Many CDs + Many Drives + Linux=Fast Ripping - Hardware

This is a discussion on Many CDs + Many Drives + Linux=Fast Ripping - Hardware ; Is there a way I could hook up 8CDROMS with Linux to be able to ripp Music CDs to my PC quickly. How would I connect 8, or some other number of CDs to a PC with only 2 IDE ...

  1. Many CDs + Many Drives + Linux=Fast Ripping

    Is there a way I could hook up 8CDROMS with Linux to be able to ripp Music
    CDs to my PC quickly.

    How would I connect 8, or some other number of CDs to a PC with only 2 IDE
    channels? USB? Additional IDE cards.

  2. Re: Many CDs + Many Drives + Linux=Fast Ripping

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 07:05:52 +0000, Dave wrote:

    > Is there a way I could hook up 8CDROMS with Linux to be able to ripp Music
    > CDs to my PC quickly.
    >
    > How would I connect 8, or some other number of CDs to a PC with only 2 IDE
    > channels? USB? Additional IDE cards.

    SCSI drives?

  3. Re: Many CDs + Many Drives + Linux=Fast Ripping

    Dave wrote:
    > Is there a way I could hook up 8CDROMS with Linux to be able to ripp Music
    > CDs to my PC quickly.
    >
    > How would I connect 8, or some other number of CDs to a PC with only 2 IDE
    > channels? USB? Additional IDE cards.

    No "good" way given your suggestions.

    I'd get a CDROM Tower... they usually come in sizes with 7 drives
    (I've seen some with 14).

    Then you just need a SCSI interface. Every CDROM drive will show
    up as a different scsi drive.

    I noticed there's a Smart and Friendly 14 drive unit on ebay
    currently.

    In general, the time has passed for this style of technology, so finding
    something new might be difficult. This may also affect the ripping
    speed per drive.

  4. Re: Many CDs + Many Drives + Linux=Fast Ripping

    "Chris Cox" wrote in message
    > Dave wrote:
    >> Is there a way I could hook up 8CDROMS with Linux to be able to ripp
    >> Music
    >> CDs to my PC quickly.
    >>
    >> How would I connect 8, or some other number of CDs to a PC with only 2
    >> IDE
    >> channels? USB? Additional IDE cards.

    > No "good" way given your suggestions.
    >
    > I'd get a CDROM Tower... they usually come in sizes with 7 drives
    > (I've seen some with 14).
    >
    > Then you just need a SCSI interface. Every CDROM drive will show
    > up as a different scsi drive.
    >
    > I noticed there's a Smart and Friendly 14 drive unit on ebay
    > currently.
    >
    > In general, the time has passed for this style of technology, so finding
    > something new might be difficult. This may also affect the ripping
    > speed per drive.

    Thanks for the input. I only have access to IDE CDROMs though.

  5. Re: Many CDs + Many Drives + Linux=Fast Ripping

    Dave wrote:

    > Thanks for the input. I only have access to IDE CDROMs though.

    I have 6 sata connectors on my core duo mobo. Plextor 755SA was
    expensive
    though and I don't like it at all. There should be cheap liteon sata
    drives around,
    but I could not find any.

  6. Re: Many CDs + Many Drives + Linux=Fast Ripping

    Dave wrote:

    > Is there a way I could hook up 8CDROMS with Linux to be able to ripp Music
    > CDs to my PC quickly.
    >
    > How would I connect 8, or some other number of CDs to a PC with only 2 IDE
    > channels? USB? Additional IDE cards.

    Try having an 8 port SATA controller specifically for the CD's.
    Don't know if they exist, but you can allways use 2 4-port ones.

    --
    Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
    (von Braun)

  7. Re: Many CDs + Many Drives + Linux=Fast Ripping

    Dave wrote:

    > "Chris Cox" wrote in message
    >> No "good" way given your suggestions.
    >>
    >> I'd get a CDROM Tower... they usually come in sizes with 7 drives
    >> (I've seen some with 14).
    >>
    >> Then you just need a SCSI interface. Every CDROM drive will show
    >> up as a different scsi drive.
    >>

    > Thanks for the input. I only have access to IDE CDROMs though.

    The problem with IDE is that although each channel can share two devices
    as a master/slave pair, performance is woeful if both are being used at
    the same time.

    To get the best performance you'll have to limit yourself to one device
    per channel which will halve your theoretical number of connections. So
    for eight drives you'll need eight channels - you may not have enough
    room for all the extra PCI cards, plus you will probably saturate the
    PCI bus

    Eight is probably OTT for a simple desktop machine, stick to 2-4 and you
    should be OK.

+ Reply to Thread