USB 2.0 interface card options? - Hardware

This is a discussion on USB 2.0 interface card options? - Hardware ; Hi all, I'm looking at getting an external HDD for backup purposes, but I'll need to upgrade my USB to USB 2.0 for the sake of my sanity Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a ...

  1. USB 2.0 interface card options?

    Hi all,

    I'm looking at getting an external HDD for backup purposes, but I'll
    need to upgrade my USB to USB 2.0 for the sake of my sanity

    Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a PCI card with
    regards to compatibility or are all cards compatible with linux?
    TIA

  2. Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?

    Chris wrote:

    > Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a PCI card with
    > regards to compatibility or are all cards compatible with linux?

    No guarantees obviously, but I think it's safe enough to say you'd have
    be damned unlucky to find one that didn't "just work"

  3. Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?

    Andy Burns wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a PCI card with
    >> regards to compatibility or are all cards compatible with linux?

    > No guarantees obviously, but I think it's safe enough to say you'd
    > have be damned unlucky to find one that didn't "just work"

    OK. That's what I thought.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

  4. Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?

    Chris wrote:

    > Andy Burns wrote:
    >
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a PCI card with
    >>> regards to compatibility or are all cards compatible with linux?

    >> No guarantees obviously, but I think it's safe enough to say you'd
    >> have be damned unlucky to find one that didn't "just work"

    > OK. That's what I thought.
    > Thanks for the confirmation.

    FWIW, I bought five USB2 cards made by StarTech to upgrade my old boxen
    that run linux and win2k. The three that weren't DOA worked fine under
    Debian Sid. Replacements also worked.

  5. Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?

    On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:08:53 +0000, Chris wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking at getting an external HDD for backup purposes, but I'll
    > need to upgrade my USB to USB 2.0 for the sake of my sanity
    >
    > Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a PCI card with
    > regards to compatibility or are all cards compatible with linux?
    > TIA

    I fitted a Belkin "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 5 port PCI card" on Saturday. £20
    from PC World. The system recognised it, and I can download pics from my
    camera through it. It doesn't seem to be any faster than the ports on the
    mobo though, so some time this month I'm going to dig out the mobo manual,
    and see if *it's* USB 2 compatible. And if it isn't ... I've still got
    four more USB ports (one of the "five" is internal).

    --
    David Cowie

    Containment Failure + 27630:06

  6. Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?

    Roby wrote:
    > FWIW, I bought five USB2 cards made by StarTech to upgrade my old
    > boxen
    > that run linux and win2k. The three that weren't DOA worked fine
    > under
    > Debian Sid. Replacements also worked.

    It wasn't this model by any chance was it?
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3ZRC

  7. Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?

    Chris wrote:

    > Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?
    > From:
    > Chris **(University of Dundee)
    > Date:
    > Tuesday 09 January 2007 08:48:28
    > Groups:
    > comp.os.linux.hardware
    > Roby wrote:
    >> FWIW, I bought five USB2 cards made by StarTech to upgrade my old
    >> boxen
    >> that run linux and win2k. *The three that weren't DOA worked fine
    >> under
    >> Debian Sid. *Replacements also worked.

    > It wasn't this model by any chance was it?
    > http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3ZRC

    Well, not exactly. I bought the two-port version. There's a
    photo of a Chinese woman on the box. She is smiling. She is
    happy because StarTech is saving Big Yuan by moving quality
    control to the end-user. Those that worked from the beginning
    still work. These were low-cost cards ... I guess one can't
    be too picky. I bought mine locally: easy to exchange for ones
    that worked.

  8. Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?

    Chris wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking at getting an external HDD for backup purposes, but I'll
    > need to upgrade my USB to USB 2.0 for the sake of my sanity
    >
    > Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a PCI card with
    > regards to compatibility or are all cards compatible with linux?
    > TIA

    Be careful which usb enclosure you get. Something is fishy with mine:
    I got the ext3 partition corrupted once and recently the activity light
    stayed on after the system crashed last week.
    Nothing like needing a backup just to find out that your fs is screwed
    up.

  9. Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?

    On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:08:53 +0000, Chris wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking at getting an external HDD for backup purposes, but I'll
    > need to upgrade my USB to USB 2.0 for the sake of my sanity
    >
    > Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a PCI card with
    > regards to compatibility or are all cards compatible with linux?
    > TIA

    Last weekend I bought and fitted a "Hi-speed USB 2.0 5 port PCI
    card" made by Belkin (£20 from PC World). It seems to be working, but i'm
    a bit short of USB2 peripherals, so I haven't done a proper speed test.
    Does your motherboard manual say anything about being USB 2.0 compatible?

    --
    David Cowie

    Containment Failure + 27677:49

  10. Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?

    "Chris" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking at getting an external HDD for backup purposes, but I'll
    > need to upgrade my USB to USB 2.0 for the sake of my sanity
    >
    > Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a PCI card with
    > regards to compatibility or are all cards compatible with linux?
    > TIA

    I would also been interested as I am about to buy a "Titan USB2.0 PCI card"
    and would be interested to learn if anyone else is using the card under
    Linux.

    //Clive.

  11. Re: USB 2.0 interface card options?

    David Cowie wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:08:53 +0000, Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm looking at getting an external HDD for backup purposes, but I'll
    >> need to upgrade my USB to USB 2.0 for the sake of my sanity
    >>
    >> Is there anything I need to watch out for in buying a PCI card with
    >> regards to compatibility or are all cards compatible with linux?
    >> TIA

    > Last weekend I bought and fitted a "Hi-speed USB 2.0 5 port PCI
    > card" made by Belkin (20 from PC World). It seems to be working, but
    > i'm a bit short of USB2 peripherals, so I haven't done a proper speed
    > test. Does your motherboard manual say anything about being USB 2.0
    > compatible?

    The motherboard should be irrelevant wrt to a USB 2 PCI card. In linux
    you need make sure that you've got the ehci_hcd module loaded. AFAIK
    that's what allows hi-speed devices to work at their best.

+ Reply to Thread