Western Digital External Harddisk on Linux Redhat 9 - Hardware

This is a discussion on Western Digital External Harddisk on Linux Redhat 9 - Hardware ; Hello. We are trying to use an external Western Digital MyBook Pro II 1TB USB hard drive with a Dell Poweredge 2600 server running Red Hat Linux 9 with a 2.4.20 kernel for backup purposes. poweredge:~# uname -a Linux poweredge.matek.sintef.no ...

  1. Western Digital External Harddisk on Linux Redhat 9

    Hello. We are trying to use an external Western Digital MyBook Pro II
    1TB USB hard drive with a Dell Poweredge 2600 server running Red Hat
    Linux 9 with a 2.4.20 kernel for backup purposes.

    poweredge:~# uname -a
    Linux poweredge.matek.sintef.no 2.4.20-8smp #1 SMP Thu Mar 13 17:45:54
    EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    poweredge:~# modprobe usb-storage

    The device appears in /proc/scsi/scsi

    poweredge:~# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    Vendor: QUANTUM Model: SDLT320 Rev: 4949
    Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD0 RAID1 34678R Rev: 2.37
    Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
    Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD1 RAID5 19694R Rev: 2.37
    Host: scsi2 Channel: 04 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    Vendor: PE/PV Model: 1x2 SCSI BP Rev: 1.1
    Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi2 Channel: 05 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    Vendor: PE/PV Model: 1x6 SCSI BP Rev: 1.1
    Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: SAMSUNG Model: CDRW/DVD SN-324F Rev: U204
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: WD Model: My Book Device Rev: 103a
    Type: Enclosure

    poweredge:~# dmesg
    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1001
    usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
    Vendor: WD Model: My Book Device Rev: 103a
    Type: Enclosure ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi generic sg6 at scsi4, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 13
    WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    USB Mass Storage device found at 3
    USB Mass Storage support registered.

    It looks like the kernel assigns it /dev/sg6, but I am not able to mount
    or run fdisk on this device. I have also tried to run fdisk
    /dev/sd{c,d,e,f,...}, but all devices are reported as invalid. (/dev/sda
    and /dev/sdb are internal hard drives).

    Can anyone help me a step further? Do I need to load additional modules?
    Do I need to upgrade the kernel?

    I found out that the Dell Poweredge server only has support for USB1.1.
    We have ordered a USB2.0 PCI card. However, I guess it is supposed to
    work on an USB1.1 port as well?

    All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

    --

    Řystein Skotheim
    Scientist, Optical Measurement Systems and Data Analysis

  2. Re: Western Digital External Harddisk on Linux Redhat 9

    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:20:31 +0100, Řystein Skotheim wrote:

    > Hello. We are trying to use an external Western Digital MyBook Pro II
    > 1TB USB hard drive with a Dell Poweredge 2600 server running Red Hat
    > Linux 9 with a 2.4.20 kernel for backup purposes.

    fdisk -l returns?

  3. Re: Western Digital External Harddisk on Linux Redhat 9

    Řystein Skotheim wrote:
    > Hello. We are trying to use an external Western Digital MyBook Pro II
    > 1TB USB hard drive with a Dell Poweredge 2600 server running Red Hat
    > Linux 9 with a 2.4.20 kernel for backup purposes.

    [snip]
    > scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    > Vendor: WD Model: My Book Device Rev: 103a
    > Type: Enclosure ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    > Attached scsi generic sg6 at scsi4, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 13
    > WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    > USB Mass Storage device found at 3
    > USB Mass Storage support registered.
    >
    > It looks like the kernel assigns it /dev/sg6, but I am not able to mount
    > or run fdisk on this device. I have also tried to run fdisk
    > /dev/sd{c,d,e,f,...}, but all devices are reported as invalid. (/dev/sda
    > and /dev/sdb are internal hard drives).

    The main problem is the fact that the kernel /proc/scsi/scsi shows it
    being of type "Enclosure" rather than "Direct Access". That, in turn,
    is causing the kernel to assign a SCSI generic device (/dev/sg6) but not
    a SCSI disk device (should be /dev/sdc or higher).

    > Can anyone help me a step further? Do I need to load additional modules?
    > Do I need to upgrade the kernel?

    It's quite possible that the 2.4.20 kernel you're using is just too old
    to recognize this particular device. However, it is also possible that
    there are no suitable drivers for Linux at all. Is the 1TB external
    drive a single drive, or is this a multi-drive enclosure? I suspect
    it's 2x500 GB in a RAID-0 configuration. That would explain the
    "Enclosure" type, but might mean it is totally unsupported.

    A single-drive, non-RAID solution would almost certainly work since
    almost all comply with the USB mass storage spec.

    > I found out that the Dell Poweredge server only has support for USB1.1.
    > We have ordered a USB2.0 PCI card. However, I guess it is supposed to
    > work on an USB1.1 port as well?

    The problem you're seeing has nothing to do with USB1.1 vs USB2.0,
    although you'll certainly want the USB2.0 interface for moving around
    1TB of data.

+ Reply to Thread