framebuffer device: how can I make console stay on the booting VGAmonitor? - Hardware

This is a discussion on framebuffer device: how can I make console stay on the booting VGAmonitor? - Hardware ; Hello. I am a new framebuffer user, I have two VGA cards, BIOS boots from the first card, which is fine for me. Then I load the framebuffer device driver for the second card, and then, the system console swiched ...

  1. framebuffer device: how can I make console stay on the booting VGAmonitor?

    Hello. I am a new framebuffer user, I have two VGA cards, BIOS boots from
    the first card, which is fine for me. Then I load the framebuffer device
    driver for the second card, and then, the system console swiched from the
    first card to the second card which is initialized by the fb driver..

    However in my case I wish the system console *stays* on the first
    monitor/card. I have some special use for the second card I enabled
    framebuffer for. I wish to write an application that interact with user on
    the first card (no framebuffer) but produce related output on the second
    card (with framebuffer), my application cannot work if system console is
    switched to the second card.

    So, I'd like to hear you suggestions. (I know I explained too wordy, my
    English is bad I am afraid I wasn't clear.)

  2. Re: framebuffer device: how can I make console stay on the bootingVGA monitor?

    Zhang Weiwu wrote:
    > Hello. I am a new framebuffer user, I have two VGA cards, BIOS boots from
    > the first card, which is fine for me. Then I load the framebuffer device
    > driver for the second card, and then, the system console swiched from the
    > first card to the second card which is initialized by the fb driver..
    >
    > However in my case I wish the system console *stays* on the first
    > monitor/card. I have some special use for the second card I enabled
    > framebuffer for. I wish to write an application that interact with user on
    > the first card (no framebuffer) but produce related output on the second
    > card (with framebuffer), my application cannot work if system console is
    > switched to the second card.

    Do you have the FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE option set in your kernel's
    configuration file? If so, unset it. That option (which can also be
    built as the fbcon kernel module) is what tells your kernel to use the
    framebuffer for the console---which is not what you want, so turn off
    that option and/or prevent that kernel module from loading.

+ Reply to Thread