Please explain how to burn an iso to CDR? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Please explain how to burn an iso to CDR? - Hardware ; Hi excuse me for stupid question but I somehow forgot howto to burn a iso image to CD. I downloaded linux images and in NERO chose "CD iso" and just put the first iso file. That's it. the file was ...

  1. Please explain how to burn an iso to CDR?

    Hi

    excuse me for stupid question
    but I somehow forgot howto to burn a iso image
    to CD.

    I downloaded linux images and
    in NERO chose "CD iso" and just
    put the first iso file. That's it.

    the file was recorded but I couldn't boot
    from it and start installation:-(((

    So What I do wrong ? How to burn a instalation iso image so that it should
    possible to boot from it?

    Thank you very much

  2. Re: Please explain how to burn an iso to CDR?

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:31:35 +0300, serge wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > excuse me for stupid question
    > but I somehow forgot howto to burn a iso image
    > to CD.
    >
    > I downloaded linux images and
    > in NERO chose "CD iso" and just
    > put the first iso file. That's it.
    >
    > the file was recorded but I couldn't boot
    > from it and start installation:-(((
    >
    > So What I do wrong ? How to burn a instalation iso image so that it should
    > possible to boot from it?
    >

    > Thank you very much

    That should do it. I'd suggest mounting the CD (on an MS machine or
    anything else) and see if it has one file named whatever.iso or several
    files and directories. If the latter, then it has been created properly.
    You may need to get into you machines BIOS setup and enable booting from
    CD before the hard disk.

  3. Re: Please explain how to burn an iso to CDR?

    Hello
    thank you for the answer

    I looked into the CD and there is ONe file iso burnt (not several).
    What do you think?

    Serge

    "ray" / :
    newsan.2007.01.18.23.20.11.882504@zianet.com...
    > On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:31:35 +0300, serge wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> excuse me for stupid question
    >> but I somehow forgot howto to burn a iso image
    >> to CD.
    >>
    >> I downloaded linux images and
    >> in NERO chose "CD iso" and just
    >> put the first iso file. That's it.
    >>
    >> the file was recorded but I couldn't boot
    >> from it and start installation:-(((
    >>
    >> So What I do wrong ? How to burn a instalation iso image so that it
    >> should
    >> possible to boot from it?
    >>

    >> Thank you very much

    > That should do it. I'd suggest mounting the CD (on an MS machine or
    > anything else) and see if it has one file named whatever.iso or several
    > files and directories. If the latter, then it has been created properly.
    > You may need to get into you machines BIOS setup and enable booting from
    > CD before the hard disk.

  4. Re: Please explain how to burn an iso to CDR?

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:38:04 +0300, serge wrote:

    > I looked into the CD and there is ONe file iso burnt (not several).
    > What do you think?

    With 300+ linux distributions, you may want to read

    We have no idea what distribution and/or which cd set you downloaded
    and we cannot see what is on the cd. You have to provide some information.

    Maybe a bad burn, maybe a bad download. Did you verify the sha1sum or
    md5sum before burning.

    ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe
    http://etree.org/md5com.html

  5. Re: Please explain how to burn an iso to CDR?

    serge wrote:

    > Hello
    > thank you for the answer
    >
    > I looked into the CD and there is ONe file iso burnt (not several).
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Serge

    That means you have burned a data CD containing the iso image
    as a file. This is incorrect.

    The iso image is just that - an image of a complete filesystem
    containing many files and subdirectories. But it's also a file which
    can be added to another filesystem, as you have done.

    You need to burn the image directly to the CD. I don't know your
    program, but here is the first hit from Google:

    http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

    Kind regards,

    Iwo

  6. Re: Please explain how to burn an iso to CDR?

    serge wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > excuse me for stupid question
    > but I somehow forgot howto to burn a iso image
    > to CD.
    >
    > I downloaded linux images and
    > in NERO chose "CD iso" and just
    > put the first iso file. That's it.

    AFAIK nero has an option similar to 'burn as image'. Use that and it
    should work.

    As check after the burn, mount the CD and see that you're seeing
    the /contents/ of the ISO not just the iso file itself.
    HTH

  7. Re: Please explain how to burn an iso to CDR?

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:38:04 +0300, serge wrote:

    > Hello
    > thank you for the answer
    >
    > I looked into the CD and there is ONe file iso burnt (not several).
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Serge

    I've not used nero for several years, but there should be an option to
    'burn an iso disk image' - that would be what you want.

    Look through the menus some more.

    > "ray" ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ:
    > newsan.2007.01.18.23.20.11.882504@zianet.com...
    >> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:31:35 +0300, serge wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> excuse me for stupid question
    >>> but I somehow forgot howto to burn a iso image
    >>> to CD.
    >>>
    >>> I downloaded linux images and
    >>> in NERO chose "CD iso" and just
    >>> put the first iso file. That's it.
    >>>
    >>> the file was recorded but I couldn't boot
    >>> from it and start installation:-(((
    >>>
    >>> So What I do wrong ? How to burn a instalation iso image so that it
    >>> should
    >>> possible to boot from it?
    >>>

    >>> Thank you very much

    >> That should do it. I'd suggest mounting the CD (on an MS machine or
    >> anything else) and see if it has one file named whatever.iso or several
    >> files and directories. If the latter, then it has been created properly.
    >> You may need to get into you machines BIOS setup and enable booting from
    >> CD before the hard disk.

  8. Thanks to all

    Thank you very much
    I understood the problem:-)))
    "serge" / :
    > Hi
    >
    > excuse me for stupid question
    > but I somehow forgot howto to burn a iso image
    > to CD.
    >
    > I downloaded linux images and
    > in NERO chose "CD iso" and just
    > put the first iso file. That's it.
    >
    > the file was recorded but I couldn't boot
    > from it and start installation:-(((
    >
    > So What I do wrong ? How to burn a instalation iso image so that it should
    > possible to boot from it?
    >

    > Thank you very much

+ Reply to Thread