>> So, which wireless cards "just plain work" under Ubuntu? As in, I pop
    >>> the installation disc in the drive, maybe set a few radio buttons during
    >>> the installation, and Ubuntu magically acknowledges the existance of the
    >>> wireless card and knows how to use it.
    >>>
    >>> I should have said: this is a desktop machine, not a laptop.

    >>Look for wireless cards that use RealTek, Atheros and Orinoco chipsets.
    >>You should be able to just plug it in, boot, and the system will
    >>load the proper driver. You will still have to configure the network
    >>yourself, but Ubuntu has a wizard to help you, I think.
    >>
    >>FWIW: You won't need to use the card's CD, because it's only for
    >>installing Windows' drivers and utilities.

    > I should have been clearer on that: I was refering to the Ubuntu CD,
    > installing Ubuntu on a system that already has the card.

    Well, if the wireless card has the aforementioned chipsets, Ubuntu should
    load the proper driver for it, and ask you during the install to enter the
    settings to configure your wireless network, i.e the ESSID, encryption
    key, if you're using one, etc. (I'd turn off encryption on your wireless
    router until after the OS install. It will make things easier. Add the
    key to the system config after the install is complete.)

    Stef

  6. Re: Which wireless cards "just work" under Ubuntu?

    Hi Paul,

    just visit www.ubuntu.com and search the wiki for "wireless network
    cards". You'll get lots of tables with wlan cards tested by community
    members. I picked a Netgear Card with Atheros chipset which worked out of
    the box -- as advertised in the tables, which have a "works out of the
    box yes/no" column!

    HTH,
    Rehceb

  7. Re: Which wireless cards "just work" under Ubuntu?

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be glad
    of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;

+ Reply to Thread