New Computer: dx2250 - Hardware

This is a discussion on New Computer: dx2250 - Hardware ; Hello all, I am in the process of buying a much-needed new computer, and I saw this one: HP Compaq Business Desktop dx2250 2.4 GHz Athlon 64 3800+ Motherboard chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 Onboard ATI Radeon X1 300 With ...

  1. New Computer: dx2250

    Hello all, I am in the process of buying a much-needed new computer, and
    I saw this one:

    HP Compaq Business Desktop dx2250
    2.4 GHz Athlon 64 3800+
    Motherboard chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
    Onboard ATI Radeon X1 300

    With an added nVidia 6000 series. The distribution I will be running is
    debian stable/Win XP Pro dual boot. Is anyone familiar with this
    computer, or know of any problems that need to be overcome? I have
    searchced google for info on the dx2250 and linux, with little avail,
    and the chipset seems to be ok with possibly the latest kernel, but I
    wanted to be sure.

    Thanks for your time,
    Steve

  2. Re: New Computer: dx2250

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 15:05:19 -0500, Steven Brown wrote:

    > Hello all, I am in the process of buying a much-needed new computer, and
    > I saw this one:
    >
    > HP Compaq Business Desktop dx2250
    > 2.4 GHz Athlon 64 3800+
    > Motherboard chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 Onboard ATI Radeon X1 300
    >
    > With an added nVidia 6000 series. The distribution I will be running is
    > debian stable/Win XP Pro dual boot. Is anyone familiar with this
    > computer, or know of any problems that need to be overcome? I have
    > searchced google for info on the dx2250 and linux, with little avail,
    > and the chipset seems to be ok with possibly the latest kernel, but I
    > wanted to be sure.
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    > Steve

    For AMD systems the Nvidia Nforce chipsets are preferable but I don't
    think you'll have any trouble with this system. However if I were you I'd
    get an Intel Core2 system rather than an A64 system. The Core2 is
    significantly faster. The one thing you have to watch out for with Core2
    boxes is the DVD reader, it should be an SATA drive not a PATA drive. The
    PATA controller on the Core2 boards requires 2.6.19 or better, most
    installers still have an older kernel. The ethernet controllers on the
    Core2s also require 2.6.19 or better. However once you put a current
    kernel on these systems they work great (FC6 is using 2.6.19.x at the
    moment so it's fine). With Debian you might have to build your own kernel
    or switch to Ubuntu which is more up to date. When the next generation
    distros come out such as FC7 or Feisty Fawn, this PATA and MAC issues
    will go away, but for now you need to be careful. On A64 Nforce systems
    there are no known issues so if you want to be absolutely safe get an
    Nforce based system.

  3. Re: New Computer: dx2250

    Hello,

    Just go at the shop with a Knoppix or any other test CD and boot on it to
    know if the computer will be yours.

    Ciao @+

    Steven Brown wrote:

    > Hello all, I am in the process of buying a much-needed new computer, and
    > I saw this one:
    >
    > HP Compaq Business Desktop dx2250
    > 2.4 GHz Athlon 64 3800+
    > Motherboard chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
    > Onboard ATI Radeon X1 300
    >
    > With an added nVidia 6000 series. The distribution I will be running is
    > debian stable/Win XP Pro dual boot. Is anyone familiar with this
    > computer, or know of any problems that need to be overcome? I have
    > searchced google for info on the dx2250 and linux, with little avail,
    > and the chipset seems to be ok with possibly the latest kernel, but I
    > wanted to be sure.
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    > Steve

+ Reply to Thread