Intel 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller hangs - Hardware

This is a discussion on Intel 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller hangs - Hardware ; Hi all! Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01) (PCI-X, dual port). Motherboard: Supermicro X6DH8-XB Kernel: 2.6.18.1 When connecting both ports on same ethernet controller one hangs and does not transfere packets. lspci prints it as ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Intel 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller hangs

  1. Intel 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller hangs

    Hi all!

    Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    (Copper) (rev 01) (PCI-X, dual port).
    Motherboard: Supermicro X6DH8-XB
    Kernel: 2.6.18.1

    When connecting both ports on same ethernet controller one hangs and does not
    transfere packets. lspci prints it as disabled:

    09:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation NC7170 Gigabit Server Adapter
    Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
    Status: Cap+ 66Mhz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- SERR- Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 26
    Region 0: Memory at dd840000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=128K]
    Region 2: Memory at dd800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=256K]
    Region 4: I/O ports at 5000 [disabled] [size=64]
    Expansion ROM at 50300000 [disabled] [size=256K]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
    Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
    Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=1 PME-
    Capabilities: [e4] Capabilities: [f0] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000

    Can anyone help? Thanks.

    --
    Dmitry Davletbaev

  2. Re: Intel 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller hangs

    Dmitry Davletbaev wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    > (Copper) (rev 01) (PCI-X, dual port).
    > Motherboard: Supermicro X6DH8-XB
    > Kernel: 2.6.18.1
    >
    > When connecting both ports on same ethernet controller one hangs and does not
    > transfere packets. lspci prints it as disabled:


    Have you checked the BIOS to see if it has been disabled there? Can you
    use this controller on its own? (IOW, does it only fail when you use
    both ports?) Are there a lot of devices sharing an IRQ or more than one
    trying to use the same I/O address? ('cat /proc/interrupts' and 'cat
    /proc/ioports' may help you to answer those questions.)

  3. Re: Intel 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller hangs

    On 2007-01-08, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > Dmitry Davletbaev wrote:
    >> Hi all!
    >>
    >> Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    >> (Copper) (rev 01) (PCI-X, dual port).
    >> Motherboard: Supermicro X6DH8-XB
    >> Kernel: 2.6.18.1
    >>
    >> When connecting both ports on same ethernet controller one hangs and does not
    >> transfere packets. lspci prints it as disabled:

    >
    > Have you checked the BIOS to see if it has been disabled there? Can you
    > use this controller on its own? (IOW, does it only fail when you use
    > both ports?)


    Yes it is enabled. In fact there are 4 such controllers on server. Behaviour is
    same on all controllers: when one of two ports is connected (1 Gbit) it works,
    but when second is connected with 1 Gbit transfere rate controller hangs and
    nothing helps, even module reloading. But when second port became connected with
    100 Mbit all is OK.

    > Are there a lot of devices sharing an IRQ or more than one
    > trying to use the same I/O address? ('cat /proc/interrupts' and 'cat
    > /proc/ioports' may help you to answer those questions.)


    root@server:~# cat /proc/interrupts
    CPU0 CPU1 CPU2 CPU3
    0: 23110620 201 199 200 IO-APIC-edge timer
    1: 825 0 1 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
    6: 2 0 1 0 IO-APIC-edge floppy
    8: 8 0 0 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
    9: 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
    12: 115 2 0 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
    14: 3264 2 3113410 3 IO-APIC-edge ide0
    16: 2627 506006618 46796 0 IO-APIC-level
    uhci_hcd:usb2,
    uhci_hcd:usb5, eth0,
    eth1
    17: 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-level
    uhci_hcd:usb4
    18: 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-level
    ehci_hcd:usb1
    19: 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-level
    uhci_hcd:usb3
    20: 6471465 0 377383 11667499 IO-APIC-level eth2
    21: 7605 0 1 5797851 IO-APIC-level eth3
    22: 243297 0 406283112 1 IO-APIC-level eth4
    24: 2241090 1 0 9529842 IO-APIC-level eth6
    25: 113363452 0 1 3432684 IO-APIC-level eth7
    26: 1895624 10826 513010 254270819 IO-APIC-level eth8
    27: 39122316 1 0 4513882 IO-APIC-level eth9
    NMI: 0 0 0 0
    LOC: 23111864 23111863 23111862 23111861
    ERR: 0
    MIS: 0

    eth2 through eth9 are 82546EB controller ports, eth5 is disabled. Not all of
    them use 1 Gbit now so they can work.

    root@server:~# cat /proc/ioports
    0000-001f : dma1
    0020-0021 : pic1
    0040-0043 : timer0
    0050-0053 : timer1
    0060-006f : keyboard
    0070-0077 : rtc
    0080-008f : dma page reg
    00a0-00a1 : pic2
    00c0-00df : dma2
    00f0-00ff : fpu
    01f0-01f7 : ide0
    02f8-02ff : serial
    03c0-03df : vga+
    03f2-03f5 : floppy
    03f6-03f6 : ide0
    03f7-03f7 : floppy DIR
    03f8-03ff : serial
    1000-107f : 0000:00:1f.0
    1000-107f : motherboard
    1000-1003 : ACPI PM1a_EVT_BLK
    1004-1005 : ACPI PM1a_CNT_BLK
    1008-100b : ACPI PM_TMR
    1020-1020 : ACPI PM2_CNT_BLK
    1028-102f : ACPI GPE0_BLK
    1100-111f : 0000:00:1f.3
    1180-11bf : 0000:00:1f.0
    1180-11bf : motherboard
    1400-141f : 0000:00:1d.0
    1400-141f : uhci_hcd
    1420-143f : 0000:00:1d.1
    1420-143f : uhci_hcd
    1440-145f : 0000:00:1d.2
    1440-145f : uhci_hcd
    1460-147f : 0000:00:1d.3
    1460-147f : uhci_hcd
    14a0-14af : 0000:00:1f.1
    14a0-14a7 : ide0
    14a8-14af : ide1
    2000-3fff : PCI Bus #01
    2000-2fff : PCI Bus #02
    2000-203f : 0000:02:03.0
    2000-203f : e1000
    2040-207f : 0000:02:03.1
    2040-207f : e1000
    3000-3fff : PCI Bus #03
    3000-303f : 0000:03:01.0
    3000-303f : e1000
    3040-307f : 0000:03:01.1
    3040-307f : e1000
    4000-5fff : PCI Bus #07
    4000-4fff : PCI Bus #08
    4000-403f : 0000:08:02.0
    4000-403f : e1000
    4040-407f : 0000:08:02.1
    4040-407f : e1000
    5000-5fff : PCI Bus #09
    5000-503f : 0000:09:01.0
    5000-503f : e1000
    5040-507f : 0000:09:01.1
    5040-507f : e1000
    6000-6fff : PCI Bus #0a
    6000-60ff : 0000:0a:01.0
    fe00-fe00 : motherboard

    I don't see more than one device trying to use same I/O address.

    Thank you John-Paul.

    --
    Dmitry Davletbaev

  4. Re: Intel 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller hangs

    Dmitry Davletbaev wrote:
    > On 2007-01-08, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    >> Dmitry Davletbaev wrote:
    >>> Hi all!
    >>>
    >>> Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    >>> (Copper) (rev 01) (PCI-X, dual port).
    >>> Motherboard: Supermicro X6DH8-XB
    >>> Kernel: 2.6.18.1
    >>>
    >>> When connecting both ports on same ethernet controller one hangs and does not
    >>> transfere packets. lspci prints it as disabled:

    >> Have you checked the BIOS to see if it has been disabled there? Can you
    >> use this controller on its own? (IOW, does it only fail when you use
    >> both ports?)

    >
    > Yes it is enabled. In fact there are 4 such controllers on server. Behaviour is
    > same on all controllers: when one of two ports is connected (1 Gbit) it works,
    > but when second is connected with 1 Gbit transfere rate controller hangs and
    > nothing helps, even module reloading. But when second port became connected with
    > 100 Mbit all is OK.


    Well, then, that rules out everything obvious...which means the problem
    is over my head. I have no idea what to suggest next.

    Have you tried contacting Intel support for help with the NICs?

  5. Re: Intel 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller hangs

    On 2007-01-09, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > Dmitry Davletbaev wrote:
    >> On 2007-01-08, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    >>> Dmitry Davletbaev wrote:
    >>>> Hi all!
    >>>>
    >>>> Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    >>>> (Copper) (rev 01) (PCI-X, dual port).
    >>>> Motherboard: Supermicro X6DH8-XB
    >>>> Kernel: 2.6.18.1
    >>>>
    >>>> When connecting both ports on same ethernet controller one hangs and does not
    >>>> transfere packets. lspci prints it as disabled:
    >>> Have you checked the BIOS to see if it has been disabled there? Can you
    >>> use this controller on its own? (IOW, does it only fail when you use
    >>> both ports?)

    >>
    >> Yes it is enabled. In fact there are 4 such controllers on server. Behaviour is
    >> same on all controllers: when one of two ports is connected (1 Gbit) it works,
    >> but when second is connected with 1 Gbit transfere rate controller hangs and
    >> nothing helps, even module reloading. But when second port became connected with
    >> 100 Mbit all is OK.

    >
    > Well, then, that rules out everything obvious...which means the problem
    > is over my head. I have no idea what to suggest next.
    >
    > Have you tried contacting Intel support for help with the NICs?


    Yes but they didn't respond. Seems like they don't care about their russian
    clients May be I should try to contact Supermicro support.

    --
    Dmitry Davletbaev

+ Reply to Thread