Tyan K8WE (S2895) with 16GB RAM only sees 12GB - Hardware

This is a discussion on Tyan K8WE (S2895) with 16GB RAM only sees 12GB - Hardware ; Hi all, I've upgraded the memory to 16GB but the BIOS only detects 12GB. I did update to the latest BIOS version 1.4. I am using Kingston KVR400D4R3A/2G. Does anybody know another memory make or module that works? Thanks Leon...

  1. Tyan K8WE (S2895) with 16GB RAM only sees 12GB

    Hi all,

    I've upgraded the memory to 16GB but the BIOS only detects 12GB. I did
    update to the latest BIOS version 1.4.
    I am using Kingston KVR400D4R3A/2G. Does anybody know another memory
    make or module that works?

    Thanks
    Leon

  2. Re: Tyan K8WE (S2895) with 16GB RAM only sees 12GB

    On Mar 2, 3:01 am, "LJB" wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've upgraded the memory to 16GB but the BIOS only detects 12GB. I did
    > update to the latest BIOS version 1.4.
    > I am using Kingston KVR400D4R3A/2G. Does anybody know another memory
    > make or module that works?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Leon

    First check if it is the memory or the slots that are defective. That
    is, will any 12 GB out of your 16 GB be recognized if you put it in
    working slots, and memory placed in the remaining slots not work no
    matter which sticks you place there? That would correspond to a
    problem we had with our S2895 system. The vendor has offered to
    replace the MB, but we are waiting to schedule some downtime.

    [note to readers paying close attention. Yes, we have 2 32 GB systems
    with different MB brands (Tyan and Supermicro) and neither will boot
    FC6 with more than 24 GB installed.]

    Daniel Feenberg
    feenberg isat nber dotte org

  3. Re: Tyan K8WE (S2895) with 16GB RAM only sees 12GB

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 00:01:24 -0800, LJB wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've upgraded the memory to 16GB but the BIOS only detects 12GB. I did
    > update to the latest BIOS version 1.4.
    > I am using Kingston KVR400D4R3A/2G. Does anybody know another memory
    > make or module that works?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Leon

    Damn. And people over in the vista news group are working on trying to get
    it to use all 4gb.

+ Reply to Thread