Matrox G550 + SyncMaster 204B - Hardware

This is a discussion on Matrox G550 + SyncMaster 204B - Hardware ; Hello, in theory, this combination should work up to 1600 x 1200 pixels. However, the most I can get is 1600 x 1024 (with odd aspect ratio). If I try to configure 1600 x 1200 (via sax2 / SuSE 10.2) ...

  1. Matrox G550 + SyncMaster 204B

    Hello,

    in theory, this combination should work up to 1600 x 1200 pixels.
    However, the most I can get is 1600 x 1024 (with odd aspect ratio).
    If I try to configure 1600 x 1200 (via sax2 / SuSE 10.2) the screen
    stays black.

    I tried analog/digital cable as well.

    Any ideas, suggestions, what might be wrong?

    Thanks in advance

    Harald

  2. Re: Matrox G550 + SyncMaster 204B

    Harald Finster writes:
    >Hello,
    >
    >in theory, this combination should work up to 1600 x 1200 pixels.
    >However, the most I can get is 1600 x 1024 (with odd aspect ratio).
    >If I try to configure 1600 x 1200 (via sax2 / SuSE 10.2) the screen
    >stays black.
    >
    >I tried analog/digital cable as well.
    >
    >Any ideas, suggestions, what might be wrong?

    In the XFree-4.3 days I needed a proprietary matrox driver to get
    above IIRC 800x600 on a G450. Maybe this is similar.

    If all else fails, you can buy some cheap card with DVI output and use
    that instead of the G550. I have good experiences with Radeon 7000
    cards.

    - anton

  3. Re: Matrox G550 + SyncMaster 204B

    Hello,

    thanks a lot for your hint, Anton.
    I will try this and report here.

    Greetings Harald

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > Harald Finster writes:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>in theory, this combination should work up to 1600 x 1200 pixels.
    >>However, the most I can get is 1600 x 1024 (with odd aspect ratio).
    >>If I try to configure 1600 x 1200 (via sax2 / SuSE 10.2) the screen
    >>stays black.
    >>
    >>I tried analog/digital cable as well.
    >>
    >>Any ideas, suggestions, what might be wrong?

    > In the XFree-4.3 days I needed a proprietary matrox driver to get
    > above IIRC 800x600 on a G450. Maybe this is similar.
    >
    > If all else fails, you can buy some cheap card with DVI output and use
    > that instead of the G550. I have good experiences with Radeon 7000
    > cards.
    >
    > - anton

  4. Re: Matrox G550 + SyncMaster 204B

    Harald Finster wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > thanks a lot for your hint, Anton.
    > I will try this and report here.

    seems, that I will have to wait for a new version of the driver:
    I tried
    ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive...4-4.4.0.tar.gz
    ran 'install.sh' and got an error message telling me, that the driver doas not support
    my version of x-server.
    Alternatively I tried to compile the driver from the sources.
    My 'guess' was using version 7.0.0, which failed due to several compiler
    errors (UCHAR not defined ...)
    As my version of xorg is 7.2-26, I assume, that I am lost (for the moment).

    Greetings Harald

+ Reply to Thread