New version of sys_basher, a multithreaded system exerciser andbenchmarking tool - Hardware

This is a discussion on New version of sys_basher, a multithreaded system exerciser andbenchmarking tool - Hardware ; I've just put a new version of sys_basher on the web, http://www.polybus.com/sys_basher_web/ sys_basher is a multithreaded system exerciser and benchmarking tool. It run's extensive memory and I/O diagnostics as well as floating point tests. I wrote it because there didn't ...

  1. New version of sys_basher, a multithreaded system exerciser andbenchmarking tool

    I've just put a new version of sys_basher on the web,

    http://www.polybus.com/sys_basher_web/

    sys_basher is a multithreaded system exerciser and benchmarking tool. It
    run's extensive memory and I/O diagnostics as well as floating point
    tests. I wrote it because there didn't seem to be a good way test the
    stability of my new Core2 system. Memtest86+ hasn't been updated for over
    a year so it doesn't have any support for Core2 systems. Also it's single
    threaded so it doesn't stress modern multicore processors.

    sys_basher runs under Linux so it can run on any system that Linux runs
    on. It uses pthreads to run from 1 to 256 simultaneous threads. In
    addition to running memory tests (at the maximum possible speed), it also
    runs disk tests to stress the I/O system, and floating point array
    processing to stress the CPU.

    I've run sys_basher on a Core2 Duo. Athlon 64 X2, dual Xeon, and two single
    core Athlon 64 systems using Fedora Core(s) 4,5 and 6 in both 32 and 64
    bit modes. It's straight POSIX C so it should be able to compile and run
    on any *nix system.

    sys_basher is free and open source, it's licensed under the BSD.

  2. Re: New version of sys_basher, a multithreaded system exerciser and benchmarking tool

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > I've just put a new version of sys_basher on the web,
    >
    > http://www.polybus.com/sys_basher_web/

    [snip]
    > I've run sys_basher on a Core2 Duo. Athlon 64 X2, dual Xeon, and two
    > single core Athlon 64 systems using Fedora Core(s) 4,5 and 6 in both 32
    > and 64 bit modes. It's straight POSIX C so it should be able to compile
    > and run on any *nix system.

    [snip]
    I'm using Mandriva 2007 on an Athalon 64 x2 with smp disabled.

    Do you want any feedback?

    Here are some snippets of output...

    Total RAM: 514732K
    Free RAM: 96500K
    Total Swap: 1534168K
    Free Swap: 1533952K

    could that be reformatted like this?

    Total RAM: 514 732K
    Free RAM: 96 500K
    Total Swap: 1 534 168K
    Free Swap: 1 533 952K

    Or this?

    Total RAM: 514,732K
    Free RAM: 96,500K
    Total Swap: 1,534,168K
    Free Swap: 1,533,952K

    Another snippet of output...

    Error Status
    Array Size Add Mpy Div Sum of Products
    1KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    4KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    16KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    64KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    256KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    1MB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    4MB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    16MB PASS PASS PASS FAIL
    fp error

    Have you got any suggestions about how to pursue that "FAIL"?

    Thank you.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: New version of sys_basher, a multithreaded system exerciser andbenchmarking tool

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 12:10:09 +1100, Peter D. wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >
    >> I've just put a new version of sys_basher on the web,
    >>
    >> http://www.polybus.com/sys_basher_web/

    > [snip]
    >> I've run sys_basher on a Core2 Duo. Athlon 64 X2, dual Xeon, and two
    >> single core Athlon 64 systems using Fedora Core(s) 4,5 and 6 in both 32
    >> and 64 bit modes. It's straight POSIX C so it should be able to compile
    >> and run on any *nix system.

    > [snip]
    > I'm using Mandriva 2007 on an Athalon 64 x2 with smp disabled.
    >
    > Do you want any feedback?
    >
    > Here are some snippets of output...
    >
    > Total RAM: 514732K
    > Free RAM: 96500K
    > Total Swap: 1534168K
    > Free Swap: 1533952K
    >
    > could that be reformatted like this?
    >
    > Total RAM: 514 732K
    > Free RAM: 96 500K
    > Total Swap: 1 534 168K
    > Free Swap: 1 533 952K
    >
    > Or this?
    >
    > Total RAM: 514,732K
    > Free RAM: 96,500K
    > Total Swap: 1,534,168K
    > Free Swap: 1,533,952K

    That's a reasonable suggestion, I'll add it to the next rev.

    > Another snippet of output...
    >
    > Error Status
    > Array Size Add Mpy Div Sum of Products
    > 1KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 4KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 16KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 64KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 256KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 1MB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 4MB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 16MB PASS PASS PASS FAIL
    > fp error
    >
    > Have you got any suggestions about how to pursue that "FAIL"?

    Does this failure happen consistently? Did any of the memory tests
    fail?

    The way the floating point tests work is by doing the same
    calculation twice, once entirely in registers and once where the operands
    are fetched from memory. The program is brand new so I'm not 100%
    confident that there aren't potential compiler issues, however it seems
    unlikely because the test passed for every case except the last. Your CPU
    will be getting hotter and hotter as it runs these tests so if you have a
    cooling problem this is the kind of result that you would expect. Please
    try the following experiment, set the scaling frequency to the lowest
    value and rerun the test. I don't know if Mandriva has the CPU Frequency
    Scaling Monitor applet, if it does you can use that the frequency down. If
    it doesn't it can be done by writing the following files,

    echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

    The number that you put into scaling_setspeed has to be equal to or less
    than the lowest number in

    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

    > Thank you.

  4. Re: New version of sys_basher, a multithreaded system exerciser andbenchmarking tool

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 12:10:09 +1100, Peter D. wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >
    >> I've just put a new version of sys_basher on the web,
    >>
    >> http://www.polybus.com/sys_basher_web/

    > [snip]
    >> I've run sys_basher on a Core2 Duo. Athlon 64 X2, dual Xeon, and two
    >> single core Athlon 64 systems using Fedora Core(s) 4,5 and 6 in both 32
    >> and 64 bit modes. It's straight POSIX C so it should be able to compile
    >> and run on any *nix system.

    > [snip]
    > I'm using Mandriva 2007 on an Athalon 64 x2 with smp disabled.
    >
    > Do you want any feedback?
    >
    > Here are some snippets of output...
    >
    > Total RAM: 514732K
    > Free RAM: 96500K
    > Total Swap: 1534168K
    > Free Swap: 1533952K
    >
    > could that be reformatted like this?
    >
    > Total RAM: 514 732K
    > Free RAM: 96 500K
    > Total Swap: 1 534 168K
    > Free Swap: 1 533 952K
    >
    > Or this?
    >
    > Total RAM: 514,732K
    > Free RAM: 96,500K
    > Total Swap: 1,534,168K
    > Free Swap: 1,533,952K
    >

    > Another snippet of output...
    >
    > Error Status
    > Array Size Add Mpy Div Sum of Products
    > 1KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 4KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 16KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 64KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 256KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 1MB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 4MB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 16MB PASS PASS PASS FAIL
    > fp error
    >
    > Have you got any suggestions about how to pursue that "FAIL"?
    >
    > Thank you.

    I was able to get the same error, I'll post a new rev tomorrow.

  5. Re: New version of sys_basher, a multithreaded system exerciser and benchmarking tool

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 12:10:09 +1100, Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    [snip]
    >> Total RAM: 514,732K
    >> Free RAM: 96,500K
    >> Total Swap: 1,534,168K
    >> Free Swap: 1,533,952K

    > That's a reasonable suggestion, I'll add it to the next rev.

    Ahh good. It is substantially a mater of personal preference, but it
    is my preference. ;-) Here is a snippet from my .bashrc file which
    might be relevant.

    ,----[ /home/psd/.bashrc ]

    `----

    >> Another snippet of output...
    >>
    >> Error Status
    >> Array Size Add Mpy Div Sum of Products
    >> 1KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    >> 4KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    >> 16KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    >> 64KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    >> 256KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    >> 1MB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    >> 4MB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    >> 16MB PASS PASS PASS FAIL
    >> fp error
    >>
    >> Have you got any suggestions about how to pursue that "FAIL"?

    > Does this failure happen consistently? Did any of the memory tests
    > fail?

    I was assuming that your code was good and that I have hardware/firmware
    problems. I do have stability problems here.

    I've only just started playing with /sys_basher/, memtest does not
    report any problems. Your other post indicates there might be a problem
    in the code, but that does not rule out an ASUS problem as well. :-(

    > The way the floating point tests work is by doing the same
    > calculation twice, once entirely in registers and once where the operands
    > are fetched from memory. The program is brand new so I'm not 100%
    > confident that there aren't potential compiler issues, however it seems
    > unlikely because the test passed for every case except the last. Your CPU
    > will be getting hotter and hotter as it runs these tests so if you have a
    > cooling problem this is the kind of result that you would expect.

    I'm already under clocking the memory and the processor and only using
    one of the cores.

    > Please
    > try the following experiment, set the scaling frequency to the lowest
    > value and rerun the test. I don't know if Mandriva has the CPU Frequency
    > Scaling Monitor applet, if it does you can use that the frequency down.

    Haven't seen it, but I haven't looked for it. What is it called?

    > If
    > it doesn't it can be done by writing the following files,
    >

    > echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    > echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    > echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    > echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    >
    > The number that you put into scaling_setspeed has to be equal to or less
    > than the lowest number in
    >
    > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

    No such files on my system.

    ->pwd; ls -al
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 2 18:07 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jan 2 18:07 ../
    -r-------- 1 root root 4,096 Jan 2 18:07 crash_notes

    Should I recompile the kernel?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  6. Re: New version of sys_basher, a multithreaded system exerciser andbenchmarking tool

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 12:10:09 +1100, Peter D. wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >
    >> I've just put a new version of sys_basher on the web,
    >>
    >> http://www.polybus.com/sys_basher_web/

    > [snip]
    >> I've run sys_basher on a Core2 Duo. Athlon 64 X2, dual Xeon, and two
    >> single core Athlon 64 systems using Fedora Core(s) 4,5 and 6 in both 32
    >> and 64 bit modes. It's straight POSIX C so it should be able to compile
    >> and run on any *nix system.

    > [snip]
    > I'm using Mandriva 2007 on an Athalon 64 x2 with smp disabled.
    >
    > Do you want any feedback?
    >
    > Here are some snippets of output...
    >
    > Total RAM: 514732K
    > Free RAM: 96500K
    > Total Swap: 1534168K
    > Free Swap: 1533952K
    >
    > could that be reformatted like this?
    >
    > Total RAM: 514 732K
    > Free RAM: 96 500K
    > Total Swap: 1 534 168K
    > Free Swap: 1 533 952K
    >
    > Or this?
    >
    > Total RAM: 514,732K
    > Free RAM: 96,500K
    > Total Swap: 1,534,168K
    > Free Swap: 1,533,952K
    >

    > Another snippet of output...
    >
    > Error Status
    > Array Size Add Mpy Div Sum of Products
    > 1KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 4KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 16KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 64KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 256KB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 1MB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 4MB PASS PASS PASS PASS
    > 16MB PASS PASS PASS FAIL
    > fp error
    >
    > Have you got any suggestions about how to pursue that "FAIL"?
    >
    > Thank you.

    I've fixed the problem with the sum of products test. The new rev is
    1.0.4, please give it a try. I'm seeing some failures in the Disk tests
    which I think are code problems, for now you should ignore any failures in
    the disk tests.

+ Reply to Thread