Maxtor One Touch III - Hardware

This is a discussion on Maxtor One Touch III - Hardware ; I have a Maxtor One Touch III 150GB USB drive. Now I plugged it into my WinXP box and it's all happy and does it's backup thing. I plug it into my Fedora box and Fedora isn't too happy with ...

  1. Maxtor One Touch III

    I have a Maxtor One Touch III 150GB USB drive.

    Now I plugged it into my WinXP box and it's all happy and does it's
    backup thing.

    I plug it into my Fedora box and Fedora isn't too happy with it.
    Aparently it is formated in NTFS. If I only wanted read ability, that
    would be fine since with the right software Fedora seems to be able to
    read it. However it doesn't work if I want to write something to it.

    No worries, I'll just reformat it to something that both Windoze and
    Linux can read and write to -- FAT32.

    Ok do a quick /sbin/mkdosfs -I -F32 /dev/sde and it's all happy.

    Until I plug it back into the Windows box... Now aparently the WinXP
    box thinks the drive is unalocated and wants me to add a partition to
    it. It won't to more than 21GB as FAT32 and then subsquent partitions
    seem to be limited to 8GB. Not really going to work.

    So is there some filesystem that will work on this drive that both Win
    and Linux can have read and write access to it?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Maxtor One Touch III

    On 5 Feb 2007 14:42:34 -0800, Jistan Idiot staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > I have a Maxtor One Touch III 150GB USB drive. Aparently it is
    > [formatted with] NTFS. It doesn't work if I want to write something
    > to it.

    Install+use ntfs-3g, should be no problem. ntfs-3g is still considered
    beta, so it may require non-n00b-friendly steps to install, but doing
    those things will be good practice for you.

    > /sbin/mkdosfs -I -F32 /dev/sde

    You should always partition hard-disk-like devices, otherwise 'Doze will
    be unhappy with them. The appropriate partition type for that is 0x0c
    (FAT32 LBA).

    > Now aparently the WinXP box thinks the drive is [unallocated] and
    > wants me to add a partition to it.

    See previous paragraph.

    > It won't [do] more than 21GB as FAT32 and then [subsequent] partitions
    > seem to be limited to 8GB.

    Create the FAT32 partition in Linux, should be no problem.

    --
    And I ruthlessly pay as little money as possible for as many french
    fries as I can, thanks to the evil tax dodge known as "Super Sizing."

  3. Re: Maxtor One Touch III

    Jistan Idiot wrote:
    > I have a Maxtor One Touch III 150GB USB drive.
    >
    > Now I plugged it into my WinXP box and it's all happy and does it's
    > backup thing.
    >
    > I plug it into my Fedora box and Fedora isn't too happy with it.
    > Aparently it is formated in NTFS. If I only wanted read ability, that
    > would be fine since with the right software Fedora seems to be able to
    > read it. However it doesn't work if I want to write something to it.
    >
    > No worries, I'll just reformat it to something that both Windoze and
    > Linux can read and write to -- FAT32.
    >
    > Ok do a quick /sbin/mkdosfs -I -F32 /dev/sde and it's all happy.
    >
    > Until I plug it back into the Windows box... Now aparently the WinXP
    > box thinks the drive is unalocated and wants me to add a partition to
    > it.

    Yup. Go back to Linux. Use 'fdisk' to create a partition (or
    partitions) on the drive. Then repeat your previous mkdosfs command
    using /dev/sde1 (and/or /dev/sde2, etc., if you decide on multiple
    partitions.)

    By putting the filesystem on /dev/sde instead of /dev/sde1 you blew away
    the partition table. Linux doesn't care, but as you've seen, Windows does.

  4. Re: Maxtor One Touch III

    On Feb 5, 6:18 pm, John-Paul Stewart
    wrote:
    > Jistan Idiot wrote:
    > > I have a Maxtor One Touch III 150GB USB drive.

    > > Now I plugged it into my WinXP box and it's all happy and does it's
    > > backup thing.

    > > I plug it into my Fedora box and Fedora isn't too happy with it.
    > > Aparently it is formated in NTFS. If I only wanted read ability, that
    > > would be fine since with the right software Fedora seems to be able to
    > > read it. However it doesn't work if I want to write something to it.

    > > No worries, I'll just reformat it to something that both Windoze and
    > > Linux can read and write to -- FAT32.

    > > Ok do a quick /sbin/mkdosfs -I -F32 /dev/sde and it's all happy.

    > > Until I plug it back into the Windows box... Now aparently the WinXP
    > > box thinks the drive is unalocated and wants me to add a partition to
    > > it.

    > Yup. Go back to Linux. Use 'fdisk' to create a partition (or
    > partitions) on the drive. Then repeat your previous mkdosfs command
    > using /dev/sde1 (and/or /dev/sde2, etc., if you decide on multiple
    > partitions.)
    >
    > By putting the filesystem on /dev/sde instead of /dev/sde1 you blew away
    > the partition table. Linux doesn't care, but as you've seen, Windows does.

    Well the fdisk thing kinda worked.
    I did:
    fdisk /dev/sde
    I chose "n add a new partition"
    I then did the mkdosfs on /dev/sde1
    That seemed to be fine in Linux.

    Windows still doesn't give it a drive letter. However it does see it
    as a FAT32 unknown healthy partition. So I think I'm closer. Now I
    just have to figure out why Windows doesn't give it a drive letter and
    I'll be in business.

  5. Re: Maxtor One Touch III

    Jistan Idiot wrote:

    > Well the fdisk thing kinda worked.
    > I did:
    > fdisk /dev/sde
    > I chose "n add a new partition"
    > I then did the mkdosfs on /dev/sde1
    > That seemed to be fine in Linux.
    >
    > Windows still doesn't give it a drive letter. However it does see it
    > as a FAT32 unknown healthy partition. So I think I'm closer.

    What partition type does fdisk show? Dances With Crows mentioned that
    0x0c is the right one---and that's almost certainly not the fdisk default.

  6. Re: Maxtor One Touch III

    On Feb 5, 7:33 pm, John-Paul Stewart
    wrote:
    > Jistan Idiot wrote:
    >
    > > Well the fdisk thing kinda worked.
    > > I did:
    > > fdisk /dev/sde
    > > I chose "n add a new partition"
    > > I then did the mkdosfs on /dev/sde1
    > > That seemed to be fine in Linux.

    > > Windows still doesn't give it a drive letter. However it does see it
    > > as a FAT32 unknown healthy partition. So I think I'm closer.

    > What partition type does fdisk show? Dances With Crows mentioned that
    > 0x0c is the right one---and that's almost certainly not the fdisk default.

    I don't see an option for that

    Disk /dev/sde: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sde1 1 19457 156288321 83 Linux

    Here's the partition table from the advance menu:
    Disk /dev/sde: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 19457 cylinders

    Nr AF Hd Sec Cyl Hd Sec Cyl Start Size ID
    1 00 1 1 0 254 63 1023 63 312576642 83
    2 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 00
    3 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 00
    4 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 00

    What am I missing?

  7. Re: Maxtor One Touch III

    Jistan Idiot wrote:

    [putolin]

    >> What partition type does fdisk show? Dances With Crows mentioned that
    >> 0x0c is the right one---and that's almost certainly not the fdisk
    >> default.

    > I don't see an option for that
    >
    > Disk /dev/sde: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    >
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/sde1 1 19457 156288321 83 Linux

    ^^^^^^^^^
    This is a linux partition, doze knows nothing about this.

    You need to set the partition type in fdisk using the "t" command. Try
    using c as the type.

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  8. Re: Maxtor One Touch III

    On 5 Feb 2007 17:16:38 -0800, Jistan Idiot staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > On Feb 5, 7:33 pm, John-Paul Stewart
    > wrote:
    >> Jistan Idiot wrote:
    >> > fdisk /dev/sde
    >> > I chose "n add a new partition"
    >> > Windows still doesn't give it a drive letter. However it does see
    >> > it as a FAT32 unknown healthy partition. So I think I'm closer.

    >> What partition type does fdisk show? Dances With Crows mentioned
    >> that 0x0c is the right one

    > I don't see an option for that
    >
    > /dev/sde1 1 19457 156288321 83 Linux

    The "t" command in fdisk will allow you to change a partition's "t"ype
    (well, "system id", but whatever.) All partitioning programs including
    cfdisk will let you change the type to an arbitrary byte.

    --
    Stupidity got us into this mess--why can't it get us out?

  9. Re: Maxtor One Touch III

    On Feb 5, 8:45 pm, Baho Utot wrote:
    > Jistan Idiot wrote:
    >
    > [putolin]
    >
    > >> What partition type does fdisk show? Dances With Crows mentioned that
    > >> 0x0c is the rightone---and that's almost certainly not the fdisk
    > >> default.

    > > I don't see an option for that

    > > Disk /dev/sde: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    > > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    > > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    > > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > > /dev/sde1 1 19457 156288321 83 Linux

    > ^^^^^^^^^
    > This is a linux partition, doze knows nothing about this.
    >
    > You need to set the partition type in fdisk using the "t" command. Try
    > using c as the type.

    Ah-Ha! That did it!

    Thanks all.

  10. Re: Maxtor One Touch III

    Jistan Idiot wrote:

    > Until I plug it back into the Windows box... Now aparently the WinXP
    > box thinks the drive is unalocated and wants me to add a partition to
    > it. It won't to more than 21GB as FAT32 and then subsquent partitions
    > seem to be limited to 8GB. Not really going to work.

    I seem to recall that not being able to create FAT32 partitions greater than
    some (now) small size is a deliberate 'feature' of XP. I think it can use
    partions that are larger but not format them. Google may shed some light.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread