Setting Up Network Printer - Hardware

This is a discussion on Setting Up Network Printer - Hardware ; Hello there. I'm running Debian 4.0 (Etch) with GNOME and have a Canon MP530, which is connected to a Windows XP computer. The problem is that when I use the GNOME graphical printer setup tool, my printer isn't in the ...

  1. Setting Up Network Printer

    Hello there. I'm running Debian 4.0 (Etch) with GNOME and have a Canon
    MP530, which is connected to a Windows XP computer.

    The problem is that when I use the GNOME graphical printer setup tool,
    my printer isn't in the list that it gives me. I've downloaded the
    proper printer driver, but if I click Install Driver, it tells me that
    the driver is already installed. It's nowhere to be found within the
    setup tool, though.

    Please alert me if there's any additional information that you need.

  2. Re: Setting Up Network Printer

    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 04:35:18 +0000, Colonel Communism wrote this:

    > Hello there. I'm running Debian 4.0 (Etch) with GNOME and have a Canon
    > MP530, which is connected to a Windows XP computer.
    >
    > The problem is that when I use the GNOME graphical printer setup tool, my
    > printer isn't in the list that it gives me. I've downloaded the proper
    > printer driver, but if I click Install Driver, it tells me that the driver
    > is already installed. It's nowhere to be found within the setup tool,
    > though.
    >
    > Please alert me if there's any additional information that you need.

    Try using a print model as similar to your model as possible like MP525,
    etc. Or a generic model. It may be that exact model isn't available
    but the driver is the same for your model.

  3. Re: Setting Up Network

    noi wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 04:35:18 +0000, Colonel Communism wrote this:
    >
    >> Hello there. I'm running Debian 4.0 (Etch) with GNOME and have a Canon
    >> MP530, which is connected to a Windows XP computer.
    >>
    >> The problem is that when I use the GNOME graphical printer setup tool, my
    >> printer isn't in the list that it gives me. I've downloaded the proper
    >> printer driver, but if I click Install Driver, it tells me that the driver
    >> is already installed. It's nowhere to be found within the setup tool,
    >> though.
    >>
    >> Please alert me if there's any additional information that you need.

    > Try using a print model as similar to your model as possible like MP525,
    > etc. Or a generic model. It may be that exact model isn't available
    > but the driver is the same for your model.

    Using Foomatic and Samba, I was able to get the driver recognized and
    everything, but another problem has cropped up. If I try to print
    something from the command line, I get this message:

    $ sudo lp /home/user/test.txt
    request id is MainComputer-10 (1 file(s))

    It looks like it's working, but my printer does nothing. Samba
    definitely recognizes the printer, because if I type the following
    command, it recognizes my printer. The result is printed at the bottom
    of the message.

    Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

    $ smbclient -L Homebox (the name of the host computer)
    Domain=[Homebox] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    print$ Disk Printer Drivers
    SharedDocs Disk
    CanonFax Printer Canon MP530 FAX
    Canon Printer Canon MP530 Series Printer
    Domain=[Homebox] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------

  4. Re: Setting Up Network

    On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 08:54:03 -0800, Colonel Communism wrote this:

    > noi wrote:
    >> On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 04:35:18 +0000, Colonel Communism wrote this:
    >>
    >>> Hello there. I'm running Debian 4.0 (Etch) with GNOME and have a Canon
    >>> MP530, which is connected to a Windows XP computer.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is that when I use the GNOME graphical printer setup tool,
    >>> my printer isn't in the list that it gives me. I've downloaded the
    >>> proper printer driver, but if I click Install Driver, it tells me that
    >>> the driver is already installed. It's nowhere to be found within the
    >>> setup tool, though.
    >>>
    >>> Please alert me if there's any additional information that you need.

    >> Try using a print model as similar to your model as possible like MP525,
    >> etc. Or a generic model. It may be that exact model isn't available
    >> but the driver is the same for your model.

    > Using Foomatic and Samba, I was able to get the driver recognized and
    > everything, but another problem has cropped up. If I try to print
    > something from the command line, I get this message:
    >
    > $ sudo lp /home/user/test.txt
    > request id is MainComputer-10 (1 file(s))
    >
    > It looks like it's working, but my printer does nothing. Samba definitely
    > recognizes the printer, because if I type the following command, it
    > recognizes my printer. The result is printed at the bottom of the
    > message.
    >
    > Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

    I'm not sure what's happening with your commandline.

    Did you try ?
    $ lp -d destaddr -h hostname ~/test.txt

    What do get with?:
    $ lpstat

    $ lpc status

    If the printer works from the gui then Samba's connection is correct and
    the issue the printer environment for the commandline.

    > $ smbclient -L Homebox (the name of the host computer) Domain=[Homebox]
    > OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    >
    > Sharename Type Comment
    > --------- ---- -------
    > IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    > print$ Disk Printer Drivers SharedDocs Disk
    > CanonFax Printer Canon MP530 FAX Canon Printer
    > Canon MP530 Series Printer
    > Domain=[Homebox] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    >
    > Server Comment
    > --------- -------
    >
    > Workgroup Master
    > --------- -------

  5. Re: Setting Up Network

    noi wrote:

    > I'm not sure what's happening with your commandline.
    >
    > Did you try ?
    > $ lp -d destaddr -h hostname ~/test.txt
    >
    > What do get with?:
    > $ lpstat
    >
    > $ lpc status
    >
    > If the printer works from the gui then Samba's connection is correct and
    > the issue the printer environment for the commandline.

    $ lp -d MainComputer ~/test.txt
    request id is MainComputer-13 (1 file(s))

    So it looks like it's about to print. When it's run with the -h option
    set, it says:

    $ lp -d MainComputer -h Homebox ~/test.txt
    lp: No such file or directory

    This occurs regardless of whether or not I run it in root. Anyway,
    after it says the thing about the request id, I run lpstat, and it does
    nothing. If I run lpc status (which must be in root), it says:

    $ sudo lpc status
    MainComputer:
    printer is on device 'smb' speed -1
    queuing is enabled
    printing is enabled
    no entries
    daemon present

    The printer doesn't work from the GUI or the command line, incidentally.

    I appreciate your time in this. Thanks for at least getting me this far.

  6. Re: Setting Up Network

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 01:16:01 +0000, Colonel Communism wrote this:

    > noi wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm not sure what's happening with your commandline.
    >>
    >> Did you try ?
    >> $ lp -d destaddr -h hostname ~/test.txt
    >>
    >> What do get with?:
    >> $ lpstat
    >>
    >> $ lpc status
    >>
    >> If the printer works from the gui then Samba's connection is correct and
    >> the issue the printer environment for the commandline.

    > $ lp -d MainComputer ~/test.txt
    > request id is MainComputer-13 (1 file(s))
    >
    > So it looks like it's about to print. When it's run with the -h option
    > set, it says:
    >
    > $ lp -d MainComputer -h Homebox ~/test.txt lp: No such file or
    > directory
    >
    > This occurs regardless of whether or not I run it in root. Anyway,
    > after it says the thing about the request id, I run lpstat, and it does
    > nothing.
    > If I run lpc status (which must be in root), it says:
    >
    > $ sudo lpc status
    > MainComputer:
    > printer is on device 'smb' speed -1
    > queuing is enabled
    > printing is enabled
    > no entries
    > daemon present
    >
    > The printer doesn't work from the GUI or the command line, incidentally.
    >
    > I appreciate your time in this. Thanks for at least getting me this far.

    Hmm, looks ok did you try ?

    $ lp -d MainComputer ~/test.txt

    $ lpr -PCanonFax

    look for error messages

    $ less /var/log/cups/*log

    if you used Cups to setup your printer you should tried to print test
    pages. Sometimes Win needs a valid userid and password for the
    connection

+ Reply to Thread