microprocessor and microcontroller - Hardware

This is a discussion on microprocessor and microcontroller - Hardware ; Hi Everyone, What is the exact difference between a microprocessor and a microcontroller, is it that microcontroller have a specific function? if so, i see microprocessor too are used in embedded system having a specific purpose like in Cars, Mobile ...

  1. microprocessor and microcontroller

    Hi Everyone,

    What is the exact difference between a microprocessor and a
    microcontroller, is it that microcontroller have a specific function?
    if so, i see microprocessor too are used in embedded system having a
    specific purpose like in Cars, Mobile phones etc. I also remember that
    assembly code for a microcontroller doesn't stop on execution unlike a
    microprocessor, is my understanding correct? Can anyone throw some
    light on it?

  2. Re: microprocessor and microcontroller

    On 14 Jan 2007 23:45:04 -0800, sam_cit@yahoo.co.in wrote:

    >Hi Everyone,
    >
    > What is the exact difference between a microprocessor and a
    >microcontroller, is it that microcontroller have a specific function?
    >if so, i see microprocessor too are used in embedded system having a
    >specific purpose like in Cars, Mobile phones etc. I also remember that
    >assembly code for a microcontroller doesn't stop on execution unlike a
    >microprocessor, is my understanding correct? Can anyone throw some
    >light on it?

    Microcontrollers (uC) can interface to hardware via built-in peripherals,
    whereas microprocessors require I/O interface chips. Another difference
    is that a uC may contain program and data memory in order to operate
    standalone, example PIC uC chips with EEPROM, RAM, I/O.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: microprocessor and microcontroller

    sam_cit@yahoo.co.in writes:

    > What is the exact difference between a microprocessor and a
    > microcontroller, is it that microcontroller have a specific function?
    > if so, i see microprocessor too are used in embedded system having a
    > specific purpose like in Cars, Mobile phones etc. I also remember that
    > assembly code for a microcontroller doesn't stop on execution unlike a
    > microprocessor, is my understanding correct? Can anyone throw some
    > light on it?

    There really isn't a hard-and-fast distinction. Back in the old days
    when most processors took more than one chip, a single-chip CPU was a
    microprocessor. A microcontroller is typically a microprocessor that
    also has onboard memory and peripherals, but it may just be a
    microprocessor that's being used as a controller.