TV card - Hardware

This is a discussion on TV card - Hardware ; Hello, I need to recording two TV channels at the same time. I am searching or a TV card with two tuners or two boards that works at the same time into a PC. It is not important if the ...

  1. TV card

    Hello,
    I need to recording two TV channels at the same time.
    I am searching or a TV card with two tuners or two boards that works at
    the same time into a PC.
    It is not important if the board is for analog or digital TV, but I
    want a board that transfer the data on H/D without any elaboration, like
    compression.
    Thank you.
    Giulio

  2. Re: TV card

    Giulio wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I need to recording two TV channels at the same time.
    > I am searching or a TV card with two tuners or two boards that works at
    > the same time into a PC.
    > It is not important if the board is for analog or digital TV, but I
    > want a board that transfer the data on H/D without any elaboration, like
    > compression.
    > Thank you.
    > Giulio

    Hi

    Generally any two boards will work at the same time under Linux.

    Digital terrestial (DVB-T) will give you a pre-compressed data stream ideal
    for recording to disk, but you may need to uprate your aeriel and/or
    cabling to aeriel as signal reception is fussier. MythTV works with
    multiple tuners.

    I use a Nova-T PCI card and I've seen PCs with 3 such cards fitted
    (warning - several chipsets over various revisions, I got an older one off
    ebay which works well).

    HTH

    Tim

  3. Re: TV card

    Thank you
    > Digital terrestial (DVB-T) will give you a pre-compressed data stream ideal
    > for recording to disk,

    I do not watch a television, I am designing a passive RADAR
    I need to transfer to H/D the digitalised channel without any elaboration.

    Ciao

  4. Re: TV card

    giulio wrote:

    > Thank you
    >> Digital terrestial (DVB-T) will give you a pre-compressed data stream
    >> ideal for recording to disk,

    > I do not watch a television, I am designing a passive RADAR
    > I need to transfer to H/D the digitalised channel without any elaboration.

    Now that is an interesting problem. You can probably get what you asked
    for with a dual tuner card. There is more information at linuxtv.org,
    there is also a developers' mailing list.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  5. Re: TV card

    Giulio wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I need to recording two TV channels at the same time.
    > I am searching or a TV card with two tuners or two boards that works at
    > the same time into a PC.

    Hauppauge PVR-500:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...pvr500mce.html

    Linux driver:
    http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page

    The Hauppauge cards do hardware MPEG compression.

    > It is not important if the board is for analog or digital TV, but I
    > want a board that transfer the data on H/D without any elaboration, like
    > compression.

    That's going to be HUGE. You sure you don't want MPEG compression? I
    use PVR-250 cards (single channel, but same thing as PVR-500 otherwise)
    and 1 hour of Standard Def TV is 3.3 GB as an MPEG compressed file.

    If you really want uncompressed there are many "frame grabber" cards out
    there, they normally use a driver to do the compression, which means
    lots of CPU cycles. But I think you can bypass that and write the raw
    video to disk. This will take a VERY LARGE disk system for anything
    more than short recordings...

  6. Re: TV card

    giulio wrote:
    >> Digital terrestial (DVB-T) will give you a pre-compressed data stream
    >> ideal for recording to disk,

    > I do not watch a television, I am designing a passive RADAR I need to
    > transfer to H/D the digitalised channel without any elaboration.

    If you are designing your own system you should probably know what kind of
    output it gives. Then you should also know what kind of input your TV card
    should be able to take. There are different kind of inputs for TV cards or
    frame grabbers.

    One easy way to grab digital video sequences is by firewire, usually from
    something like a DV cam. However this is not a TV card and you are not
    able to capture TV broadcast by only using firewire.

    Most framegrabbers are able to use composite video signal for input. Some
    framegrabbers are also able to use S-video for input which gives a little
    better image quality. The composite or S-video input can be connected to
    something like a VCR or a DVD player, maybe by using a SCART cable.

    TV cards usually have RF input which should be connected to the antenna.
    Analog TV cards usually also have composite and/or S-video input, but
    digital TV cards for DVB usually don't have composite input. The cards
    have tuners to get video signals out of the RF signals, but analog and
    digital cards are completely different. My guess is that it is important
    for you if you get an analog or a digital TV card. If you don't want
    compression you will not be able to use a digital DVB card.

    If you are designing som kind of radar, maybe you should be looking for
    some kind of data accusation board instead?

    regards Henrik
    hc8(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    root@variousus.net root@localhost

  7. Re: TV card

    giulio wrote:

    > Thank you
    >> Digital terrestial (DVB-T) will give you a pre-compressed data stream
    >> ideal for recording to disk,

    > I do not watch a television, I am designing a passive RADAR
    > I need to transfer to H/D the digitalised channel without any elaboration.
    >
    > Ciao

    Right - so you really just want a framegrabber.

    What type of input signal do you require - eg is composite video OK?

    Cheers

    Tim

  8. Re: TV card

    > Right - so you really just want a framegrabber.
    >
    > What type of input signal do you require - eg is composite video OK?

    I need acquire a two TV signals, one is from the TV tower and the
    other one is the reflect signal from the grubber.
    Two tuner syntonized on the same signal.

    Ciao

  9. Re: TV card

    > f There is more information at linuxtv.org,
    > there is also a developers' mailing list.

    Tank you

    Ciao

  10. Re: TV card

    giulio wrote:

    >> Right - so you really just want a framegrabber.
    >>
    >> What type of input signal do you require - eg is composite video OK?
    >>

    > I need acquire a two TV signals, one is from the TV tower and the
    > other one is the reflect signal from the grubber.
    > Two tuner syntonized on the same signal.

    So both signals are UHF, PAL encoded?

    Pretty much any cheap analogue TV card with linux support should do and a
    pair will work fine.

    Have a look for cards sporting the Brooktree bt848 and bt878 framegrabbers,

    See here for more info:

    http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/bttv.html

    Purist engineering friends of mine don't think much of the Brooktree chips
    from a super high quaility POV but they may (or not) be adequate for your
    application. But they are cheap, well supported and available.

    HTH

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread