External disk / FAT32 - Hardware

This is a discussion on External disk / FAT32 - Hardware ; Hi, I need help with an external USB harddisk. I want to format it with FAT32 to be able to share files with another operating system from the north-western part of the USA... Is it possible to make a FAT32 ...

  1. External disk / FAT32

    Hi,
    I need help with an external USB harddisk. I want to format it with
    FAT32 to be able to share files with another operating system from
    the north-western part of the USA...
    Is it possible to make a FAT32 filesystem under Linux (I'm using
    Kubuntu 6.10 and Debian stable, and I don't have access to a
    Windows or OS/2 machine), and if it is, how to do it? I made a
    single partition og 200 GB using cfdisk, but to format?

    Thanks for all help.

    Hans Poppe
    Oslo, Norway
    --
    *********************
    Failure is not an option!

  2. Re: External disk / FAT32

    Hans Poppe wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I need help with an external USB harddisk. I want to format it with
    > FAT32 to be able to share files with another operating system from
    > the north-western part of the USA...
    > Is it possible to make a FAT32 filesystem under Linux (I'm using
    > Kubuntu 6.10 and Debian stable, and I don't have access to a
    > Windows or OS/2 machine), and if it is, how to do it? I made a
    > single partition og 200 GB using cfdisk, but to format?
    >
    > Thanks for all help.
    >
    > Hans Poppe
    > Oslo, Norway

    Command line is easy, in cfdisk, there are about 124 different formats
    listed, or the GUI partitioner and formatter would be QTParted.
    (Included in most LiveCDs).

    Also, qtparted live booting distro is on http://livecdlist.com

    And:
    Insert almost any Linux install disc, and bring up the installer
    partitioner, and choose the partition, select the format type, hit the
    "Done" button when you are completed, and close it out, instead of
    installing the OS.

  3. Re: External disk / FAT32

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:09:55 -0500, Linuxiac staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Hans Poppe wrote:
    >> I need help with an external USB harddisk. I want to format it with
    >> FAT32. Is it possible to make a FAT32 filesystem under Linux? I
    >> made a single partition og 200 GB using cfdisk, but to [mkfs]?

    > Command line is easy, in cfdisk, there are about 124 different formats
    > listed, or the GUI partitioner and formatter would be QTParted.
    > (Included in most LiveCDs).

    I think the command Hans is looking for is mkdosfs. Create a partition
    of type 0x0c (FAT32 LBA) and mkdosfs -F32 /dev/nnn1 . NOTE: MS OSes
    will refuse to create FAT32 partitions that are over a certain size,
    probably 32G, and they may or may not refuse to work with large FAT32
    partitions. I don't know for sure.

    Also, the ntfs-3g module looks like it's pretty close to ready for prime
    time. Well, at least I haven't had writing to NTFS partitions upset the
    'DozeXP on my laptop. I'm just one person, though, and YMMV. HTH,

    --
    "Assembly of God". Haven't you ever wondered what goes on in a place
    like that? What kinds of parts does God need? --Slacquer

  4. Re: External disk / FAT32

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:09:55 -0500, Linuxiac staggered into the Black
    > Sun and said:
    >> Hans Poppe wrote:
    >>> I need help with an external USB harddisk. I want to format it with
    >>> FAT32. Is it possible to make a FAT32 filesystem under Linux? I
    >>> made a single partition og 200 GB using cfdisk, but to [mkfs]?

    >> Command line is easy, in cfdisk, there are about 124 different formats
    >> listed, or the GUI partitioner and formatter would be QTParted.
    >> (Included in most LiveCDs).

    > I think the command Hans is looking for is mkdosfs. Create a partition
    > of type 0x0c (FAT32 LBA) and mkdosfs -F32 /dev/nnn1 . NOTE: MS OSes
    > will refuse to create FAT32 partitions that are over a certain size,
    > probably 32G, and they may or may not refuse to work with large FAT32
    > partitions. I don't know for sure.
    >
    > Also, the ntfs-3g module looks like it's pretty close to ready for prime
    > time. Well, at least I haven't had writing to NTFS partitions upset the
    > 'DozeXP on my laptop. I'm just one person, though, and YMMV. HTH,

    I have tenatively used ntfs-3g to backup and restore my win2k partition.
    Also, I installed a windows driver named Ext2IFS_1_10c.exe that lets me
    read/write to my ext3 partitions. But if Hans insists on fat32 and has
    no winbox, then mkdosfs is the ticket.

  5. Re: External disk / FAT32

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:22:47 +0100, Hans Poppe wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I need help with an external USB harddisk. I want to format it with
    > FAT32 to be able to share files with another operating system from
    > the north-western part of the USA...
    > Is it possible to make a FAT32 filesystem under Linux (I'm using
    > Kubuntu 6.10 and Debian stable, and I don't have access to a
    > Windows or OS/2 machine), and if it is, how to do it? I made a
    > single partition og 200 GB using cfdisk, but to format?
    >
    > Thanks for all help.
    >
    > Hans Poppe
    > Oslo, Norway

    1) I thought that most USB external drives came formatted for MS.

    2) If you're going to share data with an (unmentionable) OS, why not
    format it there?

  6. Re: External disk / FAT32

    ray wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:22:47 +0100, Hans Poppe wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I need help with an external USB harddisk. I want to format it with
    >> FAT32 to be able to share files with another operating system from
    >> the north-western part of the USA...
    >> Is it possible to make a FAT32 filesystem under Linux (I'm using
    >> Kubuntu 6.10 and Debian stable, and I don't have access to a
    >> Windows or OS/2 machine), and if it is, how to do it? I made a
    >> single partition og 200 GB using cfdisk, but to format?
    >>
    >> Thanks for all help.
    >>
    >> Hans Poppe
    >> Oslo, Norway

    >1) I thought that most USB external drives came formatted for MS.

    I purchased an enclosure and drive separately and "built" one myself.
    I got it for a much better price that way.

    >2) If you're going to share data with an (unmentionable) OS, why not
    >format it there?

    I wanted to share the drive with Linux and MSWin ... MSWin limits a
    FAT32 partition to 32Gig ... I wanted half the drive for each OS ...
    so roughly 150Gig each.

    I used linux to partition and format both sides. So far no problems
    on numerous systems. Its a great solution actually.

    Maybe someday when NTFS is a little less "proprietary" I won't have to
    do this but for now it works great.

  7. Re: External disk / FAT32

    ray
    was of the opinion that:

    > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:22:47 +0100, Hans Poppe wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I need help with an external USB harddisk. I want to format it
    >> with FAT32 to be able to share files with another operating
    >> system from the north-western part of the USA...
    >> Is it possible to make a FAT32 filesystem under Linux (I'm using
    >> Kubuntu 6.10 and Debian stable, and I don't have access to a
    >> Windows or OS/2 machine), and if it is, how to do it? I made a
    >> single partition og 200 GB using cfdisk, but to format?
    >>
    >> Thanks for all help.
    >>
    >> Hans Poppe
    >> Oslo, Norway

    > 1) I thought that most USB external drives came formatted for MS.
    >
    > 2) If you're going to share data with an (unmentionable) OS, why
    > not format it there?

    The disk is HFS formattet (Macintosh), I'm giving it away, and I
    don't have a Windozs box available.
    Hans Poppe
    --
    *********************
    Failure is not an option!
    It comes bundled with Windows.

  8. Re: External disk / FAT32

    Dances With Crows
    was of the opinion that:

    > On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:09:55 -0500, Linuxiac staggered into the
    > Black Sun and said:
    >> Hans Poppe wrote:
    >>> I need help with an external USB harddisk. I want to format it
    >>> with
    >>> FAT32. Is it possible to make a FAT32 filesystem under Linux?
    >>> I made a single partition og 200 GB using cfdisk, but to
    >>> [mkfs]?

    >> Command line is easy, in cfdisk, there are about 124 different
    >> formats listed, or the GUI partitioner and formatter would be
    >> QTParted. (Included in most LiveCDs).

    > I think the command Hans is looking for is mkdosfs. Create a
    > partition
    > of type 0x0c (FAT32 LBA) and mkdosfs -F32 /dev/nnn1 . NOTE: MS
    > OSes will refuse to create FAT32 partitions that are over a
    > certain size, probably 32G, and they may or may not refuse to
    > work with large FAT32
    > partitions. I don't know for sure.
    >
    > Also, the ntfs-3g module looks like it's pretty close to ready
    > for prime
    > time. Well, at least I haven't had writing to NTFS partitions
    > upset the
    > 'DozeXP on my laptop. I'm just one person, though, and YMMV.
    > HTH,

    Thank you, that was just the command I was looking for!
    When searching Google, all I found was newsgroup postings saying
    that it's not possible to do under Linux, but they were old...
    Thanks again.

    Hans Poppe
    Oslo, Norway
    --