power off on shutdown for hp pavilion 6355? - Hardware

This is a discussion on power off on shutdown for hp pavilion 6355? - Hardware ; Hi, is there any way to get this model to completely power off on shutdown? I am running Debian Sid. Thanks, Fred...

  1. power off on shutdown for hp pavilion 6355?

    Hi, is there any way to get this model to completely power off on
    shutdown? I am running Debian Sid. Thanks, Fred

  2. Re: power off on shutdown for hp pavilion 6355?

    f_red_bergen@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi, is there any way to get this model to completely power off on
    > shutdown?

    Does it support APM or ACPI? (That's ACPI, *not* APIC. They're very
    different but confusingly named things.) Have you run Windows on this
    machine and if so, was it able to power down the machine?

    You need one or the other in order to power off a machine through software.

  3. Re: power off on shutdown for hp pavilion 6355?

    John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > Does it support APM or ACPI? (That's ACPI, *not* APIC. They're very
    > different but confusingly named things.) Have you run Windows on this
    > machine and if so, was it able to power down the machine?
    >
    > You need one or the other in order to power off a machine through software.

    On your first question: I don't know, how do I find out? But Windows 98
    completely turned off the computer on "shut down". Thanks for your help.

  4. Re: power off on shutdown for hp pavilion 6355?

    f_red_bergen@yahoo.com wrote:
    > John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    >> Does it support APM or ACPI? (That's ACPI, *not* APIC. They're very
    >> different but confusingly named things.) Have you run Windows on this
    >> machine and if so, was it able to power down the machine?
    >>
    >> You need one or the other in order to power off a machine through software.

    > On your first question: I don't know, how do I find out? But Windows 98
    > completely turned off the computer on "shut down".

    The fact that Windows 98 can do the shutdown is sufficient to answer the
    first question. (Windows is using either APM or ACPI to do it, so at
    least one of them must be supported by your hardware.)

    What does 'zgrep ACPI /proc/config.gz' show? In particular, is
    CONFIG_ACPI_POWER set to "y" or "m"? It should be "y". If it set to
    "m", that indicates it is a kernel module which could be problematic in
    this situation.

    If you're using LILO, you might want to add

    append="acpi=poweroff"

    to /etc/lilo.conf (or add just "acpi=poweroff" to an existing append
    line, if you already have one). See the lilo.conf man page if you need
    more info about editing that file. If you're using Grub instead of
    LILO, there must be a similar way to pass kernel parameters. Consult
    the Grub documentation.

  5. Re: power off on shutdown for hp pavilion 6355?

    John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    > What does 'zgrep ACPI /proc/config.gz' show? In particular, is
    > CONFIG_ACPI_POWER set to "y" or "m"? It should be "y". If it set to
    > "m", that indicates it is a kernel module which could be problematic in
    > this situation.
    >
    > If you're using LILO, you might want to add
    >
    > append="acpi=poweroff"
    >
    > to /etc/lilo.conf (or add just "acpi=poweroff" to an existing append
    > line, if you already have one). See the lilo.conf man page if you need
    > more info about editing that file. If you're using Grub instead of
    > LILO, there must be a similar way to pass kernel parameters. Consult
    > the Grub documentation.

    Thanks for your help so far. There is no file /proc/config.gz , even if
    I make sure the acpi module is loaded by adding it to /etc/modules .
    But if I load the apm module instead, there is a file /proc/apm which
    contains the single line:

    1.16ac 1.2 0x03 0x01 0xff 0x80 -1% -1 ?

    (the question mark is in the file, not my comment!!)

    I don't know what any of this means and there doesn't seem to be a man
    page on it.

    Anyway, whatever that all means, on shutdown with the apm module
    loaded, it still doesn't work. The system is halted and very quiet, but
    the LED on the front is on, and the monitor still displaying the
    shutdown messages and a blinking cursor. Is there some argument I need
    to give to the apm module?

    Thanks again for your help with this little annoyance.

  6. Re: power off on shutdown for hp pavilion 6355?

    f_red_bergen@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Anyway, whatever that all means, on shutdown with the apm module
    > loaded, it still doesn't work.

    I'm not sure off-hand if the init scripts unload modules at shutdown
    time or not. (I personally prefer power management built-in to the
    kernel instead.) I'm fairly sure, though, that the scripts are smart
    enough not to unload the power management modules. But....

    > The system is halted and very quiet, but
    > the LED on the front is on, and the monitor still displaying the
    > shutdown messages and a blinking cursor. Is there some argument I need
    > to give to the apm module?

    Just to be sure, how do you halt the system? You need to use one of:

    shutdown -h -P ...
    halt -p
    poweroff

    to instruct the kernel to actually power off. (And, of course, this
    requires that the APM module be loaded.) Other methods won't
    necessarily even try to shut off the power.

    > Thanks again for your help with this little annoyance.

    I doubt I'm being much help, here. It's been a loooong time since I had
    to go through this myself.

+ Reply to Thread