Best version of Linux for a Toshiba 445CDT with 48M of ram and 1.3G hd? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Best version of Linux for a Toshiba 445CDT with 48M of ram and 1.3G hd? - Hardware ; Hi all, I happen to get a Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDT with 48M of ram and a 1.3G hard drive. All the hardware seems to work ok but it has a messed up version of W98SE on it at the ...

  1. Best version of Linux for a Toshiba 445CDT with 48M of ram and 1.3G hd?

    Hi all,

    I happen to get a Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDT with
    48M of ram and a 1.3G hard drive. All the hardware
    seems to work ok but it has a messed up version of
    W98SE on it at the moment. I would like to install
    from scratch a version of linux on it but I am worried
    that the modem will not work. After googling most
    say it maps to S1 automatically but I am still worried
    about the amount of ram in the machine, don't havc
    the money to get a 128M ram card for it so I am
    stuck with the 48M of ram for now. So, what
    should I try?

    thanks,
    charles.....

  2. Re: Best version of Linux for a Toshiba 445CDT with 48M of ram and 1.3G hd?

    On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:13:20 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I happen to get a Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDT with
    > 48M of ram and a 1.3G hard drive. All the hardware
    > seems to work ok but it has a messed up version of
    > W98SE on it at the moment. I would like to install
    > from scratch a version of linux on it but I am worried
    > that the modem will not work. After googling most
    > say it maps to S1 automatically but I am still worried
    > about the amount of ram in the machine, don't havc
    > the money to get a 128M ram card for it so I am
    > stuck with the 48M of ram for now. So, what
    > should I try?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

    To install from scratch, there are only about half a dozen choices. I'd
    recommend Gentoo over LFS, though that would be good too.

  3. Re: Best version of Linux for a Toshiba 445CDT with 48M of ram and 1.3G hd?

    On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:25:45 -0500, Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:13:20 GMT, ***** charles
    > wrote:
    >>

    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I happen to get a Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDT with
    >> 48M of ram and a 1.3G hard drive. All the hardware
    >> seems to work ok but it has a messed up version of
    >> W98SE on it at the moment. I would like to install
    >> from scratch a version of linux on it but I am worried
    >> that the modem will not work. After googling most
    >> say it maps to S1 automatically but I am still worried
    >> about the amount of ram in the machine, don't havc
    >> the money to get a 128M ram card for it so I am
    >> stuck with the 48M of ram for now. So, what
    >> should I try?
    >>

    > Try Damn Small Linux.

    But he said he wanted to install from scratch.

  4. Re: Best version of Linux for a Toshiba 445CDT with 48M of ram and 1.3G hd?

    On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:57:19 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, ray
    wrote:

    > To install from scratch, there are only about half a dozen choices. I'd
    > recommend Gentoo over LFS, though that would be good too.

    Satellite Pro 445CDT seems to be a Pentium I ~133MHz and he says he has 48MB RAM
    on it. I have a Toshiba Libretto Pentium I 166MHz with 64MB RAM and it took
    about 10 days to do the install of Gentoo. It takes about a week each time I run
    emerge -sync and emerge --ask --update world - and that's after I've stopped
    everything from running before I start! More RAM would help a lot but I'm max'ed
    out at 64MB (it won't take anything more).

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: Best version of Linux for a Toshiba 445CDT with 48M of ram and 1.3G hd?

    On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:32:14 -0600, Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:57:19 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, ray
    > wrote:
    >
    >> To install from scratch, there are only about half a dozen choices. I'd
    >> recommend Gentoo over LFS, though that would be good too.

    > Satellite Pro 445CDT seems to be a Pentium I ~133MHz and he says he has 48MB RAM
    > on it. I have a Toshiba Libretto Pentium I 166MHz with 64MB RAM and it took
    > about 10 days to do the install of Gentoo. It takes about a week each time I run
    > emerge -sync and emerge --ask --update world - and that's after I've stopped
    > everything from running before I start! More RAM would help a lot but I'm max'ed
    > out at 64MB (it won't take anything more).

    FWIW - I've installed Elive on a P166 with 64mb, and it runs quite
    decently. Elive is a Live CD based on Debian with Enlightenment desktop -
    it also has an install button on the desktop.

  6. Re: Best version of Linux for a Toshiba 445CDT with 48M of ram and 1.3G hd?

    "Nuno J. Silva" wrote in message

    I don't read attachments as a rule. Please post in regular
    ascii form if you want everyone to read it.

    later....

  7. Re: Best version of Linux for a Toshiba 445CDT with 48M of ram and 1.3G hd?

    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.12.28.18.15.14.486769@zianet.com...
    > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:32:14 -0600, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:57:19 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, ray

    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> To install from scratch, there are only about half a dozen choices. I'd
    > >> recommend Gentoo over LFS, though that would be good too.

    > > Satellite Pro 445CDT seems to be a Pentium I ~133MHz and he says he has

    48MB RAM
    > > on it. I have a Toshiba Libretto Pentium I 166MHz with 64MB RAM and it

    took
    > > about 10 days to do the install of Gentoo. It takes about a week each

    time I run
    > > emerge -sync and emerge --ask --update world - and that's after I've

    stopped
    > > everything from running before I start! More RAM would help a lot but

    I'm max'ed
    > > out at 64MB (it won't take anything more).

    > FWIW - I've installed Elive on a P166 with 64mb, and it runs quite
    > decently. Elive is a Live CD based on Debian with Enlightenment desktop -
    > it also has an install button on the desktop.

    Thanks for the response. I was thinking of DSL but I will give Elive a
    try/look. Problem is the 48M of ram not the speed of the cpu. I would like
    to load latest version of Ubuntu but it requires 192M of ram just to
    install. This computer can go up to 144M but that's still not much now
    adays. Besides the ram stick is probably more expensive than the whole
    laptop.

    later....

  8. Re: Best version of Linux for a Toshiba 445CDT with 48M of ram and 1.3G hd?

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 04:53:30 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    > newsan.2006.12.28.18.15.14.486769@zianet.com...
    >> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:32:14 -0600, Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >> > Satellite Pro 445CDT seems to be a Pentium I ~133MHz and he says he has

    > 48MB RAM
    >> > on it. I have a Toshiba Libretto Pentium I 166MHz with 64MB RAM and it

    > took
    >> > about 10 days to do the install of Gentoo. It takes about a week each

    > time I run
    >> > emerge -sync and emerge --ask --update world - and that's after I've

    > stopped
    >> > everything from running before I start! More RAM would help a lot but

    > I'm max'ed
    >> > out at 64MB (it won't take anything more).

    >> FWIW - I've installed Elive on a P166 with 64mb, and it runs quite
    >> decently. Elive is a Live CD based on Debian with Enlightenment desktop -
    >> it also has an install button on the desktop.

    > Thanks for the response. I was thinking of DSL but I will give Elive a
    > try/look. Problem is the 48M of ram not the speed of the cpu. I would like
    > to load latest version of Ubuntu but it requires 192M of ram just to
    > install. This computer can go up to 144M but that's still not much now
    > adays. Besides the ram stick is probably more expensive than the whole
    > laptop.
    >
    > later....

    I don't know if Elive will work with 48mb - as I indicated, I've installed
    it and run the live CD with 64mb. IMHO - it's a lot more fully featured
    than DSL.

+ Reply to Thread