Linux SCSI USB Device letter? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Linux SCSI USB Device letter? - Hardware ; I have an external USB drive that is seen as a SCSI that i used for my backups. In the morning I connect it, and the evening i take it home. It has always been seen as sda and thus ...

  1. Linux SCSI USB Device letter?

    I have an external USB drive that is seen as a SCSI that i used for my
    backups. In the morning I connect it, and the evening i take it home.
    It has always been seen as sda and thus all my scripts point to sda...
    today it decided to allocate the drive on sdb.. what would cause such a
    small but annoying mid-addressing?
    thanks,
    Pat

  2. Re: Linux SCSI USB Device letter?

    pzaloum@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have an external USB drive that is seen as a SCSI that i used for my
    > backups. In the morning I connect it, and the evening i take it home.
    > It has always been seen as sda and thus all my scripts point to sda...
    > today it decided to allocate the drive on sdb.. what would cause such a
    > small but annoying mid-addressing?
    > thanks,
    > Pat

    Lots of things. Most likely, something happened last time you removed it,
    that makes it find it twice. Look at udev(7), the cure for all your
    troubles.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

  3. Re: Linux SCSI USB Device letter?

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:22:08 +0100, Lasse Jensen staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > pzaloum@gmail.com wrote:
    >> It has always been seen as sda and thus all my scripts point to
    >> sda... today it decided to allocate the drive on sdb.. what would
    >> cause such a small but annoying mis-addressing? thanks,

    > Lots of things. Most likely, something happened last time you removed
    > it, that makes it find it twice. Look at udev(7), the cure for all
    > your troubles.

    More specifically, see if you can use udev's advanced addressing
    capabilities. I have /dev/disk/by-uuid/ , containing several entries.
    UUIDs for filesystems that have them (ext23, Reiser, XFS, JFS, NTFS, and
    FAT... I think) can be much more reliable than direct nodes if you have
    a bunch of removable devices. Or you can look in /dev/disk/by-label/ ,
    though it is not mandatory that filesystems have a label, and 2
    filesystems can have the same label--which could cause confusion and
    stupidity. Ah well, HTH,

    --
    Quantum theory states that you have changed the actual contents of
    this message by observing it. Since you have changed it, we can't be

  4. Re: Linux SCSI USB Device letter?

    On 2007-01-15, pzaloum@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have an external USB drive that is seen as a SCSI that i used for my
    > backups. In the morning I connect it, and the evening i take it home.
    > It has always been seen as sda and thus all my scripts point to sda...
    > today it decided to allocate the drive on sdb.. what would cause such a
    > small but annoying mid-addressing?

    Another USB device connected before you connected the external drive?

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

+ Reply to Thread