here is how i fixed boot on laptop - Hardware

This is a discussion on here is how i fixed boot on laptop - Hardware ; I purchased a toshiba laptop sat135, dual core 1.7 processors, two 120gig hard drives 2+megs of memory. Well after I installed Mandriva 2007 it would hang on boot. At first I thought it was the built in Lan card and ...

  1. here is how i fixed boot on laptop

    I purchased a toshiba laptop sat135, dual core 1.7 processors, two 120gig
    hard drives 2+megs of memory. Well after I installed Mandriva 2007 it
    would hang on boot. At first I thought it was the built in Lan card and
    built in wifi card. If I disconnected them it might boot in, then I would
    do a reboot to get them online. Well yesterday I decided to stop several
    of the services to see if one would allow the boot through. I stopped the
    Alsa and bam, slight error that the sound is off but it boots through. No
    hang ups, no issues. I am then able to start Alsa after boot. Everything
    else works. Anyone have an idea why Alsa hangs on boot...thanks

    --
    gone in less than one second---------->>>>>>>>>>>>
    jjim..........registered linux user 281836

  2. Re: here is how i fixed boot on laptop

    jjim wrote:
    > I purchased a toshiba laptop sat135...

    For the record, what is the complete model number of the laptop?

    > ...after I installed Mandriva 2007 it would hang on boot.
    > At first I thought it was the built in Lan card...

    Out of curiosity, can you determine the type of Ethernet interface. Is the
    network chipset equivalent to a Realtek 8139D, for instance?

    I'm having the same problem on some old hardware. If I remove the network card,
    the boot does not hang. I've tried several kernel versions. A old 2.6.12
    works. Nothing newer does. Some of my searches have led me to the conclusion
    that it is an interrupt routing bug.

    I have tried several flavors of Linux (Ubuntu Edgy Eft, BasicLinux3, Slackware
    11) without success. Then I moved to FreeBSD and NetBSD. Success! They both
    see the network card just fine. (To check the current BSD versions, I booted
    the hardware from a couple of floppies.)

    --
    Chuck

  3. Re: here is how i fixed boot on laptop

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 00:40:19 +0000, Charles wrote:

    > jjim wrote:
    >> I purchased a toshiba laptop sat135...

    > For the record, what is the complete model number of the laptop?
    >
    >> ...after I installed Mandriva 2007 it would hang on boot.
    >> At first I thought it was the built in Lan card...

    > Out of curiosity, can you determine the type of Ethernet interface. Is the
    > network chipset equivalent to a Realtek 8139D, for instance?
    >
    > I'm having the same problem on some old hardware. If I remove the network card,
    > the boot does not hang. I've tried several kernel versions. A old 2.6.12
    > works. Nothing newer does. Some of my searches have led me to the conclusion
    > that it is an interrupt routing bug.
    >
    > I have tried several flavors of Linux (Ubuntu Edgy Eft, BasicLinux3, Slackware
    > 11) without success. Then I moved to FreeBSD and NetBSD. Success! They both
    > see the network card just fine. (To check the current BSD versions, I booted
    > the hardware from a couple of floppies.)

    It is a Toshiba Satellite A130/135 Series notebook.it has the network
    chipset eqiv to Realtek 81390. Also a Intell Pro Wifi builtin...when I
    removed the lan from the bios, I usually got in after two consecutive
    boots, not always. There is no where to shut off the plug n play in the
    bios of this box, once I removed the Alsa from starting on boot, I get a
    clear shot with no problems, both the lan and the wifi can be on.I am
    using Mandriva 2007. I think your interrupt routing bug may be the cause
    also.

    --
    gone in less than one second---------->>>>>>>>>>>>
    jjim..........registered linux user 281836

  4. Re: here is how i fixed boot on laptop

    jjim wrote:
    > It is a Toshiba Satellite A130/135 Series notebook.it has the network
    > chipset eqiv to Realtek 81390.

    That's probably a 8139D.

    > I think your interrupt routing bug may be the cause also.

    There are various workarounds for this condition with varying degrees of
    success. Do a search for '8139D' or the driver, '8139too' and boot options such
    as noapic, nolapic and acpi=off. Sometimes those work. I had to blacklist the
    8139too driver to get the computer to boot. Of course, that leaves the machine
    without a network connection. In some cases, just removing and reinserting the
    Ethernet cable unstuck the boot. Of course, lspci always saw the network
    interface card.

    The author of 8139too, Jeff Garzik has written:
    This is one of 1001 similar symptoms of the same problem, "interrupt routing
    bug(s)".
    --
    Chuck

+ Reply to Thread