AM2 with AGP and PCI-E? - Hardware

This is a discussion on AM2 with AGP and PCI-E? - Hardware ; I have recently begun looking for a new motherboard. I am fairly sure that what I want does not exist, but I thought it was worth confirming it: What I want is an AM2 motherboard, but with an AGP graphics ...

  1. AM2 with AGP and PCI-E?

    I have recently begun looking for a new motherboard. I am
    fairly sure that what I want does not exist, but I thought
    it was worth confirming it:

    What I want is an AM2 motherboard, but with an AGP graphics
    slot (because I do not really want another graphics card yet)
    and at least 2 PCI slots, but also with at least 1 PCI-E
    slot. I might even be willing to buy a Mini-ATX board,
    though I would guess that if anyone had made something like
    this, it would have been a full size ATX.

    I will check back for replies, but I doubt if there will
    be one. Thanks anyway.

  2. Re: AM2 with AGP and PCI-E?

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:17:57 -0500, jimomuraNOSPAM wrote:

    > I have recently begun looking for a new motherboard. I am
    > fairly sure that what I want does not exist, but I thought
    > it was worth confirming it:
    >
    > What I want is an AM2 motherboard, but with an AGP graphics
    > slot (because I do not really want another graphics card yet)
    > and at least 2 PCI slots, but also with at least 1 PCI-E
    > slot. I might even be willing to buy a Mini-ATX board,
    > though I would guess that if anyone had made something like
    > this, it would have been a full size ATX.
    >
    > I will check back for replies, but I doubt if there will
    > be one. Thanks anyway.

    I'd be surprised if you find one. When I bought my AM2 board, I looked
    for AGP but in the end I had to buy a new graphics card. It depends what
    you need, but my nvidia 6200 was very cheap.

    - Richard.
    --
    http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

  3. Re: AM2 with AGP and PCI-E?

    jimomuraNOSPAM@pathcom.com wrote:
    > I have recently begun looking for a new motherboard. I am
    > fairly sure that what I want does not exist, but I thought
    > it was worth confirming it:
    >
    > What I want is an AM2 motherboard, but with an AGP graphics
    > slot (because I do not really want another graphics card yet)
    > and at least 2 PCI slots, but also with at least 1 PCI-E
    > slot. I might even be willing to buy a Mini-ATX board,
    > though I would guess that if anyone had made something like
    > this, it would have been a full size ATX.

    Well the ASROCK DUAL family might work with the AM2 upgrade module
    http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-VSTA.htm
    http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm

    The CPU upgrade module:
    http://www.asrock.com/product/AM2CPU%20Board.htm

    Claude

  4. Re: AM2 with AGP and PCI-E?

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:41:40 -0500, Claude R Trepanier
    wrote:

    >jimomuraNOSPAM@pathcom.com wrote:

    .. . .

    >> What I want is an AM2 motherboard, but with an AGP graphics
    >> slot (because I do not really want another graphics card yet)
    >> and at least 2 PCI slots, but also with at least 1 PCI-E
    >> slot. I might even be willing to buy a Mini-ATX board,
    >> though I would guess that if anyone had made something like
    >> this, it would have been a full size ATX.

    >Well the ASROCK DUAL family might work with the AM2 upgrade module
    >http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-VSTA.htm.
    >http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm

    >The CPU upgrade module:
    >http://www.asrock.com/product/AM2CPU%20Board.htm

    I am surprised. I missed those completely. Then again, I
    was specifically avoiding Socket 939. I did not realize
    anyone had made an upgradeable Socket system. The
    specifications look good enough for my purposes. But
    has anyone actually tried these with the upgrade boards?

    Also, cost and availability will be an issue. I have not
    seen ASRock products around where I am (Toronto, Canada)
    and I will probably not try buying something that has to
    be sent by courier or mail.

  5. Re: AM2 with AGP and PCI-E?

    jimomuraNOSPAM@pathcom.com wrote:

    > I am surprised. I missed those completely. Then again, I
    > was specifically avoiding Socket 939. I did not realize
    > anyone had made an upgradeable Socket system. The
    > specifications look good enough for my purposes. But
    > has anyone actually tried these with the upgrade boards?

    Not with the AM2 upgrade; I did build my wife's machine
    last april with the 939Dual-SATA2 and it has been flawless
    with a 939 CPU.

    > Also, cost and availability will be an issue. I have not
    > seen ASRock products around where I am (Toronto, Canada)
    > and I will probably not try buying something that has to
    > be sent by courier or mail.

    Had any bad experiences ? I get most of my stuff either
    from tigerdirect.ca or ncix.com; I prefer ncix as they
    offer various shipping options while tigerdirect only
    uses UPS which has no local warehouses. I'm in Quebec
    away from the major centers.

    Claude.

+ Reply to Thread