Stuck printer pins ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Stuck printer pins ? - Hardware ; http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22 > ... > Your search - "stuck printer pins" - did not match any documents. > Don't you call them "pins" ? You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ? I only print once every 3 months; and ...

  1. Stuck printer pins ?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22
    > Your search - "stuck printer pins" - did not match any documents.

    Don't you call them "pins" ?
    You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ?

    I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    the pins faster.

    Please advise me how to solve this problem.

    == Chris Glur.

  2. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    > I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    > are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    > Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    > metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    > the pins faster.
    >
    > Please advise me how to solve this problem.
    >
    > == Chris Glur.

    Stick a test page through once a week

    Dave
    --
    Foot Massage @ Home
    Luxurious, foot massage in Worcestershire

  3. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc news@absamail.co.za wrote:
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22
    >> Your search - "stuck printer pins" - did not match any documents.
    >>

    > Don't you call them "pins" ?
    > You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ?

    > I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    > are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    > Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    > metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    > the pins faster.

    > Please advise me how to solve this problem.

    Maybe you are not using quality ink-ribbons? Best clean the head
    thoroughly and then get original ribbons from the printer manufacturer.

    Arno

  4. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    news@absamail.co.za wrote:
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22
    >> Your search - "stuck printer pins" - did not match any documents.
    >>

    > Don't you call them "pins" ?
    > You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ?

    Try this search instead:

    http://www.google.ca/search?n&q=%22d...22stuck+pin%22

  5. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:10:34 -0600, news wrote:

    > http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22
    >> Your search - "stuck printer pins" - did not match any documents.
    >>

    > Don't you call them "pins" ?
    > You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ?
    >
    > I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    > are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    > Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    > metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    > the pins faster.
    >
    > Please advise me how to solve this problem.
    >
    > == Chris Glur.

    Get one of the inexpensive, sub $100 lasers on the market?

  6. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    In article <1171202974.149375@vasbyt.isdsl.net>, news@absamail.co.za wrote:
    > I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    > are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    > Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    > metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    > the pins faster.

    What I would do is use very fine lubricant that is designed
    for an electric razor. Just need ONE drop! and do a few pages or
    printing. NEVER use "Mentolated Spirits" or rubbing alchol as a
    regular cleaning regimen without relubrication why? You strip the
    lubricant OFF with the alcohol (Never could spell that word right
    despite that fact that I use the stuff daily for cleaning tape heads.)
    I am glad you like to save trees but only printing a little
    ever three months. I pulled my old 9 pin dot matrix out a few months
    ago after it sat in the closet for two YEARS! no problem with stuck
    pins on my Panasonic KX-1180. What model dot matrix printer are you
    using?
    While you did not mention ribbon life. I have found that the
    KX-1180 ribbons last quite a long time unlike the Epson ones that dry
    out quickly (its because the whole ribbon is exposed to open air!
    But.. BOTH are more reliable than an InkJet (they clog if not used
    weekly) The price per page is also MUCH lower as well.

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org

  7. Sub-100 Laser printers, tape drive needed, Was Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    In article , ray wrote:
    > Get one of the inexpensive, sub $100 lasers on the market?

    Bad choice! Make that Sub-200 Monochrome laser and you got a
    better deal Get a Lexmark E232 printer or a E330 series. Consumables
    are inexpensive if you go generic and they print at 22PPM in addition
    to do 600DPI and Postscript Level 3 (in hardware). They also use
    Embedded Linux which is available as source code (I know, as I got the
    source for mine! (Lexmark E232 w/80MB (upgradded ram)) My prinyer can
    be found for around $190 (new).
    As for Dot matrix? Nothing can beat a dot matrix for quick and
    dirty and CHEAP! printing jobs on Tractor fed paper or tractor feed
    mailing labels. If you by the laser ones that come in big sheets. you
    have to want to print lots en-masse to offset the cost of the pages.
    you can't do a label at a time with those, unless you are willing to
    use a whole sheet for ONE Label.
    I am looking to get another Panasonic KX-1124 as it was one of
    the best dot matrix printers I had! True my Rainbow Star-NX1024 did
    color and was 24 pin the ribbons were just too hard to find! I lost
    both printers when my old apartment was Condemmed in Willimantic. BTW
    does anyone now where I can find a Wangtek 5150ES scsi QIC-150 tape
    drive? I got my old tapes from the old apartment computer which I
    still would like to read. forgot to grab the drive (ugh!).

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org
    Web Site: http://pinkrose.dhis.org, Dialup 860-618-3091 300-33600 bps
    The New Cnews maintainer
    B'ichela

  8. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    In article <1171202974.149375@vasbyt.isdsl.net>, wrote:
    >http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22
    >> Your search - "stuck printer pins" - did not match any documents.
    >>

    >Don't you call them "pins" ?
    >You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ?
    >
    >I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    >are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    >Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    >metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    >the pins faster.

    Wow...someone's still using a dot-matrix printer. :-)

    That bit of snark aside, you might want to try getting a light oil (like
    sewing-machine oil) down into the head. If you're cleaning the head (which
    I assume is what "metholated spirits" does, whatever it is...I used to clean
    the printhead of my Imagewriter with a Q-tip dipped in either rubbing
    alcohol or tape-head cleaner) but not following up with any lubrication, it
    follows that some friction might develop between the pins and the rest of
    the printhead. A drop or two of oil ought to fix that. You'll probably
    want to run off a page or two of text to get the oil evenly distributed.

    _/_
    (IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
    \_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  9. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:10:34 -0600, news@absamail.co.za wrote:

    >http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22
    >> Your search - "stuck printer pins" - did not match any documents.
    >>

    >Don't you call them "pins" ?
    >You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ?
    >
    >I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    >are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    >Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    >metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    >the pins faster.
    >
    >Please advise me how to solve this problem.
    >
    >== Chris Glur.

    Methylated spirits? I had to look that one up. Denatured Alcohol,
    95% ethanol + 5% methanol (some sites list it as 90% ethanol, 10%
    methanol). That might actually be making it worse later, because
    you're removing all the lubrication. A light spray lubricant with a
    solvent content might be a better choice. WD40 was the product of
    choice in the old days. Using alcohol, or acetone, you're flushing
    out the old crud, but you're not leaving any lubrication behind -- and
    those heads need lubrication.

    If you want to cut down on the issue, replace, or relube the ribbon at
    least every 6 months -- a year at most. The ink in the ribbon
    contains lubricant, which lubricates and the ribbon will clean and
    lubricate the head as it prints. Relubing a ribbon involves taking
    apart the cartridge and giving the ribbon a spritz of WD40 or a
    similar product, but ideally, you'd replace the ribbon.

    That's assuming the head isn't damaged. It's entirely possible for
    the pins to be bent slightly out of alignment over the years due to
    poor maintenance or by a snag on a ragged ribbon (ie. over used). Such
    a head would stick quite often and there's not much you can do then
    except replace the head or live with it.
    Thanks,
    MCheu

  10. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:33:28 -0500, MCheu wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:10:34 -0600, news@absamail.co.za wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22
    >>> Your search - "stuck printer pins" - did not match any documents.
    >>>

    >>Don't you call them "pins" ?
    >>You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ?
    >>
    >>I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    >>are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    >>Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    >>metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    >>the pins faster.
    >>
    >>Please advise me how to solve this problem.
    >>
    >>== Chris Glur.

    > Methylated spirits? I had to look that one up. Denatured Alcohol,
    > 95% ethanol + 5% methanol (some sites list it as 90% ethanol, 10%
    > methanol). That might actually be making it worse later, because
    > you're removing all the lubrication. A light spray lubricant with a
    > solvent content might be a better choice. WD40 was the product of
    > choice in the old days. Using alcohol, or acetone, you're flushing
    > out the old crud, but you're not leaving any lubrication behind -- and
    > those heads need lubrication.

    As I understand it, WD40 functions mostly as a solvent - very little
    lubricating value. I'd think the best procedure would be to clean
    thoroughly and then lubricate with a light oil like sewing machine oil.

    > If you want to cut down on the issue, replace, or relube the ribbon at
    > least every 6 months -- a year at most. The ink in the ribbon
    > contains lubricant, which lubricates and the ribbon will clean and
    > lubricate the head as it prints. Relubing a ribbon involves taking
    > apart the cartridge and giving the ribbon a spritz of WD40 or a
    > similar product, but ideally, you'd replace the ribbon.
    >
    > That's assuming the head isn't damaged. It's entirely possible for
    > the pins to be bent slightly out of alignment over the years due to
    > poor maintenance or by a snag on a ragged ribbon (ie. over used). Such
    > a head would stick quite often and there's not much you can do then
    > except replace the head or live with it.
    > Thanks,
    > MCheu

  11. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:33:28 -0500, MCheu wrote:

    >Methylated spirits? I had to look that one up. Denatured Alcohol,
    >95% ethanol + 5% methanol (some sites list it as 90% ethanol, 10%
    >methanol). That might actually be making it worse later, because
    >you're removing all the lubrication. A light spray lubricant with a
    >solvent content might be a better choice. WD40 was the product of
    >choice in the old days. Using alcohol, or acetone, you're flushing
    >out the old crud, but you're not leaving any lubrication behind -- and
    >those heads need lubrication.

    I don't think WD40 has evern been the product of choice for precision
    machinery. A better method might be to clean it with denatured alcohol
    and relubricate it with sewing machine oil.

  12. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:10:34 -0600, news@absamail.co.za wrote:

    >http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22
    >> Your search - "stuck printer pins" - did not match any documents.
    >>

    >Don't you call them "pins" ?
    >You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ?

    I would use "wire" in a search but the answer is still going to be
    lubrication if you don't have a bad coil, broken flat cable or driver.
    IBM has a lub specifically for doing this but it is basically a very
    low viscosity silicone oil. You could spray some canned silicone lub
    in the cap and apply it with an eye dropper. As the other poster said,
    a little dab will do you. One drop.
    I have been working on these things since the wires and coils were
    FRUs (replaceable parts). We used wire printers as system consoles in
    the 70s. I still have a couple around here for things you can't do on
    a laser.

  13. Re: Sub-100 Laser printers, tape drive needed, Was Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:16:16 GMT, B'ichela
    wrote:

    >As for Dot matrix? Nothing can beat a dot matrix for quick and
    >dirty and CHEAP! printing jobs on Tractor fed paper or tractor feed
    >mailing labels. If you by the laser ones that come in big sheets. you
    >have to want to print lots en-masse to offset the cost of the pages.
    >you can't do a label at a time with those, unless you are willing to
    >use a whole sheet for ONE Label.

    Good point. You also can't print a carbon on an ink jet or laser. That
    is handy for reciepts and job tickets where you want signatures on the
    origiinal document. If you notice, most counter sale operations still
    use wire printers.

  14. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    On 2007-02-11, news@absamail.co.za wrote:

    > I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    > are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    > Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    > metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    > the pins faster.

    It's been a while since I've used a dot-matrix printer, but back then I
    found squirting a little WD-40 on the print head would usually free up
    the stuck pins.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  15. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    On 2007-02-12, ray wrote:

    > As I understand it, WD40 functions mostly as a solvent - very little
    > lubricating value. I'd think the best procedure would be to clean
    > thoroughly and then lubricate with a light oil like sewing machine oil.

    It's not the best lubricant, but it does penetrate well, which makes it
    useful in this application. The ink already has a lubricant so once the
    pin is freed, printing (with a decent ribbon) will relubricate the pin.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  16. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    ray writes:

    > As I understand it, WD40 functions mostly as a solvent - very little
    > lubricating value. I'd think the best procedure would be to clean
    > thoroughly and then lubricate with a light oil like sewing machine oil.

    FWIW, WD40 works better as a very light lubricant than as anything
    else, particularly a solvent; its claim to fame is as a penetrating
    lubricant (though there are better penetrating oils on the market --
    but none so easy to find!)

  17. Re: Sub-100 Laser printers, tape drive needed, Was Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    In article , gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:16:16 GMT, B'ichela
    > wrote:
    > Good point. You also can't print a carbon on an ink jet or laser. That
    > is handy for reciepts and job tickets where you want signatures on the
    > origiinal document. If you notice, most counter sale operations still
    > use wire printers.

    I certainly have! for that task alone they do excell very
    well. But even for normal every day Ascii text file printing they work
    great.

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org
    Web Site: http://pinkrose.dhis.org, Dialup 860-618-3091 300-33600 bps
    The New Cnews maintainer
    B'ichela

  18. Re: Sub-100 Laser printers, tape drive needed, Was Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:29:38 -0500, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:16:16 GMT, B'ichela
    >wrote:

    >>As for Dot matrix? Nothing can beat a dot matrix for quick and
    >>dirty and CHEAP! printing jobs on Tractor fed paper or tractor feed
    >>mailing labels. If you by the laser ones that come in big sheets. you
    >>have to want to print lots en-masse to offset the cost of the pages.
    >>you can't do a label at a time with those, unless you are willing to
    >>use a whole sheet for ONE Label.

    >Good point. You also can't print a carbon on an ink jet or laser. That
    >is handy for reciepts and job tickets where you want signatures on the
    >origiinal document. If you notice, most counter sale operations still
    >use wire printers.

    Most counter sales don't use paper copies for keeping records. They
    print one copy and store the other one on a server. I can't remember the
    last time I came across a dot matrix printer except for perhaps a my
    auto mechanic who is using a twenty year old system.

    About the only application where copies are printed out most of the time
    are credit card receipts they they're usually done using 2 1/4" thermal
    paper.

  19. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    wrote in message
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22
    >> Your search - "stuck printer pins" - did not match any documents.
    >>

    > Don't you call them "pins" ?
    > You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ?
    >
    > I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    > are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    > Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    > metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    > the pins faster.

    Methylated spirits are not really the right thing to use as it does leave
    solid residue which can gum up the pins. Isopropyl alcohol would be a much
    better choice. Let it have a good soak to really penetrate the pin
    channels. On the final soak, disolve a little 3-in-1 oil in it to leave a
    light film of lubrication behind, but if the printer is not regularly used,
    this can make the problem worse as the oil absorbs the ink.

  20. Re: Stuck printer pins ?

    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.02.12.17.15.56.669472@zianet.com...
    > On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:33:28 -0500, MCheu wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:10:34 -0600, news@absamail.co.za wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stuck+printer+pins%22
    >>>>

    >>>Don't you call them "pins" ?
    >>>You know: 'a 9 pin' dot matrix printer ?
    >>>
    >>>I only print once every 3 months; and then I find that the pins
    >>>are stuck. Usually they all come out and strike after a few pages.
    >>>Previously I've found that if Iput some absorbant-paper soaked in
    >>>metholated-spirits on the head at the pins, it helps to free-up
    >>>the pins faster.
    >>>
    >>>Please advise me how to solve this problem.
    >>>
    >>>== Chris Glur.

    >> Methylated spirits? I had to look that one up. Denatured Alcohol,
    >> 95% ethanol + 5% methanol (some sites list it as 90% ethanol, 10%
    >> methanol). That might actually be making it worse later, because
    >> you're removing all the lubrication. A light spray lubricant with a
    >> solvent content might be a better choice. WD40 was the product of
    >> choice in the old days. Using alcohol, or acetone, you're flushing
    >> out the old crud, but you're not leaving any lubrication behind -- and
    >> those heads need lubrication.

    > As I understand it, WD40 functions mostly as a solvent - very little
    > lubricating value. I'd think the best procedure would be to clean
    > thoroughly and then lubricate with a light oil like sewing machine oil.

    WD40 contains a parafin which does act as a lubricant, albeit a very thin
    one.

+ Reply to Thread