Pre-install Centos 4.4 on seperate SATA drive? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Pre-install Centos 4.4 on seperate SATA drive? - Hardware ; I am trying to solve the problem of how to install Centos 4.4 on a SATA drive. If I just try and install from the downloaded cd's the drive isn't recognized. I managed to compile a kernel that has SATA ...

  1. Pre-install Centos 4.4 on seperate SATA drive?

    I am trying to solve the problem of how to install Centos 4.4 on a SATA
    drive. If I just try and install from the downloaded cd's the drive
    isn't recognized.

    I managed to compile a kernel that has SATA support enabled and replace
    the kernel from a Centos 4.4 install on a conventional IDE drive with
    this new kernel. In the same machine I have an install of Fedora Cores
    6 on the SATA drive. (FC6 seems to have SATA enabled in the default
    kernel). If I boot from the IDE drive, I start to see the CentOS
    'splash' as the kernel from the IDE drive starts up, the boot then
    completes from the SATA drive and I have Fedora Core 6 running with the
    new Centos Kernel!

    It seems that as soon as the SATA drive is recognized, the IDE drive
    drive drops off-line....

    Is there a way that I can install Centos 4.4 on a second SATA drive in
    the same box from a Fedora Core 6 install on the other (SATA) drive?
    It seems that if I wanted to build a batch of servers with the same
    hardware for any reason it might be handy to do something like this
    anyway? I could then add the new kernel 'manually' having booted with
    Fedora Core 6.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Kind regards,

    Mark.

  2. Re: Pre-install Centos 4.4 on seperate SATA drive?

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 07:47:47 -0800, ChangeItAgain@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I am trying to solve the problem of how to install Centos 4.4 on a SATA
    > drive. If I just try and install from the downloaded cd's the drive isn't
    > recognized.

    If I remember correctly, there is no "SATA" standard from the software
    side. That is, drivers are hardware-specific.

    This makes sense as I regularly install CentOS 4u4 (and numerous previous
    versions) on systems with only SATA drives. Apparently, the hardware I'm
    using is supported by the CentOS distribution while the hardware you're
    using is not.

    Even in what works for me, there are differences. For example, on the
    supermicro motherboards I cannot use dmraid. On another hardware family
    (I don't recall which off the top of my head; perhaps ASUS?), dmraid is
    supported.

    > Is there a way that I can install Centos 4.4 on a second SATA drive in
    > the same box from a Fedora Core 6 install on the other (SATA) drive?

    If you're using a BIOS that can boot from either drive, this should be
    easy. It's probably not too much more difficult even w/o this, as GRUB on
    the bootable drive can be told about the kernel image on the other drive.

    Remember: You can even dual-boot a system with a single drive. This is
    just a variation of that.

    > It
    > seems that if I wanted to build a batch of servers with the same
    > hardware for any reason it might be handy to do something like this
    > anyway?

    I prefer PXE based installs for this. Installing a new machine is a
    matter of making the necessary BIOS tweaks (enabling network booting,
    enabling the serial console, etc.) and then booting the machine on a VLAN
    with the necessary DHCP/TFTP/HTTP (NFS also works in place of
    HTTP) services available.

    - Andrew

  3. Re: Pre-install Centos 4.4 on seperate SATA drive?

    ChangeItAgain@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I am trying to solve the problem of how to install Centos 4.4 on a SATA
    > drive. If I just try and install from the downloaded cd's the drive
    > isn't recognized.

    [putolin]

    When you try to install CENTOS 4.4 try this at the boot: prompt
    linux all-generic-ide

    It worked for me on my Dell notebook.

    That may work for you. From what I have been able to find out there are
    problems when you have both PATA and SATA drives on the same PC, or so I a,
    told. YMMV

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  4. Re: Pre-install Centos 4.4 on seperate SATA drive?

    On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, ChangeItAgain@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I am trying to solve the problem of how to install Centos 4.4 on a SATA
    > drive. If I just try and install from the downloaded cd's the drive
    > isn't recognized.

    You may be able to do one of the following:
    1. In the BIOS, configure the SATA controller to "legacy mode". This will
    make it more likely that the controller will be recognised by the
    installer. Once you have installed it, you can build a kernel that
    supports your SATA controller and re-configure the BIOS (since legacy
    mode will give poor performance).

    2. Use a driver disk. You need to see if the manufacturer of the SATA
    controller offers a driver disk for the Centos (or equivalent RH
    distro) that you are using. Note that it must match the kernel version
    exactly.

    3. Install on an IDE drive, build a kernel that supports your SATA, copy
    everything over, install grub on the sata drive and change the
    references in /etc from /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX (including /etc/grub.conf)

    4. It may be possible for you to build your own driver disk. This is more
    of a challenge since it requires that you compile the driver for the
    SATA controller in the same kernel version as is on the installer disk.

+ Reply to Thread