Good sound card for classical music? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Good sound card for classical music? - Hardware ; I just spent 100 dollars on a Creative XiFi ExtremeMusic sound card. It was a huge mistake, and I should have been more careful about that: It does not work in Linux. So which sound card is very good for ...

  1. Good sound card for classical music?

    I just spent 100 dollars on a Creative XiFi ExtremeMusic sound card. It
    was a huge mistake, and I should have been more careful about that: It
    does not work in Linux.

    So which sound card is very good for music listening and yet compatible
    with Linux? Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Good sound card for classical music?

    > So which sound card is very good for music listening and yet compatible
    > with Linux? Thanks in advance.

    http://alsa-project.org/

    http://alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

    Always check the alsa-project.org website for compatibility. But any card
    that has support in linux should be fine. Chances are your CD's are only
    at a 44100Hz range anyway. As long as you have decent speakers you should
    be fine. Although you might notice a big difference between playing back
    from a CD and from a file ripped from the CD. I know that on the few
    laptops I've had, there's a significant increase in available volume when
    playing from a file, even though the mixer level for the cd is
    higher than the pcm level.

    Now if you want extra features like 5.1 surround sound, SPDIF, actual
    onboard midi, midi with soundfonts, and such, you should cross reference
    with the alsa-project.org card matrix. Noting that things new aka less
    than six months old probably aren't supported unless it maintains a
    backwards compatibility to previous supported generations of similar cards.

    http://alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/ind...ve_Labs#matrix

    Yep, it looks like the Creative X-Fi is not supported. A card was
    provided for testing, but no datasheets for the new architecture was
    provided. So reverse engineering efforts are on hold due to lack of time.

    S7

  3. Re: Good sound card for classical music?

    Gvnaena Pura wrote:

    > I just spent 100 dollars on a Creative XiFi ExtremeMusic sound card. It
    > was a huge mistake, and I should have been more careful about that: It
    > does not work in Linux.
    >
    > So which sound card is very good for music listening and yet compatible
    > with Linux? Thanks in advance.

    AFAIK Creative Audigy 24 bit boards are supported in the latest versions.
    Somewhat older boards are better supported.

    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

+ Reply to Thread