Creative VideoBlaster SE - Hardware

This is a discussion on Creative VideoBlaster SE - Hardware ; I've got a Creative VideoBlaster SE ISA video card, and I'm afraid it's not a PnP card - it was made on 1993 and the system requeriments mention DOS >=3.3 and Windows >=3.1 on a 80386. I am not sure ...

  1. Creative VideoBlaster SE

    I've got a Creative VideoBlaster SE ISA video card, and I'm afraid it's
    not a PnP card - it was made on 1993 and the system requeriments mention
    DOS >=3.3 and Windows >=3.1 on a 80386.

    I am not sure it works, but as I can find no non-PnP ISA device listing
    app, I'd like to know what do you suggest to see if the device is alive.

    And do you know if there's any driver for this card?

    --
    Nuno J. Silva
    Lisbon, Portugal

    Using Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5

    Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
    Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)

    -=-=-
    Thinking is dangerous. It leads to ideas.
    -- Seen on #Debian

  2. Re: Creative VideoBlaster SE

    "Nuno J. Silva" wrote:
    > I've got a Creative VideoBlaster SE ISA video card, and I'm afraid it's
    > not a PnP card

    IMHO I used to prefer ISA cards which got their settings from jumpers. I
    never liked ISA pnp or card which needed software to get configured.

    > it was made on 1993 and the system requeriments mention
    > DOS >=3.3 and Windows >=3.1 on a 80386.

    I would guess that video4linux was implemented some time around 1996 so
    the card was then already kind of obsolete.

    > I am not sure it works, but as I can find no non-PnP ISA device listing
    > app, I'd like to know what do you suggest to see if the device is alive.

    The usual way to detect ISA cards was that the driver wrote some data to
    some adresses and then read data and checked if it got the data it
    expected. Sometimes you had to tell the drivers which address and IRQ a
    card used. Sometimes the drivers was able to try different addresses.
    Sometimes it was important in which order drivers were probing for
    hardware to avoid lockups.

    > And do you know if there's any driver for this card?

    I don't know of any such driver and I doubt that there is any.

    regards Henrik
    hc8(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    root@variousus.net root@localhost

+ Reply to Thread