USB Ext Floppy - NEC UF0002 on SUSE - Hardware

This is a discussion on USB Ext Floppy - NEC UF0002 on SUSE - Hardware ; Just got this drive for some legacy stuff, seems to work fine in xp. On SUSE 10.2 it detects the drive as an "External Floppy Drive", trys to read then dumps me this error every time: [Method "Mount" with signature ...

  1. USB Ext Floppy - NEC UF0002 on SUSE

    Just got this drive for some legacy stuff, seems to work fine in xp.
    On SUSE 10.2 it detects the drive as an "External Floppy Drive", trys
    to read then dumps me this error every time:

    [Method "Mount" with signature 'ssas on interface
    'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume' doesnt exits]

    All knowledgeable input appreciated, Thank you!

  2. Re: USB Ext Floppy - NEC UF0002 on SUSE

    waki staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Just got this [USB floppy] drive for some [old] stuff

    Move your data off the floppy disks ASAP and don't use floppies
    once the data's moved to faster, more reliable media.

    > On SUSE 10.2 it detects the drive as an "External Floppy Drive",
    > [tries] to read, then [gives] me this error every time: Method "Mount"
    > with signature 'ssas' on interface 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume'
    > [doesn't exist]

    Automounters suck, big surprise. Mount the thing manually with
    /bin/mount, you'll at least get a sane error message. It'll
    appear as an unpartitioned SCSI device, /dev/sda unless you have real
    SCSI or SATA disks on this system. Check dmesg for the device name,
    then mount it somewhere, then copy your stuff. NOTE: Very few USB
    floppy drives can read disks that aren't 1.4M, 80 tracks, 18
    sectors/track, and lowlevel-formatting disks requires undocumented
    special magic as well.

    --
    So, what do *you* do for a living?
    I sit in a chair, pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers