usb target mode - Hardware

This is a discussion on usb target mode - Hardware ; Hi all, I have recently made a digital picture frame, it runs linux, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to make the linux kernel enable the usb port as a device, ideally a usb mass storage, and then ...

  1. usb target mode

    Hi all,

    I have recently made a digital picture frame, it runs linux, and I was
    wondering if anyone knows how to make the linux kernel enable the usb
    port as a device, ideally a usb mass storage, and then enable access to
    the hard disk or an area of the hard disk via this method... I am using
    generic x86 hardware and would apreciate any help...

    Many Thanks

    Fouad

  2. Re: usb target mode

    Fouad.Sethna@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have recently made a digital picture frame, it runs linux, and I was
    > wondering if anyone knows how to make the linux kernel enable the usb
    > port as a device,

    That requires that the hardware support device mode, AFAIK. Most PCs
    only have USB host controllers (unless you have hardware intended for
    embedded devices which will have either device-class or dual-mode
    controllers).

    Have a look at /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/gadget/Kconfig for info about
    supported USB device-side controllers (assuming the kernel sources are
    installed in /usr/src/linux; adjust to suit).

    > ideally a usb mass storage, and then enable access to
    > the hard disk or an area of the hard disk via this method

    If you have a supported device-class USB interface, that's just a matter
    of enabling the USB_FILE_STORAGE kernel configuration option. Again,
    see the Kconfig file in the drivers/usb/gadget subdirectory of the
    kernel sources.

    > I am using generic x86 hardware and would apreciate any help...

    If you really do mean "generic", then chances are you're just out of
    luck. If, however, you're using a single board computer (SBC) intended
    for embedded devices that uses an x86 CPU, then you might have the
    necessary hardware.

+ Reply to Thread