Looking for a PCI softmodem - Hardware

This is a discussion on Looking for a PCI softmodem - Hardware ; This might sound kinda strage in a Linux NG, but actually I'm looking for a cheap PCI softmodem aka Winmodem. In my Laptops I got such and apparently they are kinda Telephone-Line soundcard. Now I'd like to setup an Asterisk ...

  1. Looking for a PCI softmodem

    This might sound kinda strage in a Linux NG, but actually I'm
    looking for a cheap PCI softmodem aka Winmodem. In my Laptops I
    got such and apparently they are kinda Telephone-Line soundcard.

    Now I'd like to setup an Asterisk server and such a Softmodem
    seems just like this right thing for that task.

    What can you "recommend" i.e. which modems are Softmodems?

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  2. Re: Looking for a PCI softmodem

    Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:

    > This might sound kinda strage in a Linux NG, but actually I'm
    > looking for a cheap PCI softmodem aka Winmodem. In my Laptops I
    > got such and apparently they are kinda Telephone-Line soundcard.
    >
    > Now I'd like to setup an Asterisk server and such a Softmodem
    > seems just like this right thing for that task.

    I don't think you want a softmodem for Asterisk. There are hardware
    voice modems on PCI cards that would always be a better choice (in
    general) than a softmodem, IMHO.

    However, I don't know how well Asterisk works with standard modems. The
    typical Asterisk setup handles multiple lines, using specialized
    multi-line cards. Check the Asterisk website for lists of supported
    hardware before you buy any modem (WinModem or otherwise).

    http://www.asterisk.org/support/hardware

    I do know of one single-line phone card that is supported by Asterisk
    and very affordable. It goes by the name "X101P" and can be found
    on-line at (for example):

    http://www.voipdepot.ca/index.php?ma...5a2a2b464db0da

    Note that that store is in Canada. Prices and availability may differ
    in your part of the world (where ever that may be).

  3. Re: Looking for a PCI softmodem

    Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
    > This might sound kinda strage in a Linux NG, but actually I'm
    > looking for a cheap PCI softmodem aka Winmodem. In my Laptops I
    > got such and apparently they are kinda Telephone-Line soundcard.
    >
    > Now I'd like to setup an Asterisk server and such a Softmodem
    > seems just like this right thing for that task.

    With all due respect people like you should be shot at an early age.

  4. Re: Looking for a PCI softmodem

    sndive@gmail.com wrote:

    >> Now I'd like to setup an Asterisk server and such a Softmodem
    >> seems just like this right thing for that task.
    >>

    > With all due respect people like you should be shot at an early
    > age.

    May I ask you, what is so uttlery wrong about that aproach on the
    topic?

    One might call this abusing hardware in unusual ways, others call
    this hardware hacking. With your attitude Blinkenlights wouldn't
    exist (see for the hardware details of Blinkenlights for how
    they abused a 386 as a phase cut dimmer).

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  5. Re: Looking for a PCI softmodem

    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    <09cb64-2hf.ln1@darkstargames.dnsalias.net>, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:

    >This might sound kinda strage in a Linux NG, but actually I'm
    >looking for a cheap PCI softmodem aka Winmodem.

    Actually, you are not looking for a Winmodem (which is a trademark of
    US Robotics, and never worked with Linux), but something that has been
    nicknamed a 'Linmodem'. For that, hit the Modem HOWTO, and find a copy
    of Rob Clark's old "Winmodems are not modems" web page. Unfortunately,
    it hasn't been maintained since about 2003, but it should help:

    [compton ~]$ egrep " (OK|LM|WM|\?) " pci_list.txt.12.02.04 | awk '{print
    $1}' | sort | uniq -c | column
    252 ? 70 LM 17 OK 215 WM
    [compton ~]$

    That says there are 252 PCI modems whose status is unknown, 70 are soft
    modems with Linux drivers, 17 are full hardware modems, and 215 are
    soft modems without Linux drivers. Sorta gives you a clue. See

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 48060 Mar 13 2002 Conexant+Rockwell-modem-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 46213 Feb 25 2001 Linmodem-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 338050 Jun 17 2005 Modem-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 12950 Apr 29 2001 Winmodems-and-Linux-HOWTO

    >Now I'd like to setup an Asterisk server and such a Softmodem
    >seems just like this right thing for that task.

    The other main problem with software modems is that the drivers tend to
    be distribution/version specific, such that the driver that works in a
    Red Hat 7.0 distribution with a 2.2.16 kernel (yes, some of the drivers
    are that old) won't work with RH 7.1 - FC1 which used the 2.4.x kernel,
    never mind something using a 2.6.x kernel.

    >What can you "recommend" i.e. which modems are Softmodems?

    I would not. Get one of the real PCI modems, such as the USR5609,
    USR5610, USR5613, or one using the Lucent "Venus" or Topic TP560i
    chipsets that will work with all distributions and kernels.

    Old guy

  6. Re: Looking for a PCI softmodem

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > I would not. Get one of the real PCI modems, such as the
    > USR5609, USR5610, USR5613, or one using the Lucent "Venus" or
    > Topic TP560i chipsets that will work with all distributions and
    > kernels.

    I got tons of those real modems in my spare part box. When I got
    ISDN they got kinda obsolete, but now a friend wants to build an
    Asterisk box and since he got a old analog line he needs some
    adaptor for this. Internet connection is made via DSL, so there
    is no need for a real modem. Voice comes over the telephone
    line, the signal get's digitized, but instead of being fed into
    a softmodem-software it's going through ALSA and Asterisk onto
    the HDD.

    I don't want a real modem for god's sake. My intention is not in
    dial up, but to use the softmodem sorta like a soundcard for the
    telephone line. I know that many real PCI modems have a
    connector to attach them to a sound card, but the box I we're
    talking about (an old Pentium2) has no onboard sound and it
    makes no sense to add a soundcard to it anyway.

    I'm aware, that there are special voice modems (heck, what those
    are called modems for, they're just telephone line soundcards),
    but those normally come in flavours capable of connecting to 4
    or more lines. But that is pure overkill in this case.

    It's funny to see Pawlow's reflex in work here. A guy (me) asks
    for a softmodem. Not how to make it work, or using it for dial
    up, but people already fall into their trained patterns instead
    of thinking what I wrote. I clearly stated, that I want to use
    it as a kind of telephone line sound card, nothing more. This
    might sound insane, but is it?

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  7. Re: Looking for a PCI softmodem

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    , Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:

    >Voice comes over the telephone line, the signal get's digitized, but
    >instead of being fed into a softmodem-software it's going through ALSA
    >and Asterisk onto the HDD.

    Sounds like a voice-modem.

    [compton ~]$ grep -ic voice pci_list.txt.12.02.04
    27
    [compton ~]$

    The web page I referred you to lists 27 of them. Did you bother to look
    at the HOWTOs?

    >I don't want a real modem for god's sake. My intention is not in
    >dial up, but to use the softmodem sorta like a soundcard for the
    >telephone line.

    Look up-thread - I showed you that the web page listed 285 software
    modems, or did you miss that too.

    >I'm aware, that there are special voice modems (heck, what those
    >are called modems for, they're just telephone line soundcards),
    >but those normally come in flavours capable of connecting to 4
    >or more lines. But that is pure overkill in this case.

    So you've looked at all 27 listed. OK - I'm done.

    Old guy

  8. Re: Looking for a PCI softmodem

    > This might sound kinda strage in a Linux NG, but actually I'm
    > looking for a cheap PCI softmodem aka Winmodem. In my Laptops I
    > got such and apparently they are kinda Telephone-Line soundcard.

    Just FYI, you might be interested in my simple Linux answering
    machine article at http://www.linuxtoys.org/

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread